Glory to Christ be forever!
Hello... I've noticed a trend in web-development which I wanted to share. I hope to gain some new perspectives on this.
Many developers have adopted a Christian terminology when relating to their products or software. For example, proponents of javascript libraries often call themselves \"Evangalests\" and are referred to as such on an official level (ie. that's their real title). One particular web developers biography states that he \"evangelizes\" his methodology as \"the one true way\" to ensure software success. I find this strange and it makes me uncomfortable. I know there is a lot of anti-Christian sentiment out there. Unfortunately, it seems like this is a bit of an undercurrent in the web development community and I really don't like it.
Any thoughts, ideas or comments on this are appreciated. I welcome any pointers on how to manage / approach this kind of a thing.
Thanks,
Nikola
Be the first person to like this.
I'm getting a feeling that is just a case of the language evolving. Taking words or concepts we are familiar with and expanding their meaning or using a play on words.
Example, my brother is a luthier.
What does that mean? Does that mean he expounds what Luther taught? Nope, absolutely not.
What is the root word? Lute. As in the instrument.
So does he play a lute? Nope, but getting closer.
He actually builds violins from scratch. The same title applies to people who build and work on various other instruments. Originally the type of instrument the people in this profession worked on was the lute, and as more instruments were made rather than calling them a violiner or something else they went with what was familiar.
Evangelist is a common word in this case. Many words today have meanings that were not originally intended at all. Its just the way language evolved.
Examples of this ... look up Hussy. How about Gay.
I'm not saying its a good thing or right, just the way it is.
Personally I wouldn't worry too much about this. Language does change and what a word meant yesterday may not be what it means today. Take the word Spam for instance. What matters is that we, as Orthodox Christians, use the words properly in our day to day lives, and also live the meanings. A computer programmer or web designer does not live the life as an \"evangelist\" in the same, and proper, way as an Orthodox Christian is called to.
Even if there is an attempt to scandalize the meaning of the words, which I don't think there is in this case, that can be overcome, with God's help, by our living up to our calling.
Charles Compston
\"Spam spam spam spamady spam spam spam spam...\"
If you know the words sing along!
Truth be told, I find it more disconcerting when I browse the religious section of many bookstores and see tomes extolling Jesus' business acumen, or His motivational/organizational prowess. (And sadly, this trend goes back at least to the start of the 20th Century. If I'm wrong, please correct...)
Marie Moffitt
Of course language is constantly changing!
The first time I saw \"evangelist\" used in geekdom was to describe Chris DiBona's job at a SiliValley linux company whose name I have forgotten (LinuxCare? VA Linux perhaps? It wasn't SUSE.). It must have been around 1996. The linux geeks felt they were spreading good news about a better system and I don't think anyone ever thought they were being offensive. Of that pioneering group, my son was Orthodox and Chris DiBona was Roman Catholic.
We grumbled when Microsoft co-opted \"icon,\" but it has paradoxically made it easier to explain the concept of religious icons to non-Orthodox.
As Heraclitus put it, \"All is flux.\"
This has been a good read. Thanks everyone for your feedback/perspectives. I look forward to reading more God willing.
I don't think this is a matter of linguistics as much as it is a sort of 'thumbing the nose' at Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ... There are other examples to this effect as well. For instance, in \"PC\" talk a daemon (ie. demon) is a hidden background process which controls various things without the user being aware of them. I'm also seeing alot of a certain profane number in source code.
This could be, I suppose, a 'sort of' collective sick sense of humor perhaps.
Regardless, thank you all for your feedback thus far...
Russell, I agree, why worry too much about it? But Nikola if its a sin in your heart, what do you think should be done about it?
Orthohippy, I thought the lyrics went, \"Spamity spam spam spamity spam spam spam tastes so good it is so yummy, just like honey.\" Or something like that???
Poetisa, I find it WAY more disconcerting that the name Jesus or Christ is a cuss or a curse to many and they don't even realize it.
Valahia, I never contended that luthier is a recent word, I was merely relating what my brother learned about the history of his occupation. It is a fact that the first (or at least earliest) stringed instrument was a lute and the MODERN translation of that word to describe the original makers is luthier. But if memory serves the lute predates the English language (working off the top of my head anyone know for sure?) so perhaps you are correct. But I think you missed my point, I was illustrating how language evolves, such as in this case about evangelism.
While we are on the subject of misuse of words (if that's what we can call this thread) has anyone else noticed how words we orthodox use are being used differently in other churches and these erroneous meanings slowly creeping into the mainstream.
Examples:
The Roman Catholics ignore that the word Baptize, comes from the Greek word Baptizmo which means to immerse. Seems odd to us to Baptize someone in that light by sprinkling, and thus to some in society think baptize means to sprinkle.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints (mormons) say that their founder brought us the \"restored gospel.\" Ok that sounds ludicrous because Gospel comes from the Greek word Euengallion (sp?) which means, \"good news\" and to the orthodox or traditional mindset has always referred to the good news of Christ (his death burial and ressurection DBR). So how the freak do you restore the truth of Christ when the facts never changed about his DBR in the first place? I believe they are talking about restoring the bible, changing its meaning in a misleading way.
The Jehovah's witnesses like to say you should not call anyone \"father\" because of the bible verse that says not to (which specific verse slips my mind for now) call anyone Father for we have only one Father in heaven. Ignoring that in the Greek there are different words for father, as in God, daddy, priest (presbyter) which all just happened to translate into English, \"F/father.\"
I went off again and dialogued. Sorry. I shut up now and go back to my corner.
(goes off the corner humming Spam spam spam)
Somsoc wrote:
But Nikola if its a sin in your heart, what do you think should be done about it?
I don't know and I'm not sure that a proactive 'plan' is what I'm looking for or even viable for that matter. I'm more interested in just gaining some new perspectives on this sort of thing. Personally, I ignore / dismiss this sort of thing and Pray that God keep this mentality far from me.
Nikola wrote:
I don't know and I'm not sure that a proactive 'plan' is what I'm looking for or even viable for that matter. I'm more interested in just gaining some new perspectives on this sort of thing. Personally, I ignore / dismiss this sort of thing and Pray that God keep this mentality far from me.
yea, Orthodoxy doesn't really have an organization to really get out in the media and address an issue in society we might have.
Think of it, every time someone says something anti hebrew the local news has a rabbi talking about how this is a disease (literally) amongst other things.
Not that I agree or disagree with such tactics but I admire that they are getting things done.
Or maybe there is something to be said for just accepting adversity and just knowing that God can take any crappy situation and make it into a positive.
Maybe that's the lesson here?
Somsoc wrote:
Nikola wrote:
yea, Orthodoxy doesn't really have an organization to really get out in the media and address an issue in society we might have.
Think of it, every time someone says something anti hebrew the local news has a rabbi talking about how this is a disease (literally) amongst other things.
Not that I agree or disagree with such tactics but I admire that they are getting things done.
Or maybe there is something to be said for just accepting adversity and just knowing that God can take any crappy situation and make it into a positive.
Maybe that's the lesson here?
Only God knows my friend.
Poetisa wrote:
Truth be told, I find it more disconcerting when I browse the religious section of many bookstores and see tomes extolling Jesus' business acumen, or His motivational/organizational prowess. (And sadly, this trend goes back at least to the start of the 20th Century. If I'm wrong, please correct...)
My understanding is that it gets it's start in the late 19th century. Either way it's heretical and destroys many people's lives.
Ask yourself, \"Who are the Evangelists?\" When I ask myself this question the answer remains clear. I would contend that any other use of the word is inappropriate. I understand that words all came from somewhere and are constantly changing but we should respect those Holy words which refer to the Living Body of Christ and His Ministry.