Gordie Thomas
As a retired psych R.N. and someone who has dealt with his own post-combat mental health issues under the guidance of both a medical practitioner and more than one father confessor, I feel compelled to point out that this has the potential of being a VERY dangerous thread.

None of us are your spiritual father and so none of us is in the position to give you specific advice or counsel for your specific situation.

We can talk in generalities and point you toward this resource and that resource, but the Orthodox Way is to embark in those directions ONLY under the guidance of a spiritual father. Will you take all of the guidance you've received here to your spiritual father for his instruction?

I have never read any church father (or Holy Scripture) directing us to do anything because we feel like doing it. On the contrary, we are repeatedly directed to "do the thing [we] do not want to do".

Many Orthodox Christians are not aware that we should not even undertake a fast, even if it is printed very clearly on our Orthodox Christian calendar, without first approaching our spiritual father for guidance in conjunction with confession. The discussion may be quite brief and we may end up being instructed to pray exactly as we have been praying and fasting as we have been fasting and giving alms as we have been giving and doing good works as we have been doing, but we will be going forth with instructions which call for OBEDIENCE, which is greater by far than self-devised good intentions.

Further, it is truly irresponsible and dangerous for anyone in this thread to suggest that you simply not take prescribed medication and "put your trust in The Lord".

Ask your spiritual father if he is willing/able to come to a session with your medical practitioner. I doubt if the two will see eye-to-eye concerning your personal situation, but it would give your spiritual father a chance to discern your practitioner's diagnosis and treatment intent without it being filtered by you.

Bottom line FOR ME: medication may kill my body, but absence from Divine Liturgy may kill my soul.

If you see The Eucharist as central to your salvation, through the guidance of your spiritual father, then even if your life is filled with all types of trials until the day you die, my understanding of The Orthodox Way is that you WILL prevail if you remain humble and obedient.

Lord have mercy!
Last update on May 8, 10:39 am by Gordie Thomas.
Like (1)