Viewing Single Post
Reader Michael Malloy
I believe in many ways, it is best to forget as well as forgive. If we dwell on past wrongs we fail to release the evil they represent and our lives are poisoned by the memories. I speak from personal experience here. As a choir director I was tested constantly. Members of the choir gossiped about me behind my back, they complained to the priest, the rebelled openly. This cause me great stress and sometimes I failed to keep my feelings inside. In the end I failed as a choir director because I could not minister to the members of the choir and became obsessed with thier failings. It was an ugly situation. The more I tried to be a good choir director the worse the situation became. In the end I was removed, painfully on a Holy Friday in front of the whole congregation, and I went into a period of seclusion for about two years. I was filled with anger, hurt, and resentment over the way I was treated. In the end, the love of Christ was the only thing left and I returned to the Church. I now sing with that same choir, warts and all, and I don\'t pay attention to the flaws in leadership of it in the current configuration. I\'m able to attend Church, worship, and hear great sermons again.
Naturally I would rather sing in a well disciplined and competent choir, but I partake in what is available and don\'t worry about it any more. This is all the more difficult for me because I have a bachelor of music degree and I am painfully aware of every musical error. I ignore the bad singing and concentrate on community worship now.
Reader Michael Malloy
Be the first person to like this.