Viewing Single Post
Thread: Convert-itis
Donna Farley
I\'m not sure how come we only seem to hear about \'convert-itis\' in the Orthodox Church. People convert to other churches all the time....hmm.
\\"-itis\\" means irritation. My husband has often included in his sermons an exhortation to keep loving the people who irritate us.
Sometimes I remind him to also exhort the irritators not to lead the other people into temptation...:-)
I am a convert of over 20 years now, and the enthusiasm of young newbies amuses me. I enjoy and love the simplicity and piety of many cradle folks as well.
I can\'t however find much amusement in the elder brother types who sulk about what a great party the returned prodigals are having.
Having a pile of zealous converts around your parish community is a lot like having a lot of children in the liturgy-- you are going to get some noise and embarrassment and distraction and discomfort happening. But don\'t you think the joy more than makes up for it? If you jump on them-- kids or converts-- just for being themselves, you may end up alienating them from the Church.
And that would be to spurn the good gift of God. It would be to deny the apostolic command to go and make disciples of all nations.
And maybe that\'s why only Orthodox seem to get \'convert-itis\'. We have been so busy conserving tradition for so long, we have forgotten that the whole point is to pass it on. Like kids and converts, it is alive.
Be the first person to like this.