Manoli Maginas
I recently started a group for the Forerunner I don\'t have the link, but you can search \"Forerunner\" and it should come up. It\'s in the Saints category. I posted the following question in the group yesterday:
I was wondering, maybe Fr. Nick could answer this the best, but anybody\'s input is welcome, if Engomia (Lamentations) exist for the Forerunner. They exist for Christ and His Mother (Although, strangely, i heard that the EP forbade the Theotokion Engomia, but for some reason, my Church and every other Dormition Church i know still does them =D), but I don\'t know if they exist for the Forerunner or for any other Saint. If anybody knows if they do, and/or where I could find them for any other Saint, I\'d be glad to know.
Concerning the ones for the Forerunner, if they don\'t exist, would it be possible to write them? I mean...Sts. Romanos, Andrew of Crete, Kassiane, etc... were just ordinary people. They turned out to be Saints, but I know some hymns say \"by so and so\" who if he\'s a Saint, i\'ve never heard of him. And I was thinking something like the following to the melody \"I Zoe En Tafo\" (The first Stanza-Byzantine Style) to be sung on Aug. 29, the day of his beheading:
The Impious Herod * not a fan of thy preaching * promised to the little girl whatever she wanted * and she asked for thy most-precious head.
etc, etc, etc.
Thanks for the consideration,
In the Baptized Lord,
Emmanuel (Manoli the Canoli)
Now, Fr. Nick is so far the only priest in the group, but on here, maybe Fr. Athanasios might be a really good person to answer this question. He seems to answer questions once and for all on a lot of the posts he commends on :D So I was wondering exactly what the post says, if there are any engomia for Saints and if not, if it would be possible to write them.
Be the first person to like this.
CampNazFanatic wrote:
Concerning the ones for the Forerunner, if they don't exist, would it be possible to write them? I mean...Sts. Romanos, Andrew of Crete, Kassiane, etc... were just ordinary people. They turned out to be Saints, but I know some hymns say "by so and so" who if he's a Saint, i've never heard of him. And I was thinking something like the following to the melody "I Zoe En Tafo" (The first Stanza-Byzantine Style) to be sung on Aug. 29, the day of his beheading:
The Impious Herod * not a fan of thy preaching * promised to the little girl whatever she wanted * and she asked for thy most-precious head.
Hey Manoli the Canoli,
Certainly it would be possible to write them. After all, we have apolytikia for the more modern saints like St. Nektarios (to the tune of \"Ton Synanarhon Logon\") and Herman of Alaska, don\'t we? Somebody had to write them. Plus an entire vespers dedicated to St. Nektarios. Just because the majority of the great hymnographers and Church Fathers lived a long time ago, doesn\'t mean there cannot be more of them today! I don\'t know of an engomia for the Forerunner or any other saints but if I find one, I will let you know.
Manny (the other Manoli)
michalis orfanos
i know that exist engomia for saint barbara. and saint marina because i hear it every year
Could you or someone else post these engomia for Sts. Barbara and Marina?