Viewing Single Post
Manoli Maginas
BlackK wrote:
MatSIE wrote:
Yet another comment - a Symposium on some Western Saints was given at St Marks Orthodox (WR) Antiochian a few years ago - Here's a link to the talk delivered by Dr Alexandra Olsen of Denver University about St Cuthbert. (Including the icon that now hangs in the private chapel of His Grace Bp Basil....)
I do not wish to sound like a wet blanket, but the PDF newsletter which comes up in this URL link is rather confusing. Is this church Orthodox, under the Antiochian jurisdiction, or is it Anglican, Uniate or Roman Catholic? Their church calendar is peppered with references to services held in honour of post-schism western saints, as well as rosaries, evensong and masses.
I have no problem with pre-schism western saints being venerated by the Orthodox Church (and about time, too!), but just making the point that not everything western is necessarily Orthodox.
Rosaries? post-schism Saints? I didn\'t see any. Then again, I don\'t know a lot about Saints, but I didn\'t see any ones that stood out. I saw a few that I didn\'t recognize, but I\'m sure that a WRO church wouldn\'t celebrate post-schism saints. I also think that Mass and Evensong are just western names for Liturgy and Vespers...It was definitely Orthodox, and the Mother Inez reference at the top of the calendar page is the Abbess of the Monastery in Guatemala City, Guatemala and the Hogar Raphael Ayau, the orphanage where my brother was adopted from. This is defininitely Orthodox!
Be the first person to like this.