Here's a link to an account of his life:
http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/stcuth.htm
After reading this the first time, it was like a whole new world was opened up about the Orthodoxy in the West. Such a detailed account shows that the saints of the West were the equals of their Eastern counterparts. While we're on the subject, are there any other saints of the West whom anyone admires?
Be the first person to like this.
Mat SIE Eklund
That\'s great - looking forward to it - let me know if you need a proofreader!
Mat SIE
Donna Farley
Thanks for the offer, but it passed the proofreading stage a while ago and is already at the publisher.....;-) The next step is for the editor (Jane Meyer, who is on the OC) to choose an illustrator and get the rest of the production schedule in gear. I wish it would be out sooner, but these things take time!
St Marks is very much an Antiochian Church. It is highly regarded by the Vicar of Western Rite, Bishop Basil. This church is large thriving and extremely active. It has spead Orthodoxy throughout Colorado and the US.
We must first of all remember that the terms Orthodox and Roman Catholic, when used in an historical context are retrospective terms.
The situation in Britain before the Great Schism (and the times leading up to it) was one of huge monastic and spiritual growth.
As Britain was so far cut off from Rome, in geographic as well as jurisdictional control, it developed in a beautiful way. Instead of round the Patriarch of Rome, Britain developed round the local centres of Christainity, the monasteries.
This was later re-defined by the Church of Rome by the synod of Whitby in 665 when the Church of Rome re-affirmed things such as the dating of Easter within Britain.
Some people refer to this time of difference with Rome as \"Celtic Christianity\", I personally prefer the term \"British Christianity\", though only because it helps to remove some of the romanticism attached.
Today, I am pleased to say, is this country\'s patron saint day.
Saint David of Wales. St. David of Wales lived and worked near where I am at the moment in South West Wales and indeed, my college was founded as St. David\'s College by Bishop Burgess in 1822. It was meant to be built 10 miles up the road at Llanddewi Brefi, the town built on the place of the remarkable miracle of St. David when a mound rose beneath him when teaching. Llanddewi Brefi translates into English as Llan=Holy Dewi=David Brefi=Brains/Teaching.
Back in England, the patron is St. Edmund the Confessor, though St. George was adopted fairly recently after the introduction of the Order of the Garter (okay, I have an interesting idea of \'recent\').
ps. I shouldn\'t be awake now, I just wanted to hear BBC Radio 4 turn on because I haven\'t before, two more minutes!
Manoli Maginas
BlackK wrote:
MatSIE wrote:
Yet another comment - a Symposium on some Western Saints was given at St Marks Orthodox (WR) Antiochian a few years ago - Here's a link to the talk delivered by Dr Alexandra Olsen of Denver University about St Cuthbert. (Including the icon that now hangs in the private chapel of His Grace Bp Basil....)
I do not wish to sound like a wet blanket, but the PDF newsletter which comes up in this URL link is rather confusing. Is this church Orthodox, under the Antiochian jurisdiction, or is it Anglican, Uniate or Roman Catholic? Their church calendar is peppered with references to services held in honour of post-schism western saints, as well as rosaries, evensong and masses.
I have no problem with pre-schism western saints being venerated by the Orthodox Church (and about time, too!), but just making the point that not everything western is necessarily Orthodox.
Rosaries? post-schism Saints? I didn\'t see any. Then again, I don\'t know a lot about Saints, but I didn\'t see any ones that stood out. I saw a few that I didn\'t recognize, but I\'m sure that a WRO church wouldn\'t celebrate post-schism saints. I also think that Mass and Evensong are just western names for Liturgy and Vespers...It was definitely Orthodox, and the Mother Inez reference at the top of the calendar page is the Abbess of the Monastery in Guatemala City, Guatemala and the Hogar Raphael Ayau, the orphanage where my brother was adopted from. This is defininitely Orthodox!
Manoli Maginas
All the Saints that people have said, plus Blessed Augustine, St. Jerome, and of course St. Hilary of Potiers (a guy...mid-January some time). He is considered one of the Fathers of the Western Church, along with Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome. We learned about this in Religion. I don\'t wanna start a political debate here, but if Clinton wins the election, I am moving to Greece and praying to St. Hilary every day for America!
James Anthony
Another site for Western saints is groups.yahoo.com./group/celt-saints
Donna Farley
23 days to blog launch!
I am starting a new blog dedicated to Saint Cuthbert, called HALIWERFOLC.
http://stcuthbert.blogspot.com will go live on St. Cuthbert\'s day, March 20th AD 2009
This Friday, Feb. 27th, I am interviewed about St. Cuthbert on the Come Receive the Light podcast. It will be a short spot in a longer program with other topics. A link should appear at the top of this page then:
http://www.myocn.net/index.php/CRTL/
I also run a Facebook group called HALIWERFOLC, dedicated to St. Cuthbert. If you are on Facebook, come check it out by searching for HALIWERFOLC under \\"Groups\\".
Ryan McGee
I just finished Bede\'s Ecclesiastical History. Overall, I was surprised at how many distinctly Latin Catholic beliefs there were expressed, namely:
1) The Pope of Rome\'s supreme authority over all the churches of Christendom.
2) Confirmation done personally by the bishop.
3) Viaticum - the receiving of the Eucharist by the dying.
4) Emphasis on Catholic = Roman
Bede does a great job in presenting the lives of holy saints. However, it seems to me that, even centuries before the great schism, the West and East were not on the same exact page of things.
Donna Farley
Friday, February 27, 2009
The Saint Cuthbert podcast interview is now up!
Go to this web address--
http://www.myocn.net/index.php/CRTL/
Today\'s program features St. John the Compassionate mission. My short interview about St. Cuthbert is at about 1:15 of the file.
St. Aelfric and St Edmund are two Anglo-Saxon saints that are worth reading.
StGeorge wrote:
I just finished Bede's Ecclesiastical History. Overall, I was surprised at how many distinctly Latin Catholic beliefs there were expressed, namely:
1) The Pope of Rome's supreme authority over all the churches of Christendom.
2) Confirmation done personally by the bishop.
3) Viaticum - the receiving of the Eucharist by the dying.
4) Emphasis on Catholic = Roman
Bede does a great job in presenting the lives of holy saints. However, it seems to me that, even centuries before the great schism, the West and East were not on the same exact page of things.
Bede\'s view of the Papacy was not held by all, or quite possiblythe majority of clergy in acient Britain. It seems to me that I read something saying some of Bede\'s writings had been edited, if you will, later so as to make him agree with the Latin views at Whitby. I don\'t know if this is true since ancient Britain\'s history is clouded by legends.
St Augustine and Venerable Bede
Jane Meyer
Did someone say St. Brigid? I love her...