Viewing Single Post
We must first of all remember that the terms Orthodox and Roman Catholic, when used in an historical context are retrospective terms.
The situation in Britain before the Great Schism (and the times leading up to it) was one of huge monastic and spiritual growth.
As Britain was so far cut off from Rome, in geographic as well as jurisdictional control, it developed in a beautiful way. Instead of round the Patriarch of Rome, Britain developed round the local centres of Christainity, the monasteries.
This was later re-defined by the Church of Rome by the synod of Whitby in 665 when the Church of Rome re-affirmed things such as the dating of Easter within Britain.
Some people refer to this time of difference with Rome as \"Celtic Christianity\", I personally prefer the term \"British Christianity\", though only because it helps to remove some of the romanticism attached.
Today, I am pleased to say, is this country\'s patron saint day.
Saint David of Wales. St. David of Wales lived and worked near where I am at the moment in South West Wales and indeed, my college was founded as St. David\'s College by Bishop Burgess in 1822. It was meant to be built 10 miles up the road at Llanddewi Brefi, the town built on the place of the remarkable miracle of St. David when a mound rose beneath him when teaching. Llanddewi Brefi translates into English as Llan=Holy Dewi=David Brefi=Brains/Teaching.
Back in England, the patron is St. Edmund the Confessor, though St. George was adopted fairly recently after the introduction of the Order of the Garter (okay, I have an interesting idea of \'recent\').
ps. I shouldn\'t be awake now, I just wanted to hear BBC Radio 4 turn on because I haven\'t before, two more minutes!
Be the first person to like this.