Cristin Slobozeanu

Greetings from Romania! I am Cristin Slobozeanu, a Romanian Orthodox writer. I would like to share the first volume of my debut novel, Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak. It is a story about coming of age in a dystopian society, about the inner and outer stuggles for freedom of two teenagers.

"Prison. The only place in this society where everyone is equal.

Case fights for wings in a place where the sky is a ceiling. The spreading curtain of globalitarism stands in his way. A world without doors is in the making.

While he is rebelling against the world, Sayanne walks the border between the present and the past. When everything dies, the illusion crumbles and unveils the enemy. Herself.

To each their own war."

Enjoy your journey!

In Christ,

C.S.

Last update on September 21, 7:13 am by Cristin Slobozeanu.
Be the first person to like this.
Cristin Slobozeanu

An excerpt from Chapter 3:

Late at night was the best part of the day for Novak. Those simple moments that came before unconsciousness, when he would let himself fall in his resting place. When he would separate himself from the filth and the pain and be a human being once again. Only then, he would come before her memory, cleansed, worthy.

Falling in love was Novak’s rebellion. He stopped there, always too busy to dare for more, too busy paying the price.

Cristin Slobozeanu

An excerpt from Chapter 19:

"A strong battle cry resounds into the world. The music subsides. Coming out of the blur, two feeble arms escape from under the lid of a cold blue sheet, reaching to share a first and last touch. Two bouquets of delicate fingers grasp once into thin air, aiming for the cries, and collapse for good as the veil settles over them.

A brief moment before she surrenders her hands, a Most Holy Mother and Child descend from above. The Empress inquires in firm, gentle voice if she would receive the one true Orthodox faith. Her face is covered, to the world she is dead, but underneath the sheet, she accepts with one last nod of the head. There is no need to uncover the veil of death for the eyes of the soul to witness their grace. The Baptism of desire opens the gates. The Child blesses, and all three ascend, leaving behind the blind and the dead. They carry on with their tasks. They have long sealed their paths.

A departing gurney hovers her body away on a bright corridor. The ceiling fixtures turn into suns. An immaterial light that has never graced the sewers overwhelms even its most darkest corners. The filth dissolves under its intense purity, and soon the tubes, the landfill and the world are redeemed from the immaculate canvas of life.

Fade to white. The beginning ends. White settles."

Cristin Slobozeanu

An excerpt from Chapter 14:

“See? You’re not the only one who knows big words. Let me tell you something. If you want to live in a moral world, you have to have the power to enforce your morals. That’s why you failed.”

“Enforced good is anything but good. I’d say it’s the opposite of morality. I don’t think anyone should get to decide what’s good or bad.”

“Ha-ha-ha. And why is that?”

“Because no one knows what good actually is.”

“And you do?”

“No...”

“So you don’t get to decide either. So why don’t you shut up?”

“I refuse to believe that there is no absolute truth!” revolted Case, short of slamming his fist on the table.

“Well, good luck finding it. And keep it down before you find something you won’t like.”

“I may not know what good is, but I know what it isn’t. And it’s not this. One thing I’m dead certain about: I did not come into this world to be anyone’s slave or to waste my potential. I don’t want to work the job they want me to work, I don’t want to learn what they teach me, I don’t want to eat what they feed me, I don’t want to take their drugs. I will not be what they want me to be.
“If someone’s morality is crushing another man, then it is not morality. Good is not something anyone can bend as they please. It’s pretty obvious where that leads to. Good must be something built into our nature that no one can change to suit their agenda. Something universal, a value system people would choose to live by freely because it leads to happiness. And if so happens that, some day, I might decide to abandon it, and suffer, then what will come my way, will, be, my, doing. But misery cannot be my only option. I am denied the right to happiness? I’ll make it my right. If I want to pursue morality, I will pursue it. And if I don’t, ultimately, unequivocally, the choice to be miserable should belong to me, me, and only me.” He drew a long breath and concluded with choked resentment. “It must be there, somewhere. So why are we blind?”

“What? What are you smoking, kid? I can’t even follow this nonsense anymore. People can’t choose. That’s why we have experts, to do the choosing for them. What people need is to enjoy life to the fullest, not worry about decisions. Who are you to say your morals are better than mine? Only force can decide that,” decided Tryo, raising a puffy fist to illustrate.”

Cristin Slobozeanu

A quote from Chapter 16:

“Globalitarism also took off on the wrong foot. Those cretins had a decent chance. The masses were ignorant enough, scared enough, decadent enough. All they had to do was play their cards right, but when things started to go wrong, they fell back on oppression. Old habits... Granted, they were sailing in uncharted waters, but with enough vigilance, they could have pulled it off. They got cocky, and they failed miserably. And now they are manure."

Cristin Slobozeanu

A quote from Chapter 6:

Case was nearing the border. He felt exhausted even if the object he carried was more bulky than heavy. The tunnel he walked led to no dead ends. Those were the scariest, the ones that didn’t have them stare into another wall. Case seemed to travel across a giant spyglass. In front of him, a round cutout of the sky was growing larger and larger as he went up the slope. The moonshine bled into its frame, radiating restless beams. Veils of clouds told a leaden story on the sewer stage. It was the eerie ballet of life that scared them. The tip of his shoe scraped the rim. Everybody stopped there. The end of the world. They dumped the trash over its edge and fell back. The boy knelt, contemplating the ground that stretched widely before him. The endless mass of minced garbage with its irregular landforms displayed an uncanny spectacle of tonalities in the moonlight.

Cristin Slobozeanu

A quote from Chapter 8:

Despair, the lost man’s trusted companion. Conscience, the primordial battleground, lacking exercise, atrophied by the same passiveness that had dominated her entire existence, remained an empty arena. Since the border between right and wrong was hazy, diluting their incessant clash into a stalemate, all that persisted within her conscience was a battle of fears.

The captivating terror of an imminent danger, paralyzing body and mind, leaving no time for reflection, reaction, awareness versus the perpetual helplessness lurking on the horizon. Its languid nature nourished agony and left the prey at the mercy of a barren future. Always intangible, subduing softly merely by taunting, a cunning tactic that sharpened reason beyond endurance. Fear of death versus fear of life.

Like (1)
Cristin Slobozeanu
The entire Chapter 1 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume I:

Everything looked perfect.

Shuttles were buzzing left and right on the invisible skyway, leaving the pedestrians to roam free on the ground and carelessly enjoy the warm sunny day.

Still, some citizens argued that this transport system blocked the sunlight and cast too many flickering shadows. Cases of vertigo had been reported. Scientists, however, were working hard to ensure that shuttles, skylanes and parking on building walls would become a thing of the past, and a revolution in transportation would soon follow. Until then, shuttles would rule the skies, whether people liked it or not.

To the untrained eye, this mottled flock of tin fowl provided a curious display of machinery and art. Designed in various styles and adorned with paint jobs ranging from complex ornate graphics to plain metal gray, they seemed to embody the aesthetic musings of an artistic society. But everything meant something, the manufacturer, the body style, the intricacy and palette of the markings, the counterintuitive manner in which they yielded right of way. Everything except the year.

Being a special day, the streets were more crowded than usual, people wandering around as they pleased rather than following a precise path.

The ceremony held by Scarlet Starling Flight Academy, one of the most popular events of this happyday, attracted a lot of citizens eager to witness the aerial show performed by top pilot graduates.

Resting in the middle of the amphitheater, the sleek red-striped interceptors awaited their spectators. They radiated valiantly toward the audience, arranged in a star-shaped formation.

Even if aircraft such as these were used for teaching purposes and were not military-grade, they commanded deference. With their arrogant, aggressive yet gracious curved lines, barely containing the fierceness within their small stature, they reigned tranquilly over the anxious crowd.

The image of composed authority and strength ready to be unleashed at any moment but casually restrained by a sort of proud benevolence mesmerized a lot of little boys who dreamed of riding through the stars. They yearned to tame and harness the might of these machines, to imbue their warrior souls with it and command the same reverence upon others.

This was not a challenge for everyone. This was not a challenge even for the ones who bore the virtues required to triumph.

And so, many boys who had seen their dreams crushed by the cold hull of their idols became fathers themselves. Mesmerized to this day, they brought their sons with them so they could have their dreams crushed as well.

The aerial show was not the only major event hosted by Scarlet Starling. This other occasion concerned a smaller group of citizens. On this day, the doors would briefly open for admissions, for future cadets, the lucky few who would ride the stars.

A man and his teenage son broke away from the heaping crowd gathering at the amphitheater entrance and followed the other young men heading for the admissions hall. They emanated a curious contrast through the solitary plainness of their appearance.

Like the shuttles in the sky, the citizens’ garments exhibited a variety of styles and colors. An outsider would have found it confusing in the same way the masses would have found the term tourist confusing. But this time, the discrepancy was too obvious to fool anyone.The closer they were to the doors, the more their attitude changed, setting them apart. They would probably drift away from each other if not for the invisible bond conveyed by their clothes.

As reluctant as Novak was when it came to the surface, he was all the more reluctant to be caught alone in this overwhelming crowd. He sensed the distance even if they moved around so close he could smell them. Not only that, but he was also unaccustomed to these situations, never having learned how to behave outside of his secluded life. A simple stroll under the sunlight, among people, was a difficult task for him to handle, but his son’s reckless decision forced him out of his shell, sending him to prevent their small world from crumbling.

His son was equally inexperienced in these matters, although his ambition crushed away any anxiety related to his absurd intentions. Case was too young to foresee how the consequences of his current actions would ripple into his future, a skill greatly required of people like him. Regardless of the risk, he was determined to sacrifice his destined future for the feeble chance of securing a new one.

Finally, they entered the hall despite all of Novak’s passive attempts at stalling. Instead of feeling more secure inside, Novak’s fear increased, and his first instinct was to scuttle out the door. Case, on the other hand, was marching forward, even though he had no idea where to go and how to proceed. He felt his father’s hand grabbing his arm and pulling him back to a discreet corner.

Case complied without questioning his ridiculous behavior.

He understood that his father had crossed the border into a world he was conditioned to perceive as far darker and hostile than the place in which they dwelled. And all the sunlight on the planet wouldn’t have been enough to make Novak feel otherwise. This custom fear had been seeded too early into his unconscious for wisdom to be able to defuse on ground zero. He knew it was absurd, but he couldn’t escape it. They advanced too fast and too deep inside this territory, and he needed to grab onto something and accommodate.

Case had no doubt he would have felt the same if he hadn’t been driven by the burning aspiration to fulfill his goals. So he allowed Novak his time to breathe. He had never seen him so vulnerable and weak.Fearing that seeing his father like this would affect his perception of him, Case turned his attention to the young people gathered in the hall. He concentrated on their behavior.

The admissions clerk sat in his chair, grave and stiff, burdened by the mediocrity of his situation. With glassy eyes, staring into nothingness, he greeted the applicants, blurting the same words over and over.

“Welcome to Scarlet Starling Flight Academy. Would you like to enroll in our flight program?”

“Yes, sir!” said a well-dressed young man, handing him a tablet with filled out admission forms.

The clerk took a glance at the forms, then measured the candidate from head to toe with a long examining squint.

“Everything is in order. An appointment will be made for your examination. Good luck.”

“Thank you!”

The young man left with a satisfied look on his face, content that half of the formalities had been completed. A young woman next in line stepped forward, and the scene repeated itself.

“Welcome to Scarlet Starling Flight Academy. Would you like to enroll in our flight program?”

“Yes, I do, sir!”

Novak and Case stood isolated in their corner, following the dull, repetitive admission procedure, the father blending more and more into the wall and the son growing more and more impatient.

“I’m going, Dad!”

“No, no. We have to wait and see how things are done before—”“You just stand in line and hand over the forms. I’ll go get a tablet.”

Novak’s eyes enlarged while he threw his arm out, trying to grab his son and pull him back to the safety of their corner. But the boy was already on his way to the large table where the tablets were stacked. His father directed his attention to the rest of the citizens present in the hall as if he expected some sort of retaliation. Indeed, Case’s gesture stirred the curiosity of a few people but no more than a minor distraction. They must have confused the garbagemen with their much luckier cousins, the janitors.

Case took a tablet from the stack and came back. Novak seemed to calm down watching Case examine the forms. The boy, however, became increasingly irritated as he went over the fields. He scrolled all the way down, seeing that his rights package was not fancy enough to unlock most of them.

Without another word to his father, he crossed to the admissions clerk. Novak rushed to take the lead, trying to address the clerk before Case did. He would have stayed in that corner all day long if it were up to him, but his compulsion to protect his boy was stronger than the sum of his fears.

The queue being cleared by now, the clerk witnessed the uncommon sight of two different tempered individuals racing toward his desk. But that was not everything he noticed. For a moment, he pondered whether he should call the guard. He might be in danger after all.

Still, distractions of this kind were rare gems. Connoisseurs treasured these minuscule fractures of life and collected them like other folks collected stamps. This clerk, himself obligated to be a connoisseur by the dullness of his existence, spotted the gem instantly.

Convinced that any self-respecting collector would bravely put his neck on the line for a prized specimen, he decided to face the danger. Also, not every day comes with the opportunity to inflict your condescension upon someone less fortunate.

All of this went on through the clerk’s head as Novak and Case approached his desk, making his eyes even glassier. A sort of imperceptible snarl appeared on his otherwise paralyzed face when Novak stopped abruptly, causing Case to bump into him.Instead of his usual worn-out institutional greet, he settled for raising his left eyebrow and slightly tilting his head back. Case pushed the tablet in his face, but Novak moved it away and tried to put a few words together.

“My boy… He’s very smart. A genius! He built—” Novak stopped short, realizing he was heading into dangerous territory. “He could build a whole shuttle out of scraps.

”The clerk was too distracted by the audacity to notice the slip. His face was stone cold, though.

“I would like to enroll in your flight program, sir!” said Case, eloquent and determined, putting hard emphasis on sir.

The clerk could not maintain his composure anymore and twitched so hard he almost broke his neck. His tiny eyes doubled in size, now staring at Case.

“But… sewage workers cannot become pilots… It’s. The. Law!” he said, suffocating.

“You see, he is very talented, great at engineering. You would be lucky to have him,” continued Novak, hoping to divert the man’s attention from Case.The clerk’s collar was about to burst, and his voice grew higher in pitch with every word he blurted.

“We have enough engineers, and geniuses, and pilots! We don’t need any coming from the sewers!” he declared victoriously with the self-satisfaction of the mediocre man pleased with the monotonous safety of his station.

The guard came a few steps closer to witness the show. He was covered. There was no need to intervene. No immediate danger, no disturbance he could be held accountable for. Even if it was impossible to climb the social ladder, demotion could be easily achieved. And his status was not high enough to afford it. There wasn’t much he could do except keep his head above the water.Although his face expressed otherwise, deep down, he rooted for Novak and Case. This simple man found himself surprisingly caring more about these strangers than he cared for the institution he had to uphold. The unscripted scene unraveling in front of him went against everything he was taught, yet it felt... right. A spark of revelation is all it takes to crack a lifetime of indoctrination. A struggle was flaring up inside him as he tried to defend these two sanitation technicians against his own sense of duty, his feelings advocating against the rules.

Novak shot a glance at the guard but didn’t see any of that. He caught the slight frown, the piercing glare and the nervous hand resting on the baton. Whispering something inarticulate, he tried to discourage Case but only managed to make him more angry.

“Now, if you would like to attend the festivities, the ticket booths are outside,” concluded the clerk, pointing at the door, then looking away.

The boy drew air to shout something, but his father gagged him before the next syllable and took another glance at the guard, terrified. The man fixated on Novak before taking the first step, his gaze begging him to leave immediately. One second. A meager head start. All he could do for them. Novak got the message instinctively and pushed Case away from the desk toward the exit. Case still protested but did not try to resist his father. The battle was lost.The threatening guard escorted them two steps behind with his right hand clenched on the baton. Later, he would remember the day he let those strangers escape and smile. That one-second head start was his rebellion.

“You knew this would happen,” yelled Case when the doors slid shut behind them.

“You knew it too,” answered Novak, calm, relieved that everything ended without incident. “You just didn’t want to believe it.”

“Why did you come then?”

“I had to make sure you wouldn’t get arrested. And, boy, after seeing what happened, I’m glad I came.” He hoped that Case’s inner turmoil and rebellion would now begin to wane, that he would learn to accept reality for what it was after standing against it and failing. He figured his son needed to try and needed to fail in order to fully accept his fate and be spared of regrets. Novak had his moment of rebellion too back in his youth and surprisingly gained his victory, so he was able to understand what his son was going through, at least up to a point.

His victory meant the world to him. To the world, it meant nothing. Furthermore, it was short-lived, and the consequences degraded his existence even more, pursuing him to this day. With half of his heart immersed in the past, Novak was content that his son failed and his life wouldn’t become any more miserable than it already was.

He was now relieved of the agoraphobic anxiety that possessed him earlier, although he was still uncomfortable rejoining the crowd. Stopping Case’s reckless behavior put his mind at ease and gave him enough confidence to walk among this muster of peacocks without looking like a hunted dog.

Novak put his arm around his son’s shoulders, steering him toward the ticket booths and hoping that watching the aerial show would lift the boy’s mood.

Ticket booth was an archaic term, preserved in the interest of a convenient tradition. Not even the eldest citizens could remember what tickets and money did. Or what they meant. Or that they once existed. And neither did history. There was no need for currency since everyone was simply given everything they needed. Everything that was decided they needed.

Novak and Case stood in front of the booth. Novak frowning at the screen, contemplating their poor seating options, Case staring down, lost. The few seats available to them were somewhere at the outer rim of the amphitheater, near the restrooms. Novak, disappointed, chose two and led his resigned son inside.

As they climbed the stairs, advancing upward through the rows, Novak noticed how the citizens’ clothes became plainer and plainer. A curious sight and feeling for him, being closer to the sky and to lesser people at the same time.No one else was seated in their sector. Novak was not surprised. He wouldn’t be here either if it weren’t for his son. Still, someone decided that everyone needed entertainment and could attend the festivities if they wanted to.

He wondered if there was anything else he would be allowed to do or have, so he got up and left to try his chances at the refreshments booth, leaving Case to deal with his grief. Novak was presented with some roasted corn kernels according to his calorie quota and tap water. He returned to his seat just in time for the opening parade and fanfare.

Novak turned to Case, smiling, encouraging him with his eyes. But the grand opening of the festivities didn’t do anything for the boy. He continued to stare into the emptiness of the ground. Novak saddened, hoping Case would feel better by the end of the show.

The parade dragged on forever. The speeches, even harder to endure. Novak was bored. He wanted to see the interceptors prowl the skies. Unfortunately for him, the amphitheater was for people who wished to enjoy the whole show. Granted, anyone above the surface could have watched the aerials, but the Academy wanted to provide something extra for the attending spectators.

The Academy choir was singing its fourth battle hymn. Having finished his kernels, Novak was about to dose off despite the amphitheater’s renowned acoustics. He awakened abruptly, startled by the silence. The choir was gone. He looked around, worried, afraid something wrong might have happened.

Some children forgot to chew their hot dogs. They sat in their chairs, stunned, with their mouths wide open.

The pilots were making an entrance. Joyful, waving casually at the cheering crowd, they appeared to advance in slow motion, determined, firm, resolute. The scarlet stripes on their suits matched the ones on the interceptors, wrapping around the chiseled bodies, complementing their agile features.

For the first time since his defeat, Case seems to be aware of what is happening around him. He lifts his head slowly and finally notices the aircraft, one of the beasts staring him in the face, defiant. Case smiles sarcastically, his pupils enlarging and his body straightening up in his chair. She is daring him, challenging him, patronizing him.

The anger and the grief, suddenly overwhelmed by the hunter’s confidence, vanish from his mind, and his eyes project a glimpse of another future, the one he has the strength to forge.

The interceptors are the striking embodiment of the holographic models from the contraband manuals Case acquired with so much difficulty. He knows them inside out, even if they have been worlds apart. But these are not rigid technical representations, these are untamed, luring beasts that would tear up anyone oblivious of their secrets.

Can you tame me?

Case unknowingly takes an assault stance in his chair, all tensed up, captivated by the machine in front of him. Not overwhelmed and stunned, not hypnotized and reverent like the children with their dropped jaws, but enraged by the insolent taunting of this bird of prey, his blood boiling with anticipation. A bullfighter at his first trial.

No one in the audience, not even Novak, suspects the ruthless clash that is taking place inside the heart and mind of this fragile boy, between the reality of the present and the dreams of a daring future.

The sun is ascending above the amphitheater. The obsidian canopy of the interceptor catches the rays and reflects them, spearing Case’s eyes. As the blinding light grows in intensity, scorching the boy’s sight, he feels the beast crushing him. Soon, he won’t be able to face it anymore.

But Case is not fighting with the burning sunlight or a parade aircraft, he is standing against his deepest fears. The chains binding him to the filthy sewers, the lost self-confidence, the rigidity of his society, the repression.

He thrusts up from his seat, ready to accept the challenge, and sprints down the stairs like a hungry feline in the savanna. Another fate is crying out to him louder than his father’s call.
Last update on March 19, 5:04 am by Cristin Slobozeanu.
Cristin Slobozeanu

The entire Chapter 2 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume I:

Far from the crowded cities lies the true happiness of man. It was the firm opinion of Sayanne, orphan and farmer.

Her domain spanned as much as the eye can see, encompassing fertile land, forests, pastures crossed by shallow rivers and daring hills. She thought of it as heaven, her personal slice of paradise. But can heaven be heaven without anyone to share it with?

Sayanne had to reject such thoughts. She was recovering from her parents’ death.

The splendid surroundings helped tremendously, compelling her to contemplate beauty instead of death. Yet she could not spend every second picking flowers. She needed something to aspire to, she needed to work, to feel that life was moving forward.

It was difficult to distance herself from pain when time was standing still. There was no work to be done.

Huge machines the size of her house roamed the land with mathematical precision, going back and forth, sowing, sprinkling, reaping, threshing, grinding. Since the weather stood still, just like time, they continued to do their job over and over again with no break.

Sometimes, maintenance people would arrive and run their tests, but even if parts needed to be replaced, the mammoths stubbornly refused to stop. Farmers had their superstitions and did not allow anyone to power down their two-hundred-ton oxen, making the mechanics look like surgeons trying to operate on someone strolling in the park.

Sayanne had never seen one stop or even slow down. As a child, she used to wonder how they were able to shrink as they distanced themselves from the house, becoming toy-sized somewhere at the borders of her land.

They demanded little in return. All she had to do was read some notifications from a display in the kitchen. The machines constantly ran self-diagnostic tests to monitor their condition and communicated the results. If something went wrong, Sayanne just called the right people.

The same went for raising the few animals around the farm and pretty much for everything that needed care. Every work-related activity had a suitable machine assigned to it.

Sayanne turned to music and painting to fill the void. It came naturally, as the marvelous ambiance was more than enough to inspire a sensitive soul. The diverse scenery provided her with endless opportunities for pictorial composition.

The house set the boundary between plain and forest, but the rivers crossed both. There was a place here suited for every feeling of the soul. When she wandered out the door, she witnessed the endless stretch of the plain ever-changing in color. Transfigured from the rich black of the freshly plowed earth into the green of the sprouts and finally the ripened yellow, these fields were the sole indication of life’s cyclicity.

Only there, time seemed to be moving forward, although, for Sayanne, it was running in circles. She was barely seventeen, too young to perceive its erosion.

The forest had been the same for as long as she could remember. She felt safe inside, ageless like the woods. She knew where every tree was, and the trees knew her. They gave her stability. Sayanne knew that no matter how many times she came back, she would find everything unchanged. It was a sanctuary shared only with her departed parents. Her father would take her tiny hand in his own and lead her through this mysterious green world sustained by imposing pillars, troubled by nothing but the winds.

As years went by, he took her farther and farther, breaking border after border. It was a time when nature was falling out of trend, and rootless people flocked toward a carefully managed urban existence, which promised them happiness.

Nature became useless in the face of bold scientific advancements. Land had no value anymore, and that suited the few people who did not give in to the lure of a deceiving happiness.

Being easy to acquire, farmers expanded their territories freely, according to their needs or their greed. Sayanne could drift all day long and still not exit her domain. Thinking about it, she could not remember if she had really ever stepped out into the world.

Her father was an ambitious man, and even if there weren’t any profits to be made, he constantly challenged himself to sow and reap more and more. Whenever he reached his goal, he set the bar higher and acquired more land to plow.

He never did any of the hard work himself since the machines would take care of everything for him. The challenge consisted in cleverly managing the mammoths’ capabilities, stretching their technical limitations beyond specifications without causing them to collapse while simultaneously increasing the yield.

And he was quite good at it, judging by the vastness of his plains. However, every time he stretched his fields, the woodland behind the house would expand as well. The woodland never yielded anything.

Sayanne opened her big green eyes.

The bright sunlight subtly creeping into the bedroom was veiling her innocent face. Feeling the gentle warmth, a smile flourished on her lips. Without a care in the world, Sayanne lingered under the sheets, trapped between the enthusiasm of a bright new day and melancholy.

The longer she lay there, the faster her reverie would be poisoned by apathy, the milky sheets tightening softly around her body, morphing into dark, branched vines anchoring her to the past. Those were the memories that surfaced and lured her away from reality, hoping to gently sink her soul within the abyss of the mind.

Sayanne pulled the sheets away with a swift motion and jumped out of bed just as fast. She stood on her feet next to it, ready to escape, but she knew she had nowhere to run. Today, she was not fast enough.

Today, time would flow backward but only within her heart and mind. The ears of wheat would continue to rise in the fields and not shrink back into seeds. While she hovered there, absent, the window flowers bloomed before her eyes. Their confession failed to impress. Sayanne’s gaze pondered inside of her, a world where the clocks were spinning according to her moods.

The moment had come to visit the forest again.

Although she had plenty of rest, she could not find the strength to escape into reality, as if that brief effort to shed her cerement had drained her of vitality. Sayanne executed the morning routine mechanically and, at some point, found herself sitting motionless at the kitchen table, staring into thin air until existence gradually came into focus.

She realized she was waiting for her mother’s caress and for the plate of scrambled eggs that would have followed. The harsh sunlight blinded her, chasing away the memories. Sayanne adjusted the windows’ neutral density filters, allowing no more than a tiny fraction of light to pass through, just enough to find her way back.

She scrutinized the pale-orange disc contoured on the window glass. It was harmless. Sluggishly, the young woman retraced her mother’s steps from memory and set the table. She tried to eat, but it was not the same, so she left the plate half full.

Sayanne returned the ND filters to their previous setting as she walked out of the kitchen. The light flooded everything behind her.

She picked up the pan flute from her room and left the house through the back door. Judging by the roar of the engines, the mammoths were laboring close by.

Sayanne stepped into the shade of the elderly trees, extending her arm and brushing their trunks with her fingers as she passed by, greeting them. She looked up at their crowns. The foliage was keeping the light away, much like the windows’ filters. A sunray slipping between the leaves speared her eyes, causing her to twitch nervously and look away, breaking the spell again.

She leaped away childishly, trying to elude the sunrays that impaled the forest, playing on the foliage’s negligence. Fragmentary pools of light drawn on the ground revealed fleeing insects, rotten leaves, moist dirt and other secrets for brief moments before being trapped and veiled. Regardless, they prevailed shyly.

Distracted by her elusive game, Sayanne was leaping further and deeper into the woods, into places few people had seen or treasured. She imagined the trees dancing around her, passing her by while she stood still, admiring their choreography.

The young woman continued to romp around like a child, exchanging countless dance partners until she found herself twirling at the edge of a golden clearing. The tall blades of yellow grass, enlivened by the sunlight, swayed together with her. She stopped for a moment to admire them from the comfortable vantage point provided by a mossy old rock.

The light could only reach as far as the edge of the rock, unable to envelop her. She delighted herself in the spectacle of reflections, teasing the veil of light that reached out to her.

The rhythm of the golden blades enticed her to bring the pan flute to life. Closing her eyes after capturing the essence of the glade, she opened the barriers of her soul and cleansed the shady forest with the poetry of her heart.

Large tear drops escaped her gentle eyelids, rolled down in slow motion and softly caressed the sculptural contours of the cheeks. Sayanne sang her pain away. She never screamed, never begged, never crumbled. She just sang, lighting the path to the ephemeral past, cheating herself with the surrogate of faded happiness.

The pain would return. It always crept back subtly after the last echo of the pan flute died. And when the trees felt distant, it had no more places to hide. Sorrow’s notes resonated in the far corners of the forest, flowing with her tears. She struggled to keep them both fluent.

In the clearing, blades of grass were bowing down like being enchanted.

Her eyes were running out of tears. It was time to come back. The pan flute froze, inarticulate, receiving the last kiss. She gently wiped away the tears, and with a first glance, she noticed the reverence of the golden grass. Impressed, she blushed and let a large smile brighten her face.

Yet the blades were not bowing down to her. They were being overwhelmed by a five-hundred-kilogram savage predator rising from the ground. Sayanne saw a black ball of shiny fur blooming in the sunlight, suppressing the tall grass as it emerged from its hideout and unraveled into a massive beast.

The feline’s dark green eyes blended in with its black short-haired coat, allowing the two serrated fangs hanging from its upper jaw to be the first and probably the last feature its prey would catch a glimpse of.

Sayanne should have been terrified, but the dominating feeling was surprise. She recognized the predator from holograms and documentaries. Although she had never seen a live one before, she had enough knowledge about them to know that it did not belong there.

Sayanne was staring death in the face, but all she could do was wonder about the sudden presence of a ferocious feline hundreds of kilometers away from its natural habitat.

Cristin Slobozeanu

The entire Chapter 3 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume I:

The sewer was a dark place, even if sunlight invaded its depths through the transparent slits in the manhole covers, between people’s feet. The darkness came from someplace else. It took a toll on your youth and health, leaving you a helpless burden at the mercy of others. It was a prison like any other. The same but different.

It was an endless maze of tubes you could always escape from. You never did since your existence depended on it. The dangers were many, and living was limited to survival. As such, producing somewhat healthy offspring capable of outliving their parents proved to be a major concern for those tasked with such menial jobs.

Novak did not concern himself with such unwritten rules. Serene was beautiful, a rare flower among thistles but frail and delicate like the dandelion in the wind. She loved him for accepting her the way she was, for loving a burden. He loved her for not willing to accept the way she was, for having the power to shine instead of walk. She loved him... He nurtured her with all his selflessness, but she faded anyway, gifting her life to this daring little boy.

Serene was the daughter of a waterworks laborer, being one step above the sewer people, who were seen as all-purpose waste collectors. The Water Supply provided a cleaner working environment, free of infection and various other hazards that plagued the sanitation laborers. But most importantly, it provided the privilege of affording to look down upon other people, being one notch above the bottom of the food chain.

The sewer people, naturally, had no one to look down on, and for them, looking down only meant catching a glimpse of their future. They didn’t like looking up either. Nobody wanted to stare the bigger fish in the eye and be reminded of the deprivations they were facing. Most of them preferred to move on with their barren lives, secluded, turning away from everyone and everything and slowly scattering into oblivion. Still, one of them ventured to gaze so far into the sky that nothing but the stars could temper his boldness, his thoughts flying above the obstacles of life as if they never existed.

His mother was a pearl, lost in a world where no one could afford the luxury of beauty and where beauty could not secure survival. With her strong heart trapped in a fragile body, she witnessed countless admirers in awe of her beauty, quickly driven away by her frailty. So she grew to despise being treated like livestock at an auction by the pitiful bunch of males she was allowed to choose from.

Survival not being an option for her, she never understood this obsessive concern the rest of the people had with finding sturdy labor-capable partners or robust women always ready to produce new offspring if the previous ones didn’t make it. She did not care for partnerships. She did not care about dying alone, too consumed by labor to be of any use anymore, feeble and famished, with nobody to take care of her. She detested these people and the way they leered at her. All she longed for was to love, to overwhelm the brave man who would forsake his future for a glimpse of happiness with the sweet nectar overflowing from her heart, wasted.

However, love could not pierce through the darkness of these lower layers of society where higher aspirations were dangerous goals, and pragmatism reigned supreme. Therefore, Serene pulled the curtain between her and the rest of the world, resigned, awaiting the conclusion of her fate. There was no reason to spend her short time constantly having to repulse the pity and the lust of her false suitors, who were merely passing by to steal away some nice memories for when their dull wives would become unbearable. Also, she did not need to be reminded of the scarcity of her choices and unworthiness of these hollow men.

Serene did not have much of an education, but she was intelligent as she was beautiful, and her suffering taught her about the things that mattered most in life. It taught her to feel. But there was no one who could treasure her gifts.

Until young Novak appeared one day with a treasure of his own.

Not a lot of people were willing to admit that the sewer was a cesspool of decay, which ate into your soul and mind a lot faster than it devoured your skinny sack of bones. They all knew it, though, more or less consciously. The hardest thing for a sanitation worker to hold on to was his dignity, his humanity. Most of them let go and preferred to die years before their hearts stopped beating.

Yet there were eyes that could see beyond darkness and souls who would remain clean despite being surrounded by filth. Those were the few who continuously sought to improve their condition. Given the circumstances, the others saw them as hopeless mavericks caught in a futile struggle, although it was this struggle that kept them alive.

Lacking the means of escape, they fought to make their lives a bit better with the resources at hand. Whatever was deemed worthy of being called a resource depended on every individual’s capacity to discover utility, to find a better name for something other than trash.

Novak thought of it as exploring. Sometimes, very rarely, if people searched hard enough, they would discover treasure. And so, embarked on his daily expeditions, Novak stumbled upon one of the greatest treasures, the treasure of knowledge, rotting away as a deplorable heap of paper books. Not long after paper became obsolete, libraries turned into deserted museums. But every now and then, private collectors perished as well, and the grieving families were more than happy to let their collections die with them.

Young Novak gathered the books meticulously and provided a new home for them in his humble room. And then, he escaped. He ventured to live, to fight, to suffer, to love together with the characters in his novels. He started to perceive the numerous aspects of life that were beyond his reach and gained an understanding of how the world worked and how other people lived. His eyes learned to see deeper and slowly cleared away the darkness.

Anything that was salvaged from the trash and could be of use to someone else was given the pompous name of contraband. This trading activity was, of course, illegal and also impossible to stop or control since people’s desire to have things they were not allowed to have would often overcome their fear of the law. But most of the time, their survival depended on it.

The government considered it inefficient to waste resources on surveilling the sewers and the landfill. It was more cost-effective to make its presence felt only when things went wrong. Therefore, it was somewhat easier to deal in contraband underground, enabling Novak to set up a small network of regulars to do business with. Having a keen eye for practicality, he spotted items that others overlooked. He thus managed to add a bit of comfort to his life. Considering his living standards, this goal was not difficult to achieve.

During a trade, Novak caught a rumor that intrigued him. Someone needed books. Novak had never heard of anyone needing books. Even he thought he didn’t need books until he discovered them. It was strange for someone of the lower classes to demand something that was not strictly related to survival purposes. So, young Novak put together a diverse selection of titles, unaware of his client’s literary tastes, and, led by curiosity, rushed to deliver them.

Serene’s father greeted him with a glacial expression and refused to take the package from his hands. On the one hand, he didn’t want to touch the books or Novak, knowing where they came from, and on the other, he disliked touching his daughter. Although he did his duty as a parent, he resented her for being a burden to her family instead of letting the family be a burden to her.

So he settled for silently pointing toward a sort of larger closet. Novak pulled the curtain and found himself impaled by the biggest, bluest and most innocent eyes he had ever seen. She felt offended by this intrusion and, startled, sought words to reprove his indiscretion. But the way he looked at her stopped her.

Novak stood there like a fool with the books in one hand and the other extended, clenched on the curtain. He just stared at her, stunned, unable to put words together. For a sensitive soul dwelling in the dark, so much as a dim ray of light can be blinding. In that moment, beauty was blooming into reality after being stored in Novak’s mind as an abstract concept, a definition learned from one of his books.

No one this deprived of the elementary pleasures of life could stare beauty in the face and be left untouched. For Novak, this moment came with a revelation that plunged him into the thickest darkness, so far away that literature could no longer guide him back.

For understanding beauty meant understanding ugliness, filth, deprivation, helplessness, decay, death. Novak became fully conscious of his condition and felt ashamed probably for the first time in his life. He realized he did not belong there, having done nothing wrong to deserve it.

Ignorance was not bliss for Novak, but it was good enough. He could not return to his routine now, as he began to be repulsed by it, and he could not forsake it since he was bound to it. So, he returned to Serene.

She had never seen a man looking at her like that, and she was uncertain about the meaning of his gaze, but she allowed it to sink inside her heart, enfolding it, warming it. So she smiled, and her eyes finally smiled with her.

Young Novak couldn’t stay away anymore. He could not continue to bear his condition and sought an escape in her heart. He kept coming back for the most ridiculous of reasons and always ended up reading to her from some cheesy romance novel. She listened to him quietly, sometimes immersed in the story, sometimes immersed in the present, contemplating Novak until she fell asleep, protected by the sound of his caring voice.

Her father saw right through his silly excuses, and although he despised him, he was willing to pass down the burden to someone else and even accept the blow to his reputation. He and his wife felt cheated by fate, condemned to a horrible ending. They grew tired of taking care of their daughter, a task that weakened and impoverished them. A lot of their supplies were traded for contraband, whether to ease her pain or provide her with distractions so they could buy themselves some respite.

They did not understand love, but they understood the sacrifice Novak was making, and in a way, they respected him for it. So Novak, tolerated, continued to come over and spend as much time as he could with Serene. One day, he felt confident enough that he could take care of her by himself. He took her in his arms and left without looking back, leaving her resigned parents to crumble in their misery. For the moment, they were somewhat relieved and swallowed their tiny pride, influenced by their survival instinct. They muffled the guilt by forcing themselves to accept that this was the only option. But their blindness prevented them from understanding that love and happiness kept their daughter alive more than a fistful of pills or being one step above other people. They had no idea what her name meant. It was just a word with a nice ring to it, which caught their eye when they walked past a billboard.

Novak and Serene did not have a wedding ceremony. They went to an office to register their marriage and stood in front of a computer terminal that gave them a prerecorded speech, then popped an error warning and a disclaimer. Serene declared she was really sure she wanted to marry a citizen of a lower condition. The machine, defeated, registered their union in the qubase and issued their marriage certificate. No one invited them to kiss, but they did it anyway.

From that moment on, Novak struggled with inhuman zeal to give her as many healthy and happy days as possible. He knew all too well the sewers would drain her life faster than her parents’ birdcage. And suddenly, he found himself torn apart by fate’s irony. He could either spend his spare time in her arms, watching her fade, or devote every waking moment to searching for some useful garbage to trade, buying her more days she would spend alone, waiting for him.

Having his existence reduced to choosing between two losing options, Novak lived tormented, caught between guilt and longing. His heart rebelled incessantly against his mind, unable to find balance or acknowledge a lesser evil. So, sometimes he let himself be led by feelings and sometimes by reason.

At first, he was reluctant to leave her side, both of them unwilling to deprive each other of the happiness they shared. But her every faint cough or sigh impaled his heart, and he began to feel selfish for pursuing his happiness at the expense of her health. He would then tear himself away from her arms and rush to the chutes, raking through the garbage until his fingers stiffened.

And when he finally fell down on his knees, exhausted, his chest burning with longing, he felt eternities had passed since he left her. At the end of the day, he would begin to question whether the items he gathered bought her more hours than he spent digging them up. He always came to the conclusion that the water purifiers, the air filters, the extra pills or some better food could never make up for the lost time. He would run back to her, asking forgiveness, and again rest in her arms until guilt overcame him.

Once a new life burgeoned inside Serene, struggling for a place in their unwelcoming world, his choice became clear. Novak redoubled his efforts, and his contraband activity increased dangerously. Being obligated to make this choice spared him from his old torment. Soon enough, however, he would be facing a new one. Too much trading could have exposed him, and his imprisonment meant losing them both. Less trading meant the same. Novak worked as hard as he could, reckless at times, but he kept digging and evading the law until the day came and she went into labor.

Novak rushed her to the maternity hospital, relieved that his efforts had been successful and that she managed to carry the pregnancy to term. They put her on the gurney and hovered her to the delivery room. Serene lifted her head, seeking the protective figure of her husband, and extended a trembling hand toward him. But this time, she was on her own. He gazed into her azure eyes and caught his last glimpse of heaven. The door slide severed their farewell brutally, kicking him back to reality. Two hours later, Novak was presented with his newborn, a healthy, lively baby boy and condolences.

He never saw her again. He had no chance to say goodbye. He was not ready to say goodbye, and he refused to do so.

Novak did not have a picture of Serene. He had been so busy keeping her alive he never realized he would need something to remember her by. Every day, he compelled himself to paint her image in his mind, carefully adding every tiny detail until he found himself, once more, standing like a fool with a pack of books in his hand, staring at her.

Late at night was the best part of the day for Novak. Those simple moments that came before unconsciousness, when he would let himself fall in his resting place. When he would separate himself from the filth and the pain and be a human being once again. Only then, he would come before her memory, cleansed, worthy.

Falling in love was Novak’s rebellion. He stopped there, always too busy to dare for more, too busy paying the price.

For a while, Novak had been fiercely envied, ironically, by the same men who paraded by her bedside but lacked the selflessness to claim her heart. Until Serene passed. Then, every hurt ego was put at ease. Justice had been served. The rebel had paid for his insolence.

Novak would have surely fallen prey to decay had it not been for his son. His source of happiness, severed so abruptly, brought him to his knees. But Case was his new anchor. Case kept his mind clear and prevented him from crumbling into depression and death. Forced to recover quickly, Novak tried to fulfill his duty as a father and as a mother to the best of his abilities. Although he lacked the experience needed for taking care of an infant, he surprisingly found it less exhausting than caring for Serene. Case was healthy, so there was no need for special medication to be dangerously acquired or out-of-the-ordinary contraband to be traded. His necessities were few, and most of them were covered by the government.

Knowing that his son was safe and well, with no threats lurking about, brought Novak some well-deserved peace of mind. He finally allowed himself to claim a victory against the restless waves of remorse, which tore him apart for failing her. The guilt-ridden husband gave in to the responsible father. All of a sudden, there was nothing above his mortal strength to fight against. He just had a son to raise, like a lot of single fathers out there.

His life became simple, his longing did not. He thought it was simple because he had struggled harder than most people, a struggle he would have gone through all over again if it had brought her back. With Case in the nursery, Novak went back to his older passion and escaped into the world of books. He continued to live inside love stories, stepping in the characters’ shoes together with Serene, time after time, endlessly falling in love with her. This was a torment he could live with.

Growing up, Case found his father’s novels silly and failed to understand the characters, their motives and their behavior. Those stories happened in other places, which resembled nothing like his small world. It was easy for him to accept the filthy sewers for what they were. They encompassed his whole existence. This was his normality and would continue to be until he rose to acknowledge the darkness. Therefore, he preferred to read books that were easier for him to grasp. At his young age, mathematics, physics, engineering, electronics, computer science proved to be much more logically attractive than the chaos and unpredictability of life and feelings.

His mother had gifted him with intelligence, and Case, ever since he learned how to read, had taken advantage of it as much as possible. Novak, seeing how interested he was in the exact sciences, got him up-to-date digital books with animated holographic 3D models to replace the obsolete paper books and two-dimensional technical drawings.

There were some things in his father’s novels that stuck with him despite their silliness. One of them was the intriguing moral conduct of certain characters. Another, the existence of a mysterious tubeless realm. It seemed to have no ceiling. The increasing passion for exploration pushed Case to delve into astronautics. The boy started to dream about flying. He wasn’t exactly sure where this flying should take place, but he wanted to do it. His world was becoming too cramped, and his dreams were expanding beyond it.

Novak admired his son’s bold dreams and determination, although he did not believe in them. But it was enough to see Case’s face light up every time he would make some tiny progress or speak about his future endeavors. Novak had a way of reliving his wasted life through his son’s courage. He enjoyed riding on his wings.

Novak had no idea what kind of books he was feeding his son. All science and technology fell into one singular subject as far as he was concerned. He was unknowingly setting and encouraging Case on a perilous path. With all the maturity earned through his suffering, Novak’s eyes could not pierce into such future. He could not see that giving him too much to dream for was just as dangerous as not giving him enough.

Cristin Slobozeanu

The entire Chapter 5 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume I:

Sayanne should have been dead. It should still be a matter of seconds. Yet the cat, contrary to its habit of devouring anything that ran slower than fifty kilometers per hour, continued to display its terrifying fangs and utter an intimidating shrieking sound.

The young woman’s mind was filling with questions. Her surprise and curiosity had overwhelmed her will to survive. She instinctively knew her chances of escape were long gone.

The animal kept rising, threatening and graceful. Sayanne felt that the moment was prolonging indefinitely and that she had been staring death in the face more than enough. A familiar feeling.

Instead, she was staring at a master of camouflage lying in the middle of a clearing, in broad daylight, hundreds of kilometers away from its home.

As the feline rose, a few blades of grass, which had been trapped underneath its body, escaped and sprung up into the light, crooked. Their swift motion grabbed Sayanne’s attention, resuming the natural flow of time. They looked filthy, smudged and dripping, contrasting with the vivid yellow hue of their neighbors.

The beast faltered.

Blood.

Spread all over the blades. Thick, dark, crimson blood.

In a heartbeat, Sayanne leaped down from the mossy rock and ran away as fast as she could. The distance between her and the peril increased rapidly. She left the feline behind, but her thoughts still lingered in the clearing. Too many questions.

There were no obstacles for her in this forest. She knew its paths too well to let herself stumble. This confidence allowed her mind to wander off while her agile body dashed through the trees.

She failed to understand how she could accept her fate so easily and just sit there mesmerized, admiring the merciless beast that was about to devour her. Maybe death wasn’t so frightening anymore, or maybe she naively thought her singing had tamed the beast.

No matter the reason, Sayanne blamed herself for falling into hopelessness without the slightest attempt to fight for her life. Hopelessness she couldn’t even sense once she became hypnotized by the mystery.

She let herself be led by appearances, trusting some deceiving intangible perceptions without questioning them once, solely concentrating on the disproportion of forces. Sayanne defeated herself before the beast even snarled.

Sayanne kept accusing that young woman sitting on the rock like it was someone else. In a way, she could not recognize herself and refused to forgive her moment of weakness. She knew she had to have more hope, she just didn’t know how to make it grow.

Her thoughts were unexpectedly disturbed by silence. It crept up on her and, subtly easing its way into her reflections, made her realize where she was. Sayanne was out of the forest, back at the farm. Usually, it was the scorching sunlight that brought her back to the present, forcing her eyes to adjust to reality.

Silence was unusual out there in the open fields. It was irritating and unsettling, it didn’t belong there, just like that cat didn’t belong in her forest. More uncertainty.

Sayanne remembered that, when she left in the morning, the machines were threshing wheat less than a hundred meters away. She could tell where they were and what they were doing simply by listening to them.

Obscured by the house, the machines remained hidden, unnerving Sayanne with their stillness. She rushed in anxiously through the back door to the living room windows only to witness a disconcerting sight.

The only things in this life Sayanne believed to be immortal had abandoned her.

The mammoths were dead.

Cristin Slobozeanu

The entire Chapter 8 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume I:

Leaning on the window sill, Sayanne felt her knees weakening. There was nothing enticing about this mystery, nothing immediately dangerous or life-threatening to get adrenaline running. On the contrary, such a desolate sight, threatening by its timeless presence, invited the viewer to step into a disconcerting mood.

How exactly could a still landscape evoke more anguish than a ferocious beast was a notion that momentarily escaped Sayanne. She was more concerned about maintaining her balance and keeping herself from fainting.

Abandonment, futility, incertitude rushed inside her heart. Their swift, unexpected impact instantly squandered her shallow façade of hindsight bravery, avidly preying upon a few crumbs of confidence. Drained of hope and burdened by sorrow, the soul finally collapsed together with Sayanne, leaving the young woman lying on the floor with her eyes wide open, staring into herself.

Everyone left. At least the beast wanted her. Tormented, her unconscious gave way to an absurd thought.

Despair, the lost man’s trusted companion. Conscience, the primordial battleground, lacking exercise, atrophied by the same passiveness that had dominated her entire existence, remained an empty arena. Since the border between right and wrong was hazy, diluting their incessant clash into a stalemate, all that persisted within her conscience was a battle of fears.

The captivating terror of an imminent danger, paralyzing body and mind, leaving no time for reflection, reaction, awareness versus the perpetual helplessness lurking on the horizon. Its languid nature nourished agony and left the prey at the mercy of a barren future. Always intangible, subduing softly merely by taunting, a cunning tactic that sharpened reason beyond endurance. Fear of death versus fear of life.

In an instant, the mute flat image projected onto the window frame had invaded her unconscious, removing itself from the entire context of reality, replacing it, subduing reason to instinct. Why did existence suddenly become so grim? Sayanne lacked any skills except for the ones she needed to amuse herself.

That future was simply a projection of a wasted present, an extension of her abilities and the mirror of her faith.

Like most people, spending so much time staring in the wrong mirror, Sayanne looked for the culprit of her unhappiness everywhere except inside herself, too ignorant to see that the path she had been dragging on was paved with her own choices.

It seemed her welfare was more important than her life. Welfare, a vague concept she never had to think about, abruptly demanded attention. Lacking the means to influence it, the illusion shattered into a more accurate perception of her condition.

It was far easier to give up and perish instantly than rise and take fate into her own hands one day at a time. Sayanne’s mind ran around in circles, failing to grasp how it was possible to instantly lose everything she had always taken for granted and be helpless.

She ran to them, stumbling, hoping that deep down inside their metal guts something might still be ticking. The distance between them was shrinking rapidly, although the silence thickened with every step she took.

Sayanne stopped short a few meters away from the mammoths, clenching her fists, angry and beautiful. Her childish pose was intended to command the utmost authority. Seeing that the machines could not read body language, she started screaming at them.

The deep irregular breathing was keeping her anger alive and strong enough to outweigh despair. Her body was shivering, unable to translate the fragmented impulses crashing inside her mind into actions. Aggressively motivated by her survival instinct, Sayanne struggled to trace the answers by rummaging through a nonexistent experience.

Tension increased, fueled by failure, and tilted the balance in despair’s favor. Aggressiveness fought back to feed the illusion of being in control. Her heart was pounding, out of tune. Incoherent commands assaulted the seemingly paralyzed body that feverishly strained to execute them all at the same time.

Under the shade of a nearby tree, a somewhat alert kitten scrutinized a still human, barely noticing the nervous twitches of the limbs, a bizarre display of static exertion. The earlier screaming instantly sharpened its instincts and ruined a perfectly good nap. Survival, a key aspect in the life of any efficient cat, dictated, among other things, swift eye goggling for maximum surveillance performance.

Ultimately, the lazy feline concluded that there was not enough motion in the scene to pose an imminent danger and fell back asleep, lacking any ability to fathom the savagery of the wars waged inside a human’s soul. Because they are immaterial, paradoxically, they can reach any magnitude. Their sole property is weight.

Thousands of conflicting muscle contractions added to the choreography of agony that was hastily draining Sayanne’s vitality. The crippled consciousness declined until her vision gently dimmed, clouded, and a cool breeze dispelled the sense of gravity. Just before attrition drew the curtain, the faded deceived rational connection finally snapped.

Sayanne kicked the combine right in the metal. The sharp pain radiating from her crushed toes put an abrupt end to the grandiose opening of her private inferno and forced her to concentrate on a more objective present.

Fully awakened by the blow, she continued to stand there with one leg dangling in the air, perplexed by her reaction. Nature’s serenity and life’s saturated colors struck Sayanne with their calm. What could have possibly triggered such a grossly disproportionate emotional reaction?

The pain was forcing her to stay focused on the present. A few thoughts cleared the mind, and Sayanne finally remembered the way her father used to handle malfunctions.

All she needed to know should be displayed on the large monitor in the kitchen. The live operations log listed every process the machines were executing. Searching through the history log should prove more helpful. The errors tab filtered countless other events and pointed out the faults in thick red lettering. A quick analysis should suggest the most appropriate course of action and prepare a damage report to be sent to the service technicians.

Retracing these steps in her mind, Sayanne rushed back to the house and barged into the kitchen, anxious to put her thoughts into practice. The slippery tile floor accentuated her momentum, and she slid uncontrollably toward the enlarging black canvas of the monitor, ready to envelop her with its uselessness.

Sayanne’s rush was waning together with the inertia that almost crushed her into the void of the screen. The pathetic shrine that, even functional, could provide little more than a few sterile answers. Her last hope, a wide frame of glossy nothingness, could only offer a poor reflection of herself.

The world was probably coming to an end. Not the whole world, just hers. Without other options, all that remained was to dissolve and rest calmly on the floor, staring into the ceiling. The calm before the storm.

Nothing assaulted Sayanne’s soul anymore. The white grainy ceiling continued to exist as a white grainy ceiling. There was no more pain. Only silence. Yet somehow, this oblivion felt uncomfortable. Strangely enough, the stillness lacked peace. After so many blows dealt by this bright day, the torment vanished in a heartbeat, always one step ahead of her. The inviting tranquility felt as alluring as it was surprising.

Where she expected to find comfort, she found solitude. She welcomed it as her salvation, and now she was drowning in it. However, there was something else trying to hide inside the emptiness, a burdensome presence, an unwelcomed company that deepened loneliness.

Oblivion had the unexpected effect of stirring up a shapeless feeling from a recent past. The excruciating lifelessness was gently suffocating her while this uneasy emotion came and went, poking her conscience, eluding her memory. Her rest was still torture, devious, masquerading torture.

Sayanne sensed its roots buried deeply into her childhood, a constant presence that thrived in the absence of introspection. A close companion that had always been there, hidden, rarely giving itself away to the senses. Until now. Although betrayed by the surrounding absence, it remained unmasked. And yet, its taste was nothing but personal. She chased the scent of the same obscure heavyheartedness that would loom whenever she had to face an obstacle. Even an insignificant one.

She hung on to this mystery, her last possession. Somehow, a crooked thought, disguised as her own, unveiled half of the secret. The reason. This nameless anguish had to be the reason for everything.

A torrent of questions assaulted Sayanne, throwing her back into the fight.

Why is this happening to me? Why is everyone and everything gone? Why did they abandon me?

And, from the lack of answers, an answer was born.

You’re useless.

Cristin Slobozeanu

The entire Chapter 10 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume I:

The unconscious spilled into reality, tainting it. It’s her fault. For everything. That’s why her parents died. She couldn’t save them. They abandoned her. The machines. Another obstacle she couldn’t overcome. They abandoned her.

Like waking up from a nightmare into a worse existence, an avalanche of tears gushed out while a violent gasp forced the air to invade her dry mouth and scorch its way down the throat to play her chest like an erratic piston.

The final blow of this precisely calculated staged tragedy, an innocent invitation of being honest with herself, subtly denatured by her own ego. A perverse revelation that lifted the mask off her executioner’s head only to expose a mirror.

Quite amusing from a cynical perspective, it seemed a far worse sadistic torture was possible. What made it so exquisite was the simple fact that it required no effort to unleash itself other than being convincing. It was a mere realization. A bitter relief, this crumb of truth.

Everything came back to her chaotically, and she was compelled not only to relive her torment but also to take apart the past in search of its seeds. Sayanne stared at herself from an unfamiliar perspective, a complex bird’s-eye view over her existence as synergy between the demonized past, the misleading present and a speculative future. With this unexpected wisdom, branches upon branches of causes, effects and consequences erupted uncontrollably, contorted and intertwined, shaping stronger repercussions. They ramified wildly like cracks on thin ice, leading to an intricate and ultimate constraint of guilt.

Sayanne was sinking into the darkest depths of hopelessness. The ones where hope cannot even be remembered. A step away from nothing. The alluring finale that promised to end all suffering, that promised nothing. And Sayanne was so tired, defeated, bashed, scorched, shaken, robbed, emptied, crushed, guilt-ridden, hunted, naive and ultimately useless.

No, not useless. After all, she was responsible for everything. Destructive, harmful, careless. Worse than useless.

Maybe you should return to the forest.

But the nothing is a trap. The nothing is just the beginning.

The midday sun was at its highest, and the impaling rays burned through the skylight’s weak neutral density filters. The harsh light hit her face. Sayanne’s pupils shrank lethargically. It was still dark where she lay.

Some reflexes kicked in. Her eyelids triggered as mechanically as an old camera shutter. Another impulse turned her head away from the insistent light. The mild physical pain in her eyes stole Sayanne away from the abyss and brought her back home for a moment.

A foggy image of her surroundings briefly diluted the thick darkness clouding her mind. As reality began to dissolve, scattered through the murk, Sayanne’s attention clung to a rectangular pool of colors floating on the white wall she was now facing. Adrift in this lapse, the young woman clutched at one last straw, trying to keep the door open for this out of focus memory.

All those people in her family who had to rely on their knowledge, skills and experience to build everything around her didn’t seem so ridiculous anymore. They knew how to survive, create and leave something behind. She knew how to consume.

Clung to the meaning of the yet unclear object in front of her, Sayanne’s brain was beginning to function objectively. Had she ever been so sincere with herself? It was hard to imagine.

Distracted from the flimsy ephemeral construction of agony she had gradually succumbed herself into, Sayanne was confronted with a more persistent type of pain, an aching back from lying stiff on the tile floor.

Again, the same obsessive thought. So many generations struggled to surpass the obstacles of life, to better themselves, to add their contribution on top of everyone else’s, and there she was, taking advantage of everything.

What was the mechanism that sustained her condition? A frail illusion. The soulless perpetual labor of some machines. It was scary to see how fragile her life had been and how much she depended on everything else, even for the most common household tasks.

Sayanne’s mother and father smiled at her from the painting. She could see them clearly now, consciously. The young woman crunched into a fetal position and gazed at her parents, trying to read into their still expressions, seeking forgiveness. Slow tears weaved a shy, silent cry, shaping a new feeling. Shame.

No.

Sayanne descended into the cellar. A roomful of oddities, a bunch of objects that couldn’t do anything on their own. She had no use for them, although she enjoyed riding her great-grandfather’s bicycle. The young woman suspected that it was much older. It allowed her to glide peacefully and savor the scenery, unlike the massive hoverbike, which smeared away nature’s canvas with its ridiculous speed.

To a stranger, the assortment on display might have come across as trivial. Various models of mass-produced items, a collection of personal belongings with little value in themselves. Their significance emerged from the tangible connection they offered with people from other times.

Her father honored them by arranging this modest family museum. There was something in this room that commanded respect, a certain atmosphere. Maybe it had something to do with the chiaroscuro lighting or maybe with another type of contrast. Sayanne had never met any of these people who smiled at her from the photographs. She understood who they were, but she did not feel any connection to them.

With all the automation that technology bestowed upon humanity, Sayanne took everything for granted and felt no need to contribute. On the other hand, there were hardly any activities that demanded her involvement. She belonged to the first generation of people who had to make no effort in order to survive.

Her father brought her here occasionally and made her memorize their family history. However, they were speaking different languages. He intuited she was drifting apart, losing her identity, but he was always too busy to be close to her and strengthen the bond. It wasn’t difficult for Sayanne to remember a bunch of names, dates and accomplishments, she just couldn’t fully grasp the purpose.

Driven by one emotion, in a way, she was stepping down here for the first time. Powerful enough to scatter the demons, shame gave her two options, fight or fade.

She paced in front of the wooden pedestals, hand-carved by her father, trying to discover which of the exhibits might be useful on her journey. Still a bit distrustful, Sayanne endeavored to see beyond glass displays and dry knowledge.

The decision being made, it was now time to face the challenges. Even though the main goal seemed clearly defined, Sayanne remained hesitant about how to approach it. She simply didn’t know where to start. Just hop on the bike and go look for help, was the first thought that came to her mind, the only action she felt capable of performing. Underneath it, the same old facile plan was at play. Just grab the pan flute, run into the forest and sing. It sounded like something the other Sayanne would do, the ignorant and irresponsible girl she was trying to leave behind.

Luckily, she had a set of behavioral patterns stored in her memory, delivered impulsively by the brain in times of unfamiliar circumstances. A wealth of mechanical instructions and tiresome clichés provided by interactive movies and holovision. Sayanne tried to apply some of them to the current situation, but the options were constrictive and limited to shallow problems. She found that they had a very limited usage in real life, where suspense had no practical use, and the future would not fit within the tight confines of a predictable holoplay. Such reflexes were merely stimulating her impulsivity, and as her sore foot indicated, impulsivity was not very helpful when knowledge was thin.

Her repertoire of clever one-liners failed to revive the mammoths and convince them to resume their work. Life’s obstacles could not be edited away, and time could not be stretched or compressed for the benefit of the protagonist. How long would the fiction hero survive in the real world?

Let down by her assumptions, Sayanne had to conclude that entertainment did not prepare her for reality. Instead, it altered its perception and distorted her expectations. Self-confidence risen from ignorance scatters at the first wind gust.

Furthermore, the constant flood of images looping inside her mind interfered with her ability to focus and reason. Clearly, she needed nothing more than to devise a simple plan of action, but it was difficult to concentrate and impose a mental barrier against these parasite thoughts.

The more seconds passed by without providing solutions, the more she wanted to ransack the place, throw everything in a backpack and ride into the sunset, solving every problem as it came, suddenly, heroically, cinematically. The stall was getting harder and harder to endure. Time itself derailed into an arrhythmia dictated by panic. Or was it her heart counting the seconds? All the other clocks were dead.

The strong, evocative and fragmented filmic memories were kicking Sayanne in and out of reality, inducing an intermittent attention deficit, a succession of spasmodic transitions between her frantic reverie and incapable awareness. Carrying her back into the world, the second of confusion that took forever to reestablish consciousness and context. Elliptical cinematic time raced against life’s inflexible rhythm with adrenaline as their arbiter.

Without an objective way to measure the moments, Sayanne was left at the mercy of her senses, just standing there and staring at the stubborn objects that wouldn’t respond to willpower and vocal commands. How could this junk be any better than modern technology? After all these years, what other purpose could it serve than to bring back someone’s memories?

Subtly, frustration and doubt would build up. Then, the heroic images would come unnoticed and anesthetize her before she fell back into despair. The balance was still fragile, and the young woman had no idea she would collapse for good at the first serious blow. However, Sayanne had all the necessary defense mechanisms to protect her from the real world. They only needed to adapt and catch up to her.

Blinded to the existence of peace and how to reach it, her scarred mind just struggled to find balance, any sort of balance. Instead of aspiring to heal, it used its scant strength to carry on with its tumors, graceless. Survival of sanity was all she could hope for in a world of thriving psychiatrists.

After another tiresome and futile rehash of illusions, she would return. Soon enough, Sayanne lost track of her wanderings, which distorted perception of time even more, turning a few daydreaming minutes into wasted, perilous hours. She was exhausting herself, haunted and hunted by fantasies, and although she was not being chased anywhere, her heart was racing.

Did adrenaline trigger panic, or was it the other way around? Why was she feeling less secure and increasingly threatened? Was everything converging into impulsivity, or impulsivity was diverging into everything? Sayanne’s mind ran around in vicious circles. All she knew was that everything translated into a burning desire to act in any way, just act. Her limbs and her back were itching with anticipation. Yet on top of everything, an emerging voice, critical thinking, was pleading for patience.

Sayanne’s reaction was an exaggeration. The same was underestimating herself. Her brilliance arose from art. Somehow, she needed to find a way to subordinate her artistic talent to analytical thinking and direct creativity toward compensating for the lack of practical experience.

Since memories were running loose, perhaps an exercise in imagination might point them in the right direction. Meanwhile, all that irrational energy, which had built up inside of her and demanded recklessness, needed to be cleared away.

Sayanne resumed pacing around the exhibits and examined them from different angles. One by one, their characteristics came into focus. Theoretically, she knew how everything worked, more or less. The difference between theory and practice seemed a bit vague, though.

The young woman stopped in front of a theodolite. It’s a precision instrument used for surveying, and it measures angles. That was about all she could recall. Sayanne peered through the telescope but couldn’t remember what to do next. Ignorance revealed itself once more. This time she was not upset. It was a good remedy for keeping overconfidence under control.

What would these departed people do in a situation such as this? They would probably do the work of the machines themselves and not turn it into a tragedy. Finally, she was beginning to understand their freedom. So much less shallow than hers. For so long, Sayanne had felt pity for them for exhausting themselves to prolong their existence. She believed they were the slaves of their biological needs.

Their work helped them build experience, self-esteem, knowledge, satisfaction. It shaped who they were, the very virtues she needed at that moment to succeed. Even she had to practice to excel at playing the pan flute, at painting. It gave them the means to negotiate with the world around them.

“There is a price to pay for everything you don’t know.” A great-aunts’ motto carved boldly on the bottom frame of her portrait. She never understood what it meant until now. There was no currency. Why would anyone have to pay for anything?

These small revelations brightened her. At the same time, Sayanne was intrigued about the nature of her motivation, this new feeling she couldn’t even name. The moment she took the first step toward reaching her goal, it mutated into a sort of euphoria. An exhilaration that fueled a sprawling compulsion, the wish to make up for all these lost years in a few minutes.

These extreme sudden changes made her aware of her emotional instability and of the need to find a balance between affectivity and reasoning before all else. She couldn’t let her emotions run loose anymore and lead her into chaos again. They needed to listen to reason. But what was right and wrong, and where was the truth?

It was somewhat funny to see that the failure of such a simple task revealed an entire ramification of inner problems and shortcomings. She optimistically decided to see it as a cartography of her psyche, a reflection of her knowledge triggered by reality. Obstacles helped to define herself and to perceive her limitations. The initial results proved to be disappointing, although the process was quite exciting. Discovering what the mind could do and putting it to good use promised a great deal of satisfaction.

Sayanne noticed a map hand-drawn by her grandfather. It might come in handy. Flying to the city was straightforward. Following an irregular path on the ground appeared to be rather complicated without proper guidance.

Grandpa Nilbuhr, the cartographer. Why was he still drawing maps by hand in 136? Wasn’t paper hard to find back then? Holography wasn’t new. Maybe it wasn’t so evolved and spread out like today, but the tech was available.

The map was at least fifty years old and was drawn artistically rather than pragmatically. It served as a gratifying reminder of each generation’s accomplishments. The concentric borders of their territory indicated each expanse, detailed by short text descriptions. Sayanne noticed her father’s handwriting on the last entry. Curiously, beyond his border outline, there was another one, barely visible, drawn in pencil. The dotted line of wishful thinking, bearing Sayanne’s name. The ambitions of an estranged father who obsessed over duty and avarice.

So she was not the first to stray from family tradition. Sayanne simply rejected it, whereas her father took it to the extreme. Rejection was obvious, excess was insidious. As someone who failed to discern between need and greed, he grabbed more land than everyone before him put together. Tradition became a purpose instead of guidance and, at the same time, the pretext to feed his weaknesses. Bound by circumstances, Sayanne had judged her entire family and its values by the actions of a single man, by her father’s obsessions and petty fanaticism.

This map revealed more than it was meant to reveal. However, the land routes to the nearest cities were more important at that point. Due to the large scale of the drawing, they were included only partially, but it was enough to point her in the right direction.

I need uncle Gerryn’s compass. The one with water in it.

Sayanne found it in a collection of camping equipment along with a few other useful items that needed to be packed. She went back to her room and returned with her backpack, sleeping bag and a few clothes. According to the map, the nearest city was seventy-four kilometers away, three degrees north. Probably a two, maybe three-day trip. Good thing these old compasses worked the same as digital ones.

A water canteen, a multi-tool, first-aid kit and other things she might or might not need filled the backpack pretty fast. It looked as though Sayanne wanted to take something from everyone. She added a pair of satchels to the bike’s trunk rack and stuffed them with an extra six liters of water. A machete caught her eye. It was odd to see a knife without any moving parts. She tied its sheath to the bike frame, close at hand.

By then, she already knew electronic devices were unusable. What didn’t add up was the fact that automated digital gear had been an integral part of life since before anyone could remember. The real age of these mechanical objects remained somewhat of a mystery. They made up at least one-third of all the items on display. One thing was for sure, her father chose to display exclusively those things that belonged to the family. They must have been passed down from one generation to the next until they became illegal and had to be turned in for recycling or stashed away.

Trying to snatch the bicycle for a ride was always an adventure in itself. It was the only thing that scared her father aside from poor yields. He regretted teaching her how to ride it. The young girl was grounded whenever she got caught but never gave up on her mission to recapture their few happy moments together in the forest. The story of a little girl too short to reach the saddle, hopping rather than pedaling, who would get upset every time she noticed Daddy keeping the bike steady.

Sayanne took one last glance at her gear before she finished packing and noticed that something was missing. She raided the kitchen, searching for food with the clumsiness of a guest. Not a lot of options for the road. The machines cooked something else every day, so the portions were small, fresh and perishable. She scraped together some pastrami and a few slices of matured cottage cheese, a bunch of dried fruits and various nuts and seeds. They were barely enough for the trip, but Sayanne managed to split them into a few modest travel rations. The bags were packed.

She gathered up the breakfast leftovers for a quiet meal before she left. The weak ND filters allowed the sunlight to pour heavily inside the kitchen and be diffused by the immaculate walls, rendering a glamorous Sayanne sitting at the table with a yolk-smeared bacon strip in one hand and a jug of milk in the other, reflecting.

Spare food was not the usual cuisine the young woman had been accustomed to, yet there she was, smiling back at the recent past and beyond. Sayanne rejoiced in the thought that somehow, through the years, her forefathers were reaching out to her when she needed them the most. She smiled wider, feeling her roots for the first time. Her heritage revealed her identity, pulled her out of despair, gave her a purpose and the means to fulfill it. Quite powerful these departed men and women, and all they asked for in return was not to be forgotten.

Sayanne got on the bike and looked back upon her deserted kingdom. It didn’t look so scary anymore. After all, it was a simple trip to the city. Once she found help, she’d be back home in ten minutes, and her routine and dreams would return to their infinite cycles.

An over-the-shoulder glimpse of the past. All she could take with her. Everything looked the same but somehow new. It wasn’t the light, it wasn’t the weather, it was maturity. The bitter dish life serves if she catches you unprepared.

Detached, watching the immobile landscape with wiser eyes, she sought to find the difference. The proportions changed when her tiny realm imploded under the weight of the world, when she discovered there was more to life beyond her boundaries. The universe expanded, and with it her understanding.

Seconds and revelations change you forever. Her old self was rushing to become a memory. As she sensed the departing child escape into the forest, the changes that had taken place within her became clear. Sayanne understood that the insight and feelings she earned today would not fit inside the bubble of naïveté she used to live in. Shallow needs, shallow happiness. Responsibility pushed her toward higher aspirations and smothered the luring laziness and blithe. A lenient smile sealed the farewell.

The little girl vanished, leaving behind a fragrance of childish joy that softened the trail of hazardous ignorance. The vengeance of the past is the oblivion of mistakes. Carried away by the warm breeze, innocence and carelessness blurred into ambivalent nostalgia. Today was the day life caught up to her.

The point of no return, right there at the gates. She used to believe happiness meant running away from pain. Now there she was, confronting it so that someday she could embody true virtues.

With these thoughts in mind, Sayanne pedaled away on the dusty road, mostly driven by adolescent optimism. Still unconsciously overconfident, she never considered any chance of failure.

Cristin Slobozeanu

An excerpt from Chapter 16 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume one:

A spacious yet intimate top brass conference hall. The kind of place where impacting decisions are casually made by a handful of people who keep forgetting that the sweet taste of power has only a marginal effect on their life span.

The mood was a bizarre mix. Lighting as dim as the glow of candles, throwing long sheens across the lacquered furniture, became crushed by the dark ceiling that seemed to rest on nothing but rosewood bookcases. Endless rows of tomes, growing into the shadowy heights, blending into the arches, bordered the contrasting rectangular, shallow, fluorescent frame of the holo projector. An intriguing melange, a seamless graft of distinct flavors imbuing together the imposing and the distinguished scent of a library, the comfort and familiarity of an old cinema and the solemnity and confidence of a tribunal.

Inside this long and narrow hall, there were only three people. Although none would be here without certain competence, there was something quite unremarkable about them. They belonged to the same breed. Their faces always lingered in the dark as if they wanted to stay distant even among themselves.

These men were bound by no tier, nameless shadows whose existence could not be proven, specters whose delight lay not in glory and recognition but in total, silent domination. Their Excellencies. The exponents of centralized power.

Contemplating how the light fell off on the upper rows of books, softly sending them into obscurity, was His Excellency the Professor, master of the press, entertainment, education, pornography, advertising and propaganda. More concisely, the ruler of omnimedia. Next to him, His Excellency the Surgeon owned public and animal health, emergency services, sports, food and drugs and ecology. Across the table, His Excellency the Architect controlled technology, industry, research, transportation, economy, labor. Finally, there should have been one more Excellency in the room, but he liked to keep people waiting.

More or less secretly, they all hated each other for not being able to decisively tilt the balance of power in one direction or another. There was a time when all the seats in the room were taken. Now it was an empty battlefield, an arena where well-dressed animals used to tear one another apart. That hall could have passed for anything, except for what it really was, a jungle. Unfortunately for the surviving four, centralized power was stretched enough as it was. They would have never admitted it, but trying to exert control over so many aspects of life demanded almost inhuman effort. Since Their Excellencies were mere mortals, although at times some doubts would certainly arise, they had to live with the frustration that their tentacles had come to the end of their reach. Nevertheless, they would have viciously seized a few moments of complete power, hoping to quench the ever-growing thirst for domination, which preyed upon them, tireless. A morbid obsession that herded the remnant offspring of deluded nihilists who had striven to become the authority they fought against with all their hypocrisy. The few people who could smell such subtle irony were dead, driven into the abyss by the same passions, forsaken at the end of the same road Their Excellencies themselves were scouring. Because sacks of bones make for flimsy gods. The thirst would go on to consume them all, long after history would have forgotten their names and meaningless trials for things so volatile. For what feeds greed but dust in the wind?

“Bad news?” inquired His Excellency the Architect, noticing that His Excellency the Surgeon was frowning over a report.

“I’ve just received the results of a study, and it confirms a suspicion I’ve had for some time. The sanitation technicians are pretty much useless past the age of forty. Their health declines so rapidly around this age that there are hardly any reasons to keep them alive. Take a look at the numbers. Their productivity is ridiculous compared to their medical expenses. They simply aren’t worth it.”

Last update on September 21, 7:03 am by Cristin Slobozeanu.
Cristin Slobozeanu

The entire Chapter 6 of Ignorance, the Freedom of the Weak, volume I:

Case was trying to find his way through the dark. Nighttime veiled those shy rays of sunlight that constantly reminded sewer people of another world. Blissful for most, annoying for some, fiercely motivating for one.

Despite moving through his own territory, with little reason to act suspicious, Case slinked along the curved walls like a ghost, covered by thick shadows. He was returning from a successful deal, the final one that would crown all his efforts.

There was something childish in the manner in which he tried to conceal his bulky prize under the jacket, hugging it with one hand while sneaking crookedly, hindered by the burden. But his appearance was the last thing on his mind.

The more he advanced toward the accomplishment of his goal, the more he feared an abrupt failure. Now that he held the final piece of the puzzle tightly to his chest after completing the last risky deal, Case’s heart was pounding, afraid some unexpected, ridiculous event might blow away his house of cards.

A sudden disaster coming moments away from concluding years of hard work would have been indeed ironic, considering all the other risks Case had exposed himself to. But the boy had less to worry about than he thought. He imagined that the threats he was facing were directly proportional to the ambition of his plans.

In reality, all he had to do was maintain the appearance of doing conventional trading. It was more likely that any real danger would come from the men he did business with rather than familiar faces. Case had no idea who those people were or what they used his stuff for, but he had to trust them in order to obtain what he needed. As for his sewer people, they were too busy being trapped in their own mazes, trying to solve the hardest puzzle of them all. Life.

Maybe Case had a bit of pride in him after all.

As soon as he learned how to read, write and make basic use of current technology, which happened fast enough, Novak had to accept full-time responsibility as a father.

Scraping garbage from the sewer floors hardly required any skills or training, but Novak wasn’t preparing Case for mastering the rake, he was opening his eyes to the joys of exploring, turning his hideous labor into an appealing child’s play.

While most fathers passed down their hate and misery to their offspring, perpetuating a depressing existence, Novak knew how to set his torment aside and instill Case with a constructive approach to his future job. He simply taught his son that his task was to explore and discover the treasures hidden into the ever-flowing piles of garbage.

Embracing his father’s perspective, little Case let this new activity take over his excited imagination, and once he was old enough to articulate goals, scraping became nothing more than a means to an end.

Ever since he began reading technical books, Case had been able to point out various other objects that could be turned into profit, as well as new uses for the ones they usually collected. Novak rejoiced, catching a glimpse of Serene’s intelligence driving the boy’s enthusiasm.

The child took his passion one step further when, at eleven, he built a rudimentary metal detector. In time, this simple device increased its range of detection, learned how to discriminate between types of metals and nonmetals and even gained ultrasonic capabilities for image rendering.

As years went by, Novak saw himself be surpassed more and more by his teenage son. Since he knew how to love, he was almost incapable of envy and truly admired his son’s brightness and accomplishments. The feeling that prevailed the most was amazement.

One day, however, the worm of jealousy slipped into his soul.

It was the day Case did more than just find some copper or even silver with his metal detector, buried some place no one would have bothered to search. Novak couldn’t understand how the tool worked, and as it became more complex, he stopped trying to figure it out. Yet the fact that it spared them of most of the scavenging effort never failed to impress him.

It was that easy. Case would walk around, pointing his detector left and right until the device started to flash a discreet red light. Then they would dig and discover some metal. Sometimes more, sometimes less, a lost piece of jewelry or maybe a worn-out screw.

They did not give up scavenging by hand because the metal detector would only point to some materials and not their value, at least not at first. It also took away some of the charm of exploring. Still, it allowed them an invaluable piece of mind. They were not struggling for survival anymore. The device filled the bags ten times faster, but that didn’t mean they could profit ten times more.

Stockpiling valuables was not for the sewer people. Even if they could afford to live beyond their means, they had no way of showing it. Splurging was dangerous. Vanity had to stop there.

They couldn’t increase their profits, but the free time gained from the lighter workload proved to be all the more valuable. Case devoted these precious hours to studying and crafting while Novak turned to reading his novels or traded their discoveries.

He established a daily quota, an approximate value for the items that needed to be gathered. Novak considered their needs generously and set the margins comfortably past the survival threshold. When this quota was met, they would relax and go through the trash by hand, chatting, laughing, bonding.

After lunch, they would plow through the garbage, push it to the dump and return home to enjoy their passions. Novak understood the value of the time they spent together and saw it as a reward for his suffering. He cherished these moments that Serene had gifted him.

Case was too young to understand his father’s life and feelings, but he enjoyed and benefited from this healthy father-son relationship forged against all odds in an unhealthy environment.

If the measure of a man’s wealth were measured in the amount of time spent with his family, then Novak and Case were among the wealthiest people on the planet. A curious chain of events and opportunities, some voluntary and some not, nourished an environment that enabled them to live and feel happiness, while other luckier people were doomed to fill their souls with its surrogate, pleasure.

Even the inability to live as well as they afforded, allowing them some comfort but not pleasure, helped them acknowledge and appreciate the important things in life.

Tranquility blossomed on their faces, and after a while, they lost the sense of urgency that mechanically drove the existence of their peers. Without knowing it, Novak and Case were accidentally experiencing some of the privileges of the upper classes. The other sewer dwellers noticed it before they did. No one had an explanation for it, and fortunately for them, no one could be bothered to take a break from their unending survival race to search for one.

At about fifteen Case began to develop his own contraband network. He disliked trading and bargaining but had to do it out of necessity. Novak’s connections, albeit numerous, could only stretch so far. Case’s goods demanded another market.

At that moment, Novak understood they were rich. And he understood the price he paid for this wealth.

Case continued to build upon his previous work at an exponential rate, channeling his otherwise unusable profits into acquiring more sophisticated technology. He could then research and engineer even more valuable tools. A sort of virtuous circle that led Case to finally discover a way to jam civilian and military surveillance. Without such an instrument, constructing a clandestine aircraft would have been pointless.

The scan jammer became quite popular and was in high demand with the boy’s shady trade partners. It was a breakthrough that ultimately earned him the propulsion and life support systems.

This device alone was worth more than enough to cure her. And Case traded it like it was nothing, just another deal he needed to make for his shuttle. He had no idea such an object, built without much effort, could have saved his mother. Even though he knew it was irrational to think this way, Novak felt angry because his son treated his work with such indifference. By associating the device with Serene’s cure, he had the sensation that Case was indifferent toward his mother as well.

Novak understood the absurdity of this thought, but the irony kept bringing back his pain and reminded him of his helplessness. In moments like these, he sensed his prison. His brief contrasting heartbeats of happiness would return to haunt him and bluntly reveal the misery of his surroundings. Even the smell.

He trembled with frustration, unable to articulate his feelings, as he saw his sole purpose, the love for his son, be eroded and perverted by an inducement sprung from his repressed limitations. At the same time, the old man felt he could have never belonged up there. Somehow, he knew that happiness should be the inherent flavor of life regardless of anyone’s abilities or social standing. His son, too young to question the legitimacy of this rationed existence, just wanted to climb up the ladder.

Novak wanted a decent life without having to become like them. To adapt was beyond his humble nature. It was too late for him. The gutter never needed anyone’s dreams. It settled for their fears, their shame and their hate. Which was enough.

The sewers also served the purpose of collecting the garbage from the street level. There were no aircraft to pick up the trash, no dumpsters or bins. Everyone hid their junk under the rug. Countless garbage chutes poured tons of waste down into the tubes day after day, and even less significant ants had to push it slowly toward the landfill.

The process could have been easily automated. So, the sewer technicians labored all day long using tools that were outright primitive compared with current technological standards. Rakes and shovels were inadequate for moving large volumes of waste no matter how hard they tried. A sort of gas-powered plow looking like an angry snowblower handled this task. However, the sanitation people were reluctant to use it and only chose to do so as a last resort. The plow would grind through the trash and spit it out further ahead as an unusable mix of materials. It was what they considered to be the real garbage.

Destroying it meant depriving themselves of one of the few voluntary activities in their lives, something that gave them a sense of control over an oppressed existence, the satisfaction of achieving a goal for their own sake, a hobby and a reason to socialize. All of these in going through trash.

This decrepit, once yellow machine symbolized the target of their hatred, doubling as a palpable object to safely absorb their anguish. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, they all had to use it. Scraping garbage all the way to the landfill was beyond anyone’s strength. They were left to wonder about the useful items they had to abandon, and sometimes the crackling sounds made by the plow gave them painful answers.

The landfill was deserted. None but the desperate roamed it, dragging their last hopes along.

Case conveniently established his base of operations somewhere between its dunes. The dump belonged to the outside world. It began where the sewage tubes ended, and for a tunnel dweller, it felt endless. An inconspicuous takeoff and landing spot for a shuttle.

By reverse-engineering the tiny holographic projectors from his holo books, Case was able to build a powerful projector, which covered a much wider area. A 3D scan of one of the numerous piles of trash provided a suitable projection that camouflaged his workshop. His real home.

Sanitation technicians were assigned a certain sector. It was the place where they lived, where they worked and where they disappeared, more commonly known as their territory. A set of unwritten rules governed the way a sewer worker approached another man’s territory.

It was considered that every piece of trash falling on someone’s turf became his property. Delving into other people’s trash meant stealing, and such an offender had to face an army of neighbors invading his own territory as punishment.

The individual sectors were adjacent to collective tubes. These were wider in diameter, allowing for heavier traffic and several plows going side by side. As for the passersby, they simply had to dodge the minced trash.

During the day, the traffic tubes were mostly populated by children, elementary school dropouts. Their parents trained them to hang around the garbage chutes and snipe any useful items their surface neighbors might bestow upon them. Such was the sky they were looking up to.

Anything that dropped in this area belonged to anyone who picked it up and found a use for it. The unwanted garbage would be pushed away together with the rest of the trash coming from everyone’s sectors.

The collective tubes led to the dump, an undivided territory no one bothered to claim. The landfill was no man’s land. No rules governed this unwanted middle ground.

Case was nearing the border. He felt exhausted even if the object he carried was more bulky than heavy. The tunnel he walked led to no dead ends. Those were the scariest, the ones that didn’t have them stare into another wall. Case seemed to travel across a giant spyglass. In front of him, a round cutout of the sky was growing larger and larger as he went up the slope. The moonshine bled into its frame, radiating restless beams. Veils of clouds told a leaden story on the sewer stage. It was the eerie ballet of life that scared them. The tip of his shoe scraped the rim. Everybody stopped there. The end of the world. They dumped the trash over its edge and fell back. The boy knelt, contemplating the ground that stretched widely before him. The endless mass of minced garbage with its irregular landforms displayed an uncanny spectacle of tonalities in the moonlight.

Gently, he uncovered his prize, pulled it out from underneath his jacket and placed it on the tube floor. A deflector dish. There was only one thing he could do with it.

Case took another gander over the shoulder to make sure nobody was following him. Feeling somewhat secure, he activated the PDA strapped to the back of his right hand. A library of tools available at the shop popped up on the screen. He browsed for a small hover deck and fed it his coordinates.

The cool night breeze kept him alert and anxious, while the suffocating stench of the sewers threatened to push him over the edge. These were his last real moments of reflection, a few seconds before the platform would arrive. There was no going back beyond that point.

He sat there in silence with his feet dangling over the edge of the tunnel, wondering about what he was supposed to feel. He had reached the conclusion of a long journey, which spanned most of his childhood and adolescence. It was a road he knew well, a path he struggled to lay for himself, knowing where it would lead.

From this moment on, he would face the unknown. The real journey was only beginning, and this time, he could not anticipate its outcome. This inscrutable mystery, which could not be solved by any formula, was a lot scarier than being caught smuggling a deflector dish.

He thought there was still a choice to be made, but the die had been cast years before. He had no other option than to go on and fulfill his dream. Otherwise, all those years of struggle and ambition would have been wasted for nothing. That mattered more than any fear.

The platform arrived. Case placed the deflector carefully on the metal surface, secured it in place and sent it back to base. He knew he was approaching a decisive turning point in his life, but it felt like an ordinary breezy night.

Looking back one last time, he grabbed the handles of the side ladder and climbed down to the landfill. He had to walk for a while, but he welcomed this quiet stroll after the exhausting hide-and-seek race beneath the shadows.

Case wanted to prolong these few minutes of freedom. He was not used to feeling this way. There was always something that needed to be done, studied, built, traded. The hours required to do his real job were minimal, but his ambition was always hungry.

It was time for him to enjoy the fruits of his labor. That moment when nothing else had to be done except walking on in the cool breeze without a care in the world. Those seconds felt so peaceful and so few.

Case was approaching the shop. Before stepping through the mirage of the 3D projection, he needed to check his traps. To keep the scavengers away, another set of holographic projectors displayed unapproachable pits and abrupt cavities, which would have discouraged anyone from advancing.

And if someone had gotten too close, a circular array of sensors would have triggered a surge of electricity passing through inconspicuous pieces of metal lying on the ground. Any unwanted guests would have been treated to some painful arks of low-voltage current.

Case was certain that the hopeless shadows who roamed the dump did not have enough strength to drag themselves so far away from their holes, but he always tried to have as few variables as possible in his equations.

The sensor logs were clean. He stepped inside his workshop, and the lights turned on automatically, revealing an object the size of a gigantic egg covered by a black tarp. The deflector rested in front of it.

“Activate sound dampeners and ambient heaters,” commanded Case.

The shop came alive little by little as he was preparing for the final operations.

He pulled down the tarp, unveiling his life’s work. A shuttle pod. On the outside, it looked like a bunch of metal patches stitched together chaotically, a mosaic of trash. There was something missing at the nose.

Case picked up the deflector and slid it in place. Then he welded a few patches around it to seal the socket, leaving the dish to protrude outside. And that was it. He was finally done.

The boy just stood there, not knowing what to do next. He thought she was beautiful. She was complete, years of hard work turned into reality. From a little boy’s glimpse of imagination to a holographic scale model to a life-sized aircraft ready to take him to the stars.

However, he had no time to lose since he was running behind schedule. Case needed to fly that night. He wanted to close the tier gap by learning to pilot before going to the Academy to learn how to pilot. The boy needed to prove to himself, first and foremost, that he was more than garbage, that he could be whatever he aspired to be. And then to the world. Case had to fly that night. Otherwise, another year had to pass before he could get a second chance to enroll.

He tried to save a few more days, especially for flight training, but his contact at the scrapyard, Dimmer, delayed the deflector’s delivery. That year’s lot of scrapped aircraft arrived a few days late. The shipment was detoured and reached the yard a bit thin the night before because a few parts “got lost” on the way. Everything had an expiration date and, without exception, would be replaced by the government as soon as the day came. The year of manufacture didn’t matter as far as prestige was concerned. It was the same for everyone. It was equality.

Aircraft owners received new shuttles according to their station in life, just like they received new clothes or food. As technology progressed, the replacements would be retrofitted with a few modern features to keep up with the times, but that was it.

The real reason for celebration came when the advancements were so bold and revolutionary the outdated technology had to be passed down to the lower tiers. That would stir a ripple of welfare across the food chain.

Most of these technological breakthroughs coincidentally occurred when statistics predicted moments of civil unrest. This way, the masses had their rebellious thoughts crushed long before they had the chance to blossom. Even if it was highly unlikely that enough people would overcome their fears and strengthen up enough to pose a threat to order, the authority took no chances.

Case brushed off his garbageman’s cuff patch against the canopy lock. It slid back, exposing the inviting interior. The boy jumped into the cockpit, and the canopy slid back shut. The cockpit felt uncomfortable and resembled the exterior hull’s messy design, but the dashboard was that of a modern interceptor.

Case remembered pilots wear helmets. Perhaps he should wear one too. All those years had passed without him ever thinking about it. He smiled. He didn’t care. If anything went wrong, it would be the end. No helmet could save him. He caressed the dashboard, wondering if she would deceive him.

“Ignite.”

She came to life.

The graphical interface faded in on the glass, the dashboard lit up, and the landing thrusters ignited, scorching the ground underneath and jolting the shuttle for a second until it regained balance.

The jolt took Case by surprise. It was his first time inside an operational aircraft. He could feel her. Those countless hours of simulator training could have never prepared him for this. He knew the controls by heart, the takeoff and landing procedures, but taming her was a completely different thing.

Case became overwhelmed with enthusiasm, enticed by the need to restrain her, burning with a strong desire to catapult himself into the night sky. He still needed to take some precautions, though.

A quick diagnostic test of the deflector revealed encouraging results. It was not state-of-the-art technology, but it functioned well enough to get the job done. All systems were operational. One last infrared scan to be sure the landfill was deserted, and he was good to go.

Scan jammers on. No one to bother him unless he trespassed into the range of high-end military radars. He suspected that the most sophisticated planetary defense layer operated about a hundred kilometers away into the exosphere. He should be safe just outside the thermosphere, where security could be bypassed by tinkering geniuses.

Time to expand the universe, to crumble the ceiling of the maze, which always led to dead ends. The links of his chains were stretching, weakened. Case was beginning to feel. It was an avalanche, a torrent of fractured sensations that stole his focus and plunged him into the middle of a storm.

The emotional significance of this moment had finally made its way into his consciousness. From a simple logical conclusion, a fact stored somewhere in his memory, to sudden flames, anxiety, wishes, itch, claustrophobia, eagerness. A dormant rush waiting to be triggered by the slightest glimpse of deliverance.

The boy had been overcome by emotions even before he had the chance to take off the ground. It was better for him to experience these affective convulsions now and get acquainted with them rather than face them later when discipline and sharpness mattered the most. This was not the real test.

He had to regain his composure.

She trembled. She must have been just as anxious. His fingers dove into the pressure-sensitive dashboard. Sudden liftoff. Turbulent departure. Nostalgia felt irrelevant in a place like this. It was also unfamiliar to him. He had not left anything behind yet.

Case wished he could watch the tangled tunnels shrink and die out as he ascended. He ached to see them left behind. They could never be seen in their entirety, always concealed under the pavement, the buildings, the indifference. He could only witness the city wither into the landforms. An unknown world.

Case concentrated on the indicators to divert his wandering thoughts and harassing feelings. Altitude was increasing steadily. Fuel flow distribution on the starboard thruster was a bit off but within parameters. The temperature inside the cockpit was more or less stable. Structural integrity was optimal with no danger of decompression.

The boy raised his eyes from the numbers and discovered that the world had dissolved into obscure silken clouds of the night sky. He reduced acceleration and stabilized the altitude. The moon peering through the smoky veils set a tenebrous mood. He expected his trials to unfold within similar scenery, albeit a lot less metaphorical.

Case started practicing the standard flight maneuvers. The shuttle’s response time was not as accurate as the ground simulator’s virtual ideal conditions. Understanding the laws of physics enabled the boy to build his aircraft. As a pilot, he needed to feel and take advantage of them.

She banked a bit sluggishly, but the boy had to accept that he was flying a giant egg. It was the stripped-down version of a cruiser’s escape pod. Case’s single failsafe was the ejector seat, which he preferred not to use at extreme altitudes because he would have frozen to death on his way down.

What he could build as an engineer and what he was capable of as a pilot were two completely different things. Imbalanced, apparently. A curious realization at that moment, worrying and encouraging at the same time.

She was too tired for him. He was desperate to tear up the skies, so fed up with the simulator’s pitch, yaw, roll exercises. Urging to feel the burn of velocity, he pushed the egg as hard as possible, shooting her into the atmosphere. All or nothing.

The pressure and the heat gradually increased the strain on the deflector as the shuttle advanced through the atmospheric layers. The force field held for the moment, but it would have to withstand far greater forces upon reentry. Case redid the math in his head. Would he find the strength to tear himself away from his moments of glory and descend back into the pits after growing wings? Math remained silent.

Case suffered inside his shell, and his grimace betrayed the inner crucible. It was him battling and withstanding the forces of the universe and not the dish protecting the shuttle. He desperately wanted to sever the roots once and for all, but they kept stretching and stretching without letting him go. Friction seemed to fight against time itself.

Then, the shuttle cleared the atmosphere. Case cast away his agonizing thoughts and witnessed the infinite. He finally broke free, floating around in his tiny shell, inside the void. Yet it was darker than the sewers. This was not what the holograms promised. It couldn’t be infinite. He never imagined the infinite being dark. Were those the stars he had been aspiring to?

The planet looked so peaceful and unthreatening. Seen from such distance, nature concealed most traces of civilization. However, development had stretched into the void. Satellites, space docks, planetary defenses, and Case, floating around some debris, trying not to get noticed. Even in space, he was still buried in trash. But he didn’t see that.

It was just another obstacle course. A suitable place for him to practice his flying maneuvers and hone his skills. Although the clouds, with their irregular shapes and deceivingly morphing silhouettes, could have also provided enough challenges. The treetops, mountain ridges, canyons and all the other landforms as well.

Case paused for a moment, confused. If all he wanted to do was fly an aircraft for practice, then why did he need a deflector to ride all the way up to the stars? Did he want to become one of them or leave everything behind?

Case barged into the closet they called home, determined.

“It’s late, Case,” muttered Novak, lowering his book and yawning.

The boy paced back and forth, irritated by the tight space.

“I saved you some chicken. It’s the real thing, straight from Tier Six restaurants. Harmin called and said someone refused their order ’cause they found a bug or something. Can you believe it? Some folks didn’t even touch their plates when they heard. Well, better than going to waste, eh, son?” laughed Novak, pleased with his cynical pun.

Case couldn’t hear any of his father’s words. His mind was wandering into the near future. If so far his ambition had been tested through assiduous work, soon it would stand against the test of courage. The boy was not afraid he would lose his nerve, he was concerned about the obscure and indefinite obstacles. He was struggling against uncertainty.

“Come on, eat something. You need some real protein. Besides, that thing wasn’t cheap. Oh, and a couple of folks were asking about your perceptual-resolution holo projectors. I told them you’ll have one or two ready by the end of next week. We should try some of those interactive holo films too. You build the projectors and trade them away. We never get to try them out.”

Novak stopped talking and watched his son pace back and forth aimlessly.

“What’s the matter with you?”

“Could a bird keep living inside its cage after it learned how to fly?”

“What?”

“Tomorrow... the Academy is open for admissions.”