I would strongly recommend the Russian language film (but it is available on DVD with english subtitles!from amazon.com) OSTROV, released last year.
It has had favourable reviews from the Moscow Patriarchate, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Without wishing to spoil the plot too much, it deals with a young man who commits a murder during WW2, and is stranded on an island where there is a monastery. He spends the remainder of his life there, as a monk, in profound repentance for his actions, and becomes a fool-for Christ.
His actions make him a source of derision for many of his fellow monks, yet he is both clairvoyant and a healer.
If you get the chance, watch it !
Be the first person to like this.
\"I paid some attention to the subtitles and wonder if they might not mislead non-Orthodox or non-Christian viewers by not making it clear when he was reciting psalms in their entirety.\"
I don\'t know what you mean by \'mislead\', but I am sad that it does not translate all the prayers for my English-speaking, non-Orthodox family/friends. I think a lot is missed. Subtitles are never as good as the original language. It is still a wonderful and well done movie, though.
On that note, I had a Protestant cousin watch it, and he honestly asked \"So are they (the monks) trying to draw him in and convert him?\" and then \"So basically this guy is just crazy.\" LOL. I tried to explain, but I don\'t think he ever fully got it :) It\'s a different world, that\'s for sure.
my nana gave us this movie to watch. i have not seen it yet but my mom did and she loved it. ive heard that it is pretty good so i guess ill check it out.
We also finally saw it! I can\'t wait to see it again.
Susan Lickwar
It is indeed a wonderful film. I own the un-subtitled version and a gifted bilingual friend of mine created an \\"English language script\\" for it. The subtitled version is good but some of the translations are not as precise as they could be. If anyone is interested I\'d be happy to email Word file containing my friend\'s translation. Obviously you cannot read script and watch movie but it is helpful to read before or after watching.
slickwar@yahoo.com
Put Ostrov in subject line
OSTROV IS THE 1 AND ONLY GREATEST MOVIE ON EARTH. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.
Paul Barrera
If you like the Island, I also recommend a documentary called the Monastery: Mr Vig and the Nun.
Definitely Worth It!
I just bought a copy on ebay (8/26) for $6.90 total price (including shipping). The DVD was $1.95 and the shipping was $4.95!
michalis orfanos
i also liked it.... some say this is a true story, but i am not sure.
michalis wrote:
i also liked it.... some say this is a true story, but i am not sure.
It is a fictional story, but it is very authentic in its depiction. For anyone who wants to read about a real life person similar to Father Anatoly, read about Elder Paisios. I read about him in The Gurus, the Young Man, and Elder Paisios which is a very interesting (and true) book about a young man that is enticed very heavily by the devil and explores various eastern religions. Elder Paisios was an acquaintence of his, and very similar to the character of Father Anatoly.
I was blessed and watche Ostrov with my parent's church along with a visiting monk from The Hermitage of the Holy Cross; he was able to explain some of the nuances of the movie.
It is such a great movie, I truly believe that divine inspiration was at the heart of it all. Such a beautiful story.
To answer part of your question, John, I think Father Job desperately wanted to understand Father Anatoly, and did at the end. He carried Father Anatoly's cross, and I thought that scene was very moving. Poor guy, scratching the coffin with coal at the end!
If I may make a suggestion here: check your local public library, especially if it has a good DVD collection.
This movie is one of the best movies out there. My favorite for sure!!
Anastasia
I just purchased a copy from Archangel bookstore online. The movie is phenomenal, remarkable!
The beauty of love that Christ commanded us to have is throughout this movie.
Evgenije Step
Really not bad movie...