Luke Tia
Hi everyone.

I figured this would be a great place to ask a question I have had. When people find out that I am Orthodox, they often ask me what it is exactly. I rarely say something like, "It is the One True Church founded by Jesus Christ" since that will probably mean very little to them, especially if they are Protestants or non-Christians. So I usually say something like, "It has similar practices and belief to the Catholic Church such as confession and belief in the Real Presence in communion. It's the continuation of the traditions of the New Testament Church and the Church before the Great Schism." But that seems like too "objective" an answer - one with no heart and devotion.
What do you all say?

I suppose the best answer would be "Come and see!"

But what to say for the many who don't come?
Like (1)
Hani Lakkis
Well, what I say is that it is like the Catholic Church , but different as well. I then go into details about communion (being the wine and bread), Holy Bread, and other differences so I can educate the person I am talking to, about the Orthodox faith.
Be the first person to like this.
Gordie Thomas
Yes, "Come see and hear (and smell and taste and touch)" is always a great response. This helps you to discern between those who simply want to enter into a philosophical argument and those who are truly seeking. I also sometimes say "it is the New Testament church", and then share The Creed (Symbol/Statement of Faith) with them. Also, ask your spiritual father if he has preferred literature to share with enquirers. Depending on the person and the guidance of my spiritual father, I prefer to share "The Orthodox Way" or "The Orthodox Church" by Archbishop Kallistos (Timothy) Ware,one of the Clark Carlton series (depending on if they are protestant, catholic or "other") or any one of a number of other suitable books/pamphlets. Most important, when someone asks about your church, it's a great time to ask your spiritual father to hear your confession, and then partake of the Holy Eucharist. With such preparation, you will be well-equipped to share your Orthodox Christian Catholic and Apostolic faith with those who have ears to hear. Lord Have Mercy! 
Like (1)
Andrew Chorny

I like too say, "If GOD became man, and established a Church on Earth, it's the Orthodox Church."

Like (1)
Rebecca Anderson

I, personally, try not to associate the Orthodox Church with the Catholic Church.  While we have similar Sacraments, there are great differences.  I've run across quite a few people who have had run ins with the Catholic Church that have left bad tastes in their mouths.  I prefer to keep it simple, similar to Andrew, and say the Orthodox Church is the Church of the Apostles; the Church that has been since 33 AD.  And, as Luke mentioned, those that are truly interested will jump on the "Come and See."  

I'm far from being this way, but if we are each icons of God, then others will be intrigued and will want to know how we have come to find such Joy and Peace...St. Seraphim comes to mind...

Like (1)
Nick Calibey

I always stress theosis since most people get blow away when they learn about it for the first time, myself included 

Like (1)
Thomas B

I highly recommend this site to you as a Christian resource and access to any Orthodox Web Page in the Orthodox World. http://www.orthodoxchristian.info/pages/main.htm

Attachments
Last update on May 28, 3:45 am by Thomas B.
Dn Paulinus Heggs

Nick Calibey said...

I always stress theosis since most people get blow away when they learn about it for the first time, myself included 

Theosis is awesome in the truest and fullest sense of the word.  God hid His majesty within His own creation, becoming a man that we might become like Him, reuniting Creator and created in perfection.  At the beginning of each Proskomedia, we say the Apoytikion of the Forefeast of the Nativity:

"Rejoice, O Bethlehem; for Eden hath been opened for all. Prepare, O Ephratha; for the Tree of life hath blossomed forth in the cave from the Virgin; for her womb did appear as a spiritual paradise in which is planted the divine Plant, whereof eating we shall live and not die as Adam. Christ shall be born, raising the image that fell of old. "

This is Redemption.  This is Salvation.  This is Truth.

Last update on May 27, 2:29 pm by Paulinus Heggs.
Gu'eez Agada

I usually say it is a communion of 14 Churches, 5 of which was founded by the first Apostles themselves. Then I can go into the doctrines, Theosis and why the RCC is the only one of the first 6 Patriarchate that is not in communion with the rest.