Viewing Single Post
Gordie Thomas
sarahillis wrote:
...it (Loreena's music) can be a great bridge between the secular world and something more intangible....As for \"The Mummers' Dance\", I feel it's a perfect description of the celtic/saxon journey from pagan celebrations of Spring to celebrations such as St. George's Day and other traditionally British Orthodox festivals...Yngh Hrist, Sara-Melangell
A very interesting documentary I first saw on A&E in 1994 (just after I had visited Ireland) is on point to your comment.
The two part VHS show is called \\"Behind The Veil: Nuns\\" (1984) and explores the role of women within Ireland since the time that Christianity was first introduced in Ireland. (it was the second time, but that\'s another story).
Be informed: this is presented from a \\"feminist Catholic\\" point of view. Not being pejorative, just seeking an honest description.
In my case, seeing the documentary happened at a very pivotal time in my life when I was fighting my protestant tar-baby.
Though it took me in a totally different path initially, I\'d say it\'s likely I would never have searched and found Orthodoxy as I did, had I not seen this movie, for it was this movie which first started me to look at The Mother of God in a different light.
It was the first opening of my eyes to the possibility that there really was something mystical about Christianity.
When I finally read [url=http://www.sainthermanpress.com/catalog/chapter_three/Tao_book.htm]Christ The Eternal Tao[/url] I was able to make some sense of the mystery, and to be at peace with that which continues to be transcendent.
Here is the best link I could find:
[url=http://www.facets.org/asticat?function=buyitem&catname=facets&catnum=/5800]Behind the Veil: Nuns[/url]
Oh, and that was also very close to the time I discovered Loreena McKennitt, and though I haven\'t listened to her in a while, I get WAY more spiritually inspired by her sound than I do by almost everything I used to listen to as a protestant (CCM).
Gordie
Be the first person to like this.