Peace to all.
Dear members,
I look forward to making new friends through this forum, so please respond to this message or send me a private message.
My name for secular purposes is Bryan Puterbaugh. (John actually is my first name, but I have used my middle name, Bryan, for many years. Only my mother and insurance companies still use John. :-) ) When I converted to Orthodoxy in the 1990s, I took St Thomas the Apostle as my patron saint and added Thomas as another middle name.
Please see my profile at http://my.orthodoxcircle.com/OC/JBTPuterbaugh . As you will see, I am a member of a Western Rite Antiochian Orthodox Christian congregation in Washington, D.C. This is why I use both Eastern and Western prayers.
I also am a member of the chapter of Oblates of St Benedict, based at St Michael Antiochian Orthodox Christian Church. (For more information about Benedictine oblates in general, see http://www.osb.org/obl/intro.html . For prayers used by the chapter based at St Michael\'s, please see http://www.stmichaelwhittier.org/resources/osboff7.pdf . )
In Christ,
J. Bryan Thomas Puterbaugh, ObSB
Lord Jesus Christ have mercy upon me.
Hail Mary, full of Grace. The Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the Fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Be the first person to like this.
Paul Barrera
Welcome to OrthodoXCircle! On behalf of the staff here, we offer Glory to God for your arrival!
I hope this site will be useful. Your activity in the Western Rite will hopefully bring much fruitful discussion to this forum.
Paul
Welcome, Bryan!
Peace to all.
Dear Paul and \"GreenPenInc\",
Thank you for your kind welcomes. I note that GreenPenInc and I have the same patron saint. May St Thomas the Apostle pray for both us.
In Christ,
Hail Mary, full of Grace. The Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the Fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Paul Barrera
Hey Bryan,
I own a copy of St Benedict\'s rule. I wonder, however - is there a canonical Orthodox Benedictine group?
Paul
authio wrote:
Hey Bryan,
I own a copy of St Benedict's rule. I wonder, however - is there a canonical Orthodox Benedictine group?
Paul
The question of canonicity depends on whether this particular order is under the jurisdiction of a canonical Orthodox church. Generally speaking, the Orthodox Church does not have distinct monastic orders as do the western denominations, other than levels of monastic rank , such as novice, tonsured monk or nun, lesser schema, great schema, abbot/abbess, etc.
The matter of Western Rite Orthodoxy is a different matter, and I defer to those more knowledgeable on the canonicity of such groups to voice their thoughts.
Peace to all.
Dear Jill et al.,
Thank you for your message. Please visit http://www.stmichaelwhittier.org/resources/osboff7.pdf for more information about a group of Benedictine oblates. This group is sponsored by a canonical (Antiochian) Orthodox Christian parish, St Michael in Whittier, California. I am a member of this group, even though I live near the East Coast. I try to visit St Michael at least once every couple years for a retreat.
In Christ,
Bryan
God bless you, Sir.
Saint Benedict of Nursia is an Italian Orthodox Catholic Saint, and is one of the Western Orthodox Catholic saints who is in common between Roman West and Byzantine East before the Schism of 1014.
It is really when Rome started saying \"Filioque\" in her masses in Rome that she left behind the Catholic Faith \"once for all delivered to the saints\" (St. Jude 3).
God bless you sir.
Take care.