Viewing Single Post
lorenintucson wrote:
As someone who has recently entered the Orthodox Church, I find the OSB a valuable part of my learning about the Orthodox perspective on the Bible. I cannot read Greek ( I can parse out a little with the help of a good lexicon) and my Hebrew is very rusty ( I learned a little modern Hebrew in high school). I am reading the writings of various fathers of the church but in the meantime I find the notes and observations in the OSB to be helpful.
The average Christian is not likely to learn all of the Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic to be able to read the Scriptures in the original tongues. For us the OSB at least provides an acceptable version for daily reading. It is not perfect, but those criticizing the results of the effort put forth have not provided for the needs of the many. If providing this volume encourages Orthodox Christians to read all scripture, it is a great thing.
I agree that if this volume encourages *anyone* to read the Bible, it is a great thing.
Nevertheless, I have seen some inconsistencies in the translation and notes that made the project fall short of my hopes.
I\'m sure that this OSB is a good learning experience, and the Orthodox can put some more thinking into the Bible and its place in the Church. Including substantive references to the fathers, while making it accessible to a broad audience, is a great challenge for this work and for the next edition.
Be the first person to like this.