Dear All,
I was wondering if you could tell me if there is a book dealing specifically with the topic of clergy (Orthodox, Catholic, Other) serving in the military as chaplains, or in any other capacity, thoughout Christian history. I would love to read about that kind of ministry and if there is not a book dealing specifically with this subject, then I wish someone would write one. Surely at least someone in the RCC has written a book on this subject.
Thomais (Ikonophile)
Be the first person to like this.
There may be a book or books out there by various military chaplains, regardless of church or denomination, but I haven\'t seen any (truthfully I haven\'t looked either), are you looking for something specific, views, frustrations, encounters...? Possibly the best bet would be to ask if there are any military chaplains in OC. If I can help, I\'m a Chaplain in the Navy.
A quick read on contemporary issues for soldiers was Mansfield\'s book a couple of years ago. Seriously. Takes about an hour or two to read. Today\'s issue of unchurched is approached. Passed the book to my priest at the time who was attached to the National Guard... and understand it has made the rounds to many, many clergy.
Paste this into your browser:
http://www.amazon.com/Faith-American-Soldier-Stephen-Mansfield/dp/1585424072
Not a history book... but a quick intro. Englightening. There was also a podcast a couple of years ago on AFR interviewing an Orthodox priest in the service whose job was to recruit clergy. Tought job. Don\'t know if this is still on their site or not. You could check. They need people.
Hope this helps.