Viewing Single Post
Nick Calibey

"We read in Genesis that the angels and saints in Heaven sing praises to God. But does music exist in Hell? If so, it would no doubt remind one of rock and "heavy metal" music! This type of music awakens appalling and violent carnal emotions. It agitates the dark bottom of the listener's soul, surfacing its cabbalistic and sinful qualities."

See, I don't understand this completely. One, of course, could get carried away by emotion in almost anything and react in a un-Christian way, but how is Metallica's music inherently satanic? A lot of their early songs are lamenting the injustice of the world, pointing out things that are twisted and wrong, and usually labelling them as such. Listen to Master of Puppets or Disposable Heroes: they aren't glorifying violence or drug use, but showing how they twist and destroy lives. Am I suppose to believe that just because its loud, heavy, and fast that I can't listen to it? Is headbanging (the most I've ever done listening to metal both pre-and-post conversion) really that much an evil thing?

I'm more along the lines with others that most contemporary Christian music mixes messages, and that it's entirely unsuitable for worship. I'll also agree that as we get less attached to this world, our emotional attachment to this music will lessen and we'll naturally be more drawn to liturgical hymns. But am I really inciting the devil whenever I listen to contemporary music at all, even if I'm trying to find that which is Christ like in it (i.e., St. Basil's address about reading pagan literature)?

Be the first person to like this.