Viewing Single Post
Natanael  Perez
Wow what a discussion! Interesting thoughts all here.
I use to be in a thrash-metal band. I enjoy the music quite a bit. I dont listen to it as much as I use to but none the less once a metal head always a metal head.
Really with the comments that has been said I would like to point out a couple things. Jesus was approached by this own apostles asking about a group of people who were preaching about Jesus. The apostles wished to end the preaching, yet Jesus said if they are not against you then they are for you. Let them be. I would be careful about quickly stating who is and who is not christian. They may not be inside the church but as long as they are preaching Jesus crucified and resurrected they have something going for them. I was brought up protestant and now am Orthodox. I've not changed a single belief that i had before, i just believe more than I did before. Be careful, God is the one who says who is in and who is not. Remember Matt. 25 \"when did we feed you?\" Even they were surprised that they had meet Jesus.
Secondly I would like to add something about the hardcore/metal genre. There were some punk bands before the start of hardcore that had the typical rock and roll lifestyle. Yet a non-christian band called Minor Threat came out with a new concept:straight edge. This non-christian movement came about to go against the lifestyle of sex, drugs, and suicide (which was promoted by a very aggressive band.) They taught that the hardcore scene should be devoid of those lifestyles and have respect for yourself. Around the same time period what is considered the spirit-filled hardcore bands sought the idea of taking that music and filling it with Christ. Zao, Living Sacrifice, Extol, Unashamed,Training for Utopia, and Overcome. I will say this if they had not been around I would have gotten into trouble. But they taught me to love God. I find it interesting that while a non-christian movement cleared the moral decay lifestyle these bands came in to teach about Christ. I will further add that no music in any fashion can be Christian because it is not made in the image of Christ. Only mankind is made in the Image of Christ. Music is music it can have good or bad message in it. I will conclude that music can be baptized made holy before God. But that does not mean its functions as a liturgy. Dont get me wrong here, i'm not advocating to have any other music as church music. I'm stating that it can be glorifying to God.
Be the first person to like this.