Viewing Single Post
ReaderMichael wrote:
Don't dignify this non-Orthodox stuff with such discussions. You are far better off IN CHURCH listening to the music of your particular jurisdiction whatever it is!
Personally, I destest the combination of the terms \"Christian\" and \"music\" in this manner. There is nothing Christian about this stuff and the so-called music is pretty lame.
This is a mighty extreme view to take... I\'d once asked a monk [whom happened to be the abbott of his monestary] if hiphop/rock/etc is inherently evil, if it was wrong to listen to hiphop in general [which was Serephim Rose\'s view] and his response was that it isn\'t wrong to listen to...
We should be critical of the music, but there is nothing that says \\"all hiphop music is inherently evil\\". It\'s the lifestyle that people live that is sinful, that\'s what we should be protesting, not a particular genre of music or culture.
If you listen to the different churches liturgy servies, you\'ll find different instrumentation and culture, yet you don\'t say, \\"all Ethiopian Orthodox Liturgy is evil\\", thou it\'s different then the other Orthodox Churches in instrumentation, culture, etc.
...to get more precise, when St. Mark traveled to Egypt, he didn\'t abolish the culture Egypt, rather he \\"baptised it\\" into Christianity [which is the term that the monk had gave to me].
There is many elements that are practiced in the Church that didn\'t originate in Christianity, such as a wedding ring. Wedding rings are now part of the Orthodox Wedding Service, but originally they werent. This was explained to me as, Orthodox Christians have taken a tradition that wans\'t there\'s and baptised it.
Reza
Be the first person to like this.