Fr. Germogen Tucker
Greetings
I can only give my point of view and do not speak for the whole church.
Old Testament and New Testament Scripture, the Teachings of the Apostles and later Church Fathers, and Canon Law all concur that abortion is a sin as serious as murder, and is therefore prohibited under all circumstances.
The Church affirms that life begins at the moment of conception, and once this new life has begun in a woman, even in cases of rape or incest, she can no longer think solely of herself. Her life and the life of the baby are in the hands of the Lord. While rape and incest are grievous sins, the Church does not permit one sin to be resolved by allowing for an even greater sin to follow.
Yet, as with any sin once committed, the Church provides forgiveness and reconciliation for those who recognize abortion as a grave sin and confess it in a spirit of repentance.
I have given prayers for mothers who aborted and sincerely repented and I find these prayers are very effective for reconciliation.
As for the nun, possibly she should look at the Orthodox Church and the "way of the heart" rather than a restrictive legalistic one.
Be the first person to like this.