Dia Lamb
I look forward to a priest indeed responding to the general subject, if not every single question raised here.
I have no knowledge of how the Roman Catholic Church operates but I do have the impression they are very legalistic so unfortunately the excommunication does not surprise me.
As far as how should/would a devout Orthodox proceed in grave circumstances as these I would think that it truly depends on their spiritual level and whether they'd seek counsel from a spiritual father.
We do believe in Miracles. Therefore I'd imagine that fasting and prayers would be prescribed to all family members and the mother encouraged to leave her life in the Hands of God.
At the same time, I do not believe that a mother in very critical condition who would proceed with the terrible decision of an abortion would be excommunicated.
However I am sure they'd be a period of repentance and abstinence from Holy Communion.
On the other hand, it could be that a Spiritual Father discerns that in her illness she is in even greater need of the Christ's Holy Body and Blood and be encouraged to mourn but do participate regularly in the Holy Eucharist.
Abortion \"on a whim\" - for an unplanned pregnancy would carry a much different process I'd imagine.
However, how can it be that only the mother would be help liable in any of these scenarios?
I very much believe that God is not fooled. Should a girl find herself in the terrible situation of pregnant & abandoned, I am sure that God is not counting her responsibility only.... The sin of an abortion at whim I am sure would very firmly lay on the hands of the man who did not stand there beside her and his child.
No sin is greater than God's Mercy.
At the same time, we are not to \"play\" around with God.(\"empaizw\")
It is good to understand the gravity of our decisions each time and proceed prayerfully.
Sometimes it can be argued, there is such a thing of too heavy a Cross. I do know of a great woman of blessed memory, who indeed died while giving birth. It was her 4th child, who did not get enough oxygen during delivery and has had many problems since.
Her husband that day became a widower, and the caretaker of 3 children plus the special needs baby.
In my eyes, the whole family are martyrs, accepting their cross and continuing life close to God. I would pray and hope that I would have the same strength. We do not get to choose our cross in life. We do need it though to make it towards our salvation.
As for the nun and would she be allowed to join the Orthodox Church, this is an interesting question.
I am uncomfortable with the idea of joining the Orthodox Church only because I have \"nowhere else to go\". I would think it should be because she can firmly confess the Symbol of our Faith. That is to say, recognized our Holy Church as the one Church of Christ.
Given that an Orthodox person has to go through a period of testing and being a novice before joining a Monastery, I would doubt a nun could just \"move over\". Perhaps though she could convert and become a novice so that she is attached to a community? I have no knowledge of how this would work.
For example, I am somewhat surprised that when a priest of a different church converts to Orthodoxy, they are often allowed to join the clergy ranks. I would hope there has been serious Orthodox Theological and pastoral training before this happens.
Since some of our jurisdictions proceed in these matters differently, I am sure the recent common council of all the Bishops of our Orthodox Churches here in America will be soon addressing these.
God keep us. We may complain about our own Cross, but look at what decisions others face!...
Be the first person to like this.