Fair warning, this post has a mature theme and topic to it. For some this may be saddening, sickening, upsetting or offensive. If you feel you aren't up for a serious issue for any reason, please do not continue to read on.
Recently here in America there was this Roman Catholic nun working at a Roman Catholic hospital where a case come up where a pregnant 27 year old woman with four kids had a medical problem wherein if she didn't get an abortion both she and the child will die.
The nun authorized (or allowed, or sanctioned) the abortion of this 11 week pregnancy which apparently saved the mother's life. As a result the Roman Catholic church excommunicated this Roman Catholic Nun.
You can read details here should you wish:
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/church-excommunicates-nun-authorized-emergency-abortion-save-mothers/story?id=10799745&page=1
So here are some points of discussion, and please do correct me or add on.
From my years of being Orthodox, I think its pretty well established that abortions are not allowed, encouraged or otherwise.
Would anyone know, if there is an exception? If memory serves, the answer is no.
Also from what I know should any woman decide to not go through an abortion like this, to literally chose to die rather than kill her child, she would be considered a martyr, is this correct?
Would an Orthodox bishop excommunicate someone for life or could there be forgiveness?
Could this, or should this, nun chose to convert to Orthodoxy (theoretically) would she be welcomed under mercy and forgiveness and allowed communion in an Orthodox church?
Should the Roman Catholic bishop be more merciful (presupposing she asks for forgiveness) or was his action appropriate?
Is this a case of too many what if's? For instance what if she hadn't died?
I don't believe that the article states if the mother was given a choice, nor if she was even conscience. Does this matter?
If she was unconscious regardless if medical ethics says the procedure should be done, if they know the person's religious belief's should it be done regardless of the person's wishes / beliefs?
Should we include persons like this in our daily prayers (both the mother and another placed in this position)?
I post this not to offend, or push any particular viewpoint, but only to open us all to discussion. To give those a chance who have authority to educate us lay people. I firmly believe that by addressing tough issues in good faith, and with prayer we can all grow in Christ and hopefully achieve a better (or more perfect) Orthodox mindset.
I pray this was not too upsetting, and you have read it in the spirit I have posted it in. Please discuss, but let us all be civil and write out of love.
Be the first person to like this.