Viewing Single Post
christosjonathanhayward wrote:
A couple of points:
A friend and evolutionist pointed out that Darwin wrote The Origin of SPECIES, not The Origin of LIFE. This is different from today's neo-Darwinism in that Darwin proposed a way that new life forms could develop from a first living cell, not how the first cell could get the game started, and on that point, Darwin appears to have suggested that a divine kick provided the first life form to get evolution going. That may not be the contemporary picture at all among secular evolution, but Darwin bore the tragedy of enduring his child's death, and became a deist and wanted an account for how a deist version of God could set up the dominos for life to exist but not intervene in history. He didn't pretend to know how a first cell could evolve from non-living material; certitude in something like "chemical evolution" before any "biological evolution" only came later.
Second, there is a degree of flexibility built into Orthodoxy; the Orthodox Church rejected Novatianism, which was essentially Orthodoxy without the flexibility of oikonomia, not allowing remarriage even after a first marriage was ended by death. (Now the Orthodox Church does offer a "council of perfection" that bereaved faithful remain faithful to their spouses, but this never takes the merciless hard edge it took in Novatianism.) I would point out that the original poster was willing to believe that if the evidence was for evolution, that was how God did it. (It just turns out that today's science at very least cannot plausibly account for what would have created the first working cell. I personally believe there is more that it doesn't account for, but I don't want to go into that right now.) There is something quite Orthodox in his attitude.
Third, I would like to give some links from my website. The first and second reply directly to this question, but the third says something I consider even more valuable:
[url=http://JonathansCorner.com/origins/]The Evolution of a Perspective on Creation and Origins[/url]
[url=http://JonathansCorner.com/young/]Why Young Earthers Aren't Completely Crazy[/url]
[url=http://JonathansCorner.com/religion-scicence/]Religion and Science Is Not Just Intelligent Design vs. Evolution[/url]
Evolution is significant when it is the cutting edge of the sword wielded by secularism and naturalism. But Orthodoxy has more important things to pay attention to.
[url=http://JonathansCorner.com/]Christos Jonathan[/url]
I enjoyed wgat you had to say on several levels. I have considered going further in the scientific field, but I really want to be a doctor and don't want to concern myself with disproving the evolution theory. I have a bad habit of feeling the need to express my thoughts to everyone. I know I am arrogant and prideful making myself to know more than the evolutionists, but I am really trying not to be. So I want to say thank you for the kind rebuke. I did enter this atmosphere with the thought that if evolution is the way God did it, I am willing to believe it. However, even though I was almost convinced, although maybe on a superficial level, I had to reject this idea on the scientific basis that there are no intermediate creatures. Whether possible or not that God himself could have put His hand in it, I don't know, but obviously He did not do it that way or there would be intermediate creatures supporting it. There are no intermediate creatures, so based on a scientific observation alone I reject the idea that God used evolution.
I also liked your article about the young Earth scientists not being completely crazy. I think it is almost obsurd to think based on the bible alone that there was a literal six day creation because God did not create the sun until the fourth day. How was God measuring the days? Since it was written by Moses, this may be the description that God knew Moses would understand. However, even though I am willing to believe whatever the scientific data says, if the earth is old or young, I do not draw this conclusion by the scientific observation. A study on the science has led me to believe in a young earth. I believe the earth is less than 10K years based purely on scientific observation. With everything we have observed concerning time dilation of large masses and what would theoretically happen in zero gravity, I have drawn the conclusion that even star light may be reaching us within days for the closer stars and within a few thousand years for the farthest stars. This may be obsurd sounding to you, but I am steadily working on writing an article about my observations and how I know this is a fact. I am willing to send you the article if you would like to read it. Time dilation is very difficult to understand and some people have theorized the opposite effect than I am saying now, so it may seem wrong without me being able to explain myself. However, my opinion is based on observation and not theory alone. I believe that when I present my case along with an overview of the known observations that it will be seen as accurate. I am fully convinced that the science alone without even diving into one scripture will show a young earth.
Be the first person to like this.