Viewing Single Post
nxylas wrote:
John_ICXC wrote:
I trust the Fathers in matters of theology, but don't pay much attention to their views regarding science because more often than not, as is the case here, their views on science do not affect my understanding of God or my relationship to Him. All of the Fathers were men of their times. Pope Clement I of Rome believed that a Phoenix lived in Egypt. While that belief is absurd, it in no way diminishes his pastoral and theological views.
The trouble is, there are some on the Circle (usually converts from fundamentalist Protestantism, but not always) who would insist that because St. Clement believed in Phoenixes, we are therefore obliged to believe in them too.
Yes, I have noticed that as well. Many converts from Protestantism have brought their Fundamentalist baggage with them. However, I have also seen very strong anti-science sentiments coming out of the Russian Church to which I belong, and in the Greek Church to a lesser extent. For instance, I was recently told that I *must* believe that St. George fought a fire breathing dragon. Legend says that dragons existed and so we are obliged to believe the same. That sentiment came from a born-Greek Orthodox Christian. I swear, some of our brothers and sisters perplex me, but I love them just the same!! :)
John
Be the first person to like this.