Join us!
OrthodoXCircle - The Orthodox Christian Social Network

I know this word means something like \\"cheers\\" but I\'ve heard different things about it. My grandparents and their family said it all the time at big dinners--\\"Nostrovia!\\" They are Slovak and Hungarian. Someone told me that the expression is Polish. I\'ve found elsewhere that it is used in Russia. Is there a country of origin for this expression? It seems to have gained currency in many countries as \\"ciao\\" has become common all throughout Europe. :grin:
[quote] [b]Kerygma wrote:[/b] Literally, it means \\"to health.\\" It\'s better transliterated as Na zdrovyeh.[/quote] Thanks. I\'ve never seen it spelled out, so I just transcribed it phonetically as best I could.
Whenever we drink with our Russian comrades, we use this word with great joy.
Na zdravuje is the slovak version (since I noticed that you are slovak, not polish)
oops. sorry. Na zdravie! I think it means the same in Polish, however. With parents speaking Slovak, were they immigrants?
[quote] [b]Kristina wrote:[/b] oops. sorry. Na zdravie! I think it means the same in Polish, however. With parents speaking Slovak, were they immigrants?[/quote] My grandparents. My grandfather was born in what is now Slovakia. His parents (my great grandparents) and he moved to the U.S. when he was 2.
Our bishop jocularly pronounces this \\"nice driveways\\" .....LOL
[quote] [b]matdonna wrote:[/b] Our bishop jocularly pronounces this \\"nice driveways\\" .....LOL[/quote] My dad says the same. I wonder where that comes from.