Ryan McGee
I know this word means something like \\"cheers\\" but I\'ve heard different things about it. My grandparents and their family said it all the time at big dinners--\\"Nostrovia!\\" They are Slovak and Hungarian. Someone told me that the expression is Polish. I\'ve found elsewhere that it is used in Russia. Is there a country of origin for this expression? It seems to have gained currency in many countries as \\"ciao\\" has become common all throughout Europe. :grin:
Be the first person to like this.
Ryan McGee
Kerygma wrote:
Literally, it means \"to health.\" It's better transliterated as Na zdrovyeh.
Thanks. I\'ve never seen it spelled out, so I just transcribed it phonetically as best I could.
Paul Barrera
Whenever we drink with our Russian comrades, we use this word with great joy.
Ryan McGee
Sweet deal. :)
Na zdravuje is the slovak version (since I noticed that you are slovak, not polish)
oops. sorry. Na zdravie! I think it means the same in Polish, however. With parents speaking Slovak, were they immigrants?
Ryan McGee
Kristina wrote:
oops. sorry. Na zdravie! I think it means the same in Polish, however. With parents speaking Slovak, were they immigrants?
My grandparents. My grandfather was born in what is now Slovakia. His parents (my great grandparents) and he moved to the U.S. when he was 2.
Donna Farley
Our bishop jocularly pronounces this \\"nice driveways\\" .....LOL
... or \\"Nasty Rover\\" ....
Ryan McGee
matdonna wrote:
Our bishop jocularly pronounces this \"nice driveways\" .....LOL
My dad says the same. I wonder where that comes from.