Viewing Single Post
ryans wrote:
Hello everyone,
In the aftermath of the deadly terrorist acts, this time in India, there are questions being asked about the involvement of persons / groups of a certain faith. Expectedly, there are varied responses with some saying that the particular faith preaches peace whereas others maintain that it instructs hate and elimination of non-believers (infidels). Now, terrorism has become a global cancer of sorts and something that everyone is vulnerable to. Just see how many different people were affected. Many right wing fundamentals would advocate a military response - the effectiveness of which is doubted in the absence of a tangible and perceptible target.Human life seems to have lost its value for these misguided perpetrators.As Orthodox Christians, how are we supposed to face up to this danger?
God bless,
Paulos
First of all, prayer is always the answer; prayer that attacks will be averted and prayer that in the case of attacks we can handle them in a Christian fashion. We cannot act out of hatred.
Let's discuss the religion of Islam. I have not studied Islam, or read any books, but I have had plenty of exposure to it. My experience tells me that most Muslims are indeed peaceful people, but the root of some of the problems is the political power inherent in Muslim clerical positions. Not unlike the power Popes once enjoyed launching crusade after crusade, not just against Muslims but against various protestant denominations. The Catholic Church was not a violent institution, but the power the Pope wielded back then tempted and corrupted some with disastrous consequences. Same for the modern Muslims, an extremist with a desire for violence can become a cleric or utilize a cleric to push his jihad agenda. I don't think that is a reflection of the basic tenents of the Islam faith.
How to fight terrorism? Multiple ways. First, there is a military solution. The military solution is effective in certain circumstances and opportunities. Examples are but not limited too; destroying training facilities, eliminating key leaders or caches, or (like in Afghanistan) overthrowing a government that is permissive to terrorist activities.
But terrorism as a general rule has its roots in poverty. If you examine the demographics of the actual \"trigger pullers\" in terrorist organizations they are usually the same. Young, uneducated, and poor. This includes anything from an IRA member to a mid-east Jihadist. It is very logical. If you have a good chance at a job or education, why would you join a terrorist organization? I don't think people join up to be suicide bombers unless they are severely challenged job and education wise. It is very sad to see the people get taken advantage of, the \"brains\" of terrorists rarely risk their own lives as they send so many to kill and die. So a solution is to improve living conditions, and that is part of the strategy today in Iraq and more so in Afghanistan. Afghanistan especially is very poor and has a very limited infrastructure. A lot of organizations, from the UN and the US military, are focusing on many projects to improve the quality of life, stimulate the economy, and build infrastructure in Afghanistan. Teams of engineers rove the country working on projects, roads are built, schools and clinics are built, etc etc. That is proving to be an effective means of denying the Taliban grassroots support. Of course the Taliban target all of these things on a regular basis.
Terrorism will always be with us. Poverty feeds it and hate drives it. But do not let it cloud you judgement or drive you to hatred.
Last, I will say this. There are many things in this life worth fighting for, some worth dying for. There is nothing in this life worth losing your soul over.
Be the first person to like this.