I haven\'t researched this yet, but my hubby & I are in disagreement over this. He thinks he would not have, but I think he did because the Passover includes meat (doesn\'t it?). :confused: It\'s nothing earth-shattering, but now I\'m curious about it.
Be the first person to like this.
Dear Katherine, Here\'s my take on it:
\\"And He said to them, With desire I desired to eat this Passover with you before My suffering\\" Luk 22:15
Yes. He ate the Passover, which was predominately a lamb. In order to be a good Jew, he was required to partake of (at least) the Passover. Not eating the lamb would have been notably abnormal, and it would be rather odd for Our Lord to have done this without the Gospels ever mentioning it.
Cyprian wrote:Not eating the lamb would have been notably abnormal, and it would be rather odd for Our Lord to have done this without the Gospels ever mentioning it.
Just for clarity:
\'Not eating the lamb would have been notably abnormal, and it would be rather odd for Our Lord to have *ABSTAINED FROM* this without the Gospels ever mentioning it.\\"
Engrish is clazy rangruage. :crazy:
As I said, originally, it\'s nothing earth-shattering (or faith-shaking, if you will), but, if I understand my hubby\'s argument correctly, we are somehow less perfect by eating meat because the ideal is that we shouldn\'t like before the fall. He argues, since Jesus was the perfected Adam, then he would not have eaten meat (he\'s sure he read this somewhere & didn\'t make it up). I figured if he did read it somewhere, someone on here probably knows about it, too. Personally, Danderfluff, I with ya all the way. It will take a lifetime to work out my salvation regardless. Maybe I\'m just secretly afraid he\'ll turn vegan on me. I\'m a carnivore of the 1st order, myself. :)
Even the resurrected Christ ate and he ate meat, or fish: He said to them: \\"Have you anythink here to eat?\\" They gave him a piece of boiled fish, and he took it and ate before them. (Luke 24, 42 43)
Jannis
Katherine you have some very good points made above as to anything specifically said about Jesus or by Himself. But if your discussion is if your husband should or shouldn\'t eat meat (as you are afraid of his becoming a vegan) here are a few passages for you to consider.
Romans 14:1-2
1 Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2 For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables.
Acts 10:9-16
9 The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. 10 Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance 11 and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. 13 And a voice came to him, \\"Rise, Peter; kill and eat.\\" 14 But Peter said, \\"Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.\\" 15 And a voice spoke to him again the second time, \\"What God has cleansed you must not call common.\\" 16 This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again.
Katherinem, the point I\'m trying to convey to you is the thing your husband read is a mentality of moving backwards towards a state closer towards Adam (as he alludes) is wrong (and obviously not Orthodox). Adam and Eve\'s act resulted in a state where our relationship with God was forever broken. We can not go back to that. However we are reunited to God via Christ. That intervening state is gone.
In short, We are very loved, totally accepted, fully pleasing and complete in Christ. Approach your husband the same way, and eat.
Matthew Brown
To make the answer brief:
Jesus participated in the Passover celebration, and ate fish with His disciples. In other words, Yes.
good thing your husband isn\'t in asia, he might have to question whether Christ ate silkworm larvae.
Eeeww!!!!!!!!!
Is that really eaten there, or are you just pulling my leg?
they eat silkworm larvae, snails, dogs, melamine, the works.
silkworm larvae is a natural byproduct of farming and producing silk... and in the post-war years (in Korea) it was one of the few sources of protein people could get.. dog was one of the few sources of animal protein people could get.
it always kind of annoys me how much of a bubble america is... many people take up ridiculous causes in the midst of their luxury to do so... where many places in the rest of the world there are 2 options when it comes to \\"strange\\" food:
1) eat it
2) or starve to death
of course in Korea the situation is not so desperate anymore, but the culinary habits remain.
It\'s true that there is such a cultural \\"bubble\\", and I feel bad for saying it, but moreso with Americans than anyone else.
It\'s often been pondered whether this was due to an educational system that teaches little about anything outside the borders of the US. Maybe that\'s stereotypical, but it\'s something that keeps coming up. For example, Canada is the US\'s largest trading partner, yet the average American seems to know remarkably little about us. Without using Google, can many Americans determine how many provinces and territories we have? What are our national colours? What is (or are) our national anthems? Who is our Head of State?
But, to bring it back to food, as an alternative to starving, even Americans (and Canadians) ate some stuff during the \'30s that most might find disturbing. My mother used to tell me of how, when she was a child, a slice of bread with lard spread on it was often supper.
Most of us now probably can\'t stand the thought. But, if you get hungry enough...
Cyprian wrote:
For example, Canada is the US's largest trading partner, yet the average American seems to know remarkably little about us.
Isn\'t Canada like by Siberia or Hawaii or something? :confused:
Haha, just kidding, just kidding... you make a good point though.
Cyprian, right on.
Plain and simple, americans these days are spoiled. Pointing the finger at myself as much as others.
there\'s a soup in korea called \\"budae-jjigae\\".. it\'s like ramen noodles, spam, hot-dogs, assorted veggies, etc, and very spicy. It originated from the days after the war, when there was no food - people would scavenge the garbage of the US army bases to get whatever scraps they could to make hodge-podge soups, and make it so spicy that you couldn\'t taste the reality of the literal garbage that was in it.
every time westerners talk about being humane to animals, I think about things like budae-jjigae and bundaegi (silkworm larvae).. or think about china, and the amount of wildlife (not to mention HUMAN life) they endanger and kill for the sake of progress
Nikola wrote:
Isn't Canada like by Siberia or Hawaii or something? :confused:
Haha, just kidding, just kidding... you make a good point though.
I\'m from British Columbia. When I travel in the States and tell people where I\'m from, there\'s always a few that seem to be trying to figure out if I\'m European, or from South America. :D
LOL! Canada.. Columbia... what\'s difference.. haha