Dear friends, Did the Church Fathers speak with one voice on contraception? Did they address the issue at all? Did any local Church Councils deal with the issue? Was it ever even mentioned in one of the Seven Most Holy Councils (Ecumenical)?
Just wondering.
Be the first person to like this.
Ioannis Saratsidis
I am not personally aware of any discussions or teachings of the sort, but the Orthodox Church in America did field the question in the following Q&A article (answered by Fr. John Matusiak) which I have quoted for everyone below:
http://www.oca.org/QA.asp?ID=147&SID=3
\"The control of the conception of a child by any means is also condemned by the Church if it means the lack of fulfillment in the family, the hatred of children, the fear of responsibility, the desire for sexual pleasure as purely fleshly, lustful satisfaction, etc.
Again, however, married people practicing birth control are not necessarily deprived of Holy Communion, if in conscience before God and with the blessing of their spiritual father, they are convinced that their motives are not entirely unworthy. Here again, however, such a couple cannot pretend to justify themselves in the light of the absolute perfection of the Kingdom of God.\"
Thomas B
Like (2)
Elizabeth D.
The patristic referennces from the early church are consistently against birth control and even nfp practices. And this is gennerally true too from writings by modern ascetics on the subject. In the modern Church, however, because of a greater level of human weakness today, there is more economia though many Orthodox are unaware that some of the most popular forms of birth control are also include abortifacient properties. There was a good website on the subject which I am having trouble finding. Some years ago, the Holy Synod of the OCA also wrote a really nice encyclical on the subject. Later, if I can find links, I will post them.
Like (1)
Fr. Ninos Oshaana

That's hillarious.