I think a part of the practical side, the \\"nuts and bolts\\" of it is centered around detaching as you say from this world. Not that you physically leave it or isolate yourself from others, but that you begin to change your priorities a bit.
The world is represented by physical and material possesions. Who makes more money, who lives in the nicest house, who drives the fastest car, who has the smartest, most well accomplished children? All these things are used to set a value on our lives, but they are the things of this world that as an Orthodox Christian we begin to detach from.
As Orthodox, we see value much dfferently and we strive to build up our spiritual strength through ascetic labors. We turn away from pursuing the things of this world and instead try to divest ourselves of them. We give to the poor, we strive to live with less material possesions instead of more, we eat less, we seek entertainment less (and pray / worship more). Our attention is cast upward into heaven instead of outwark into the world.
Anyway, this is the work we are called to. The result of this work is that we are drawn closer to God and communion with Him. It is hard work, like training for and running in a marathon. Some days , we are able to run, others we are only able to crawl along the path.
I don\'t think finding balance is the best thing to strive for, maybe better to strive for peace, consolation and stregth in the struggle. As matdonna has said, this is where the feasts come in to help us. Embracing the parish community has helped me as well.
The Bible tells us that we cannot serve two masters (God and Mammon - which is money or the pursuits of the world). Trying to balance the two is folly. We conquer the one to attain to the other.
Somsoc mentioned being Orthodox 7 days a week. I agree. I don\'t think any of us can be 100% perfect in this journey all the time. But we can strive always to be mindful of what the proper priorities are and work to build lives that reflect our heavenly values rather then earthly / worldly ones.
I am not personally very sucessful at this. But I do try. If any balance is found for me it is in knowing that I am working diligently and that the Lord is always pleased with my righteous efforts and forgiving of my shortcomings and failures.
AnnaC
Be the first person to like this.