it is a bit of a poll but I am looking for more in depth answers than a poll might give...
My question is what exactly are the terms of being cradle Orthodox vs a Convert? Is it a child before the age of 7 being baptised into the Church? Is it a person whose family is Orthodox, even if they couldn\'t become baptised for some reason or another? Can a person be cradle when their parents convert when the child is still at a young age? Or, is there a \"right\" answer? Anyway, much appreciation in advance. In Christ, Xenia
Be the first person to like this.
Rev Fr Athanasios Haros
Cradel normally refers to being born into the Faith, thus the term cradle.
My question really pertains to me...I was 3 when baptised, grew up Orthodox and do not find as much common ground with converts as I do with cradle. I am from a convert family and technically my brother is the only \"true\" cradle by that definition, since my mom and sister\'s and I were baptised together (younger sis being only 6 mos., but not \"born\" into it). There are many \"cradle families\" who do not baptise until children are older and also some who baptise because it is the thing to do, so to speak, not because those children will be raised in the Faith daily. So, I guess I am wondering where that leaves me...I am neither \"here nor there\" it seems. It isn\'t that it matters that much, but I am assuming I am not the only one.
Rev Fr Athanasios Haros
Of course, even those of us born into the Church must become converts when we \"take the faith for our own\" rather than just through genetics. I would say, when people ask you, tell them the truth.... \"I was baptized......etc\" There is more commonalities than you might think between \'cradle\' and \'converts\' as many \'cradle\' Orthodox have a conversion moment when they take ownership of their faith.
I would have to say I am looking for the quick answer to tell people, because I always seem to get into the thick of it anyway. (Talking is one of my struggles, I seem to have a knack for it). That isn\'t necessarily a bad thing, but I think I was also just curious if there was some other way to describe it, or if I \"fit\" into one or the other because I never gave it much thought before...I guess I am just a \"cradle convert\" and that works for me. In the cradle I was converted and born into the Orthodox Faith...The End, or should I say, The Beginning
thanks!-Xenia
Dax Stokes
Xenia,
I have a similar, yet different situation. I have always considered myself both. My mother\'s family is Russian/Ukrainian/German. PArt of the family is Orthodox, part Catholic. She was batpized into a Byz. Catholic Ukrainian parish, but raised in the RCC. My dad is from a Baptist family, but I was never baptized nor did we attend a church. When I was 9, I was baptized and my mom chrismated in the GOA. So, as far as I can remember basically, I have been Orthodox, but technically we are converts, I guess. With my family background though, and having only been baptized once, I consider myself both cradle and convert. My daughter is cradle though.
Subdn. Anthony
John Chan
I was born into the faith at age 41.
Call me a Cravert.
I like the Cravert concept.
In a sense, we are all cradle Orthodox. The cradle in Bethlehem, that is. That, I think, is the way we need to approach it. We are all the same in God\'s eyes no matter when we came into the faith, whether at age 6 months or age 60 years.