This account has been removed.
Be the first person to like this.
Correction. I meant to say that \"the enemies of the USA hate us because THEY hate us\", not \"they hate us because we hate us\". I MISS-TYPED WHAT I MEAN TO SAY. They hate us because they WANT TO hate us, not because we hate ourselves. Only some misinformed people blame everything on the USA, even as some equally misinformed people idolatrize and worshipize the USA as if it were a kingdom of God, let alone the kingdom of God or some utopian Christian paradise or \"theocracy\". It is swifly becoming a theocratic fascist-like Evangelical fundamentalist pre-tribulation Rapture Protestant Zionist theocracy here in the USA. Go figure.
Considering that the Church has survived both militant Islam in the form of the Ottoman Empire in the past, and in the present by Islamic Jihad, plus it has survived the militant atheism of Communism, I would agree. But I would exercise caution when reading Bulgakov. Many of his teachings, especially concerning the Theotokos, could probably if not definitely be called heretical or at least bordering on it.
Didn\'t Fr. Bulgakov border on Romanism in his view of the Blessed Theotokos, virtually positing a fourth person (Divine Wisdom-Sophia) in God? It is good, however, that he recanted this, if this was his error.
I know I need to recant whatever error of thought I have had, as sometimes I have a thought in my mind which I know is heretical, which I don\'t intend to believe in, but even so, the thought is there and I don\'t like it. Sometimes one has a thought about a saint that borders on idolatry, which is an enemy of true faith. There are only Three Persons in One God and only One God.
Spyridon, you\'re crossing a line when you say that there\'s no heresy in non-Chalcedonians. You don\'t have the authority to overrule the Church or Church fathers.
ReaderJohn wrote:
Spyridon, you're crossing a line when you say that there's no heresy in non-Chalcedonians. You don't have the authority to overrule the Church or Church fathers.
At the moment conversations between Chalcedonians and non-Chalcedonians have determined that much of the difference in doctrine was incorrectly perceived. Those who have been meeting see that doctrinally the two groups are very close. The line between the two groups, while still there, seems to be getting blurred.
However, I don\'t have a citation for this. Does anyone have any joint statements from these discussions?
ISTM since most of the prpblems in false doctrine stem now from the deficiencies in the philosophy of Augustine of Hippo, it does truly seem that most of the problems between the non-Chalcedonians and the Chalcedonians have been resolved. What is for sure is the Chalcedonian formula is correct; but that St. Cyril of Alexandria\'s mia-physite terminology has never been declared heretical. The non-Chalcedonians follow St. Cyril\'s teaching; most of them today do not follow the outright Monophysitism which has been correctly condemned by the Church. So, to be fair, the people today should not be lumped together with the past Monophysites who have been seen as not part of the Church.
At any rase, the difference between the two groups is apparently truly growing smaller, to the point where there really is no difference, as far as can be known. It seems to be more a difference of language and terminology than of doctrinal substance.
Anyway, eventually, for those who don\'t yet know the whole truth about this, issue, the whole truth will be known; God will reveal the truth at some point to those who are ready to receive the truth.
We need to love all people, Chalcedonian and non-Chalcedonian alike.
STM since most of the prpblems in false doctrine stem now from the deficiencies in the philosophy of Augustine of Hippo, it does truly seem that most of the problems between the non-Chalcedonians and the Chalcedonians have been resolved.
Forgive me, this is a great example of non sequitur. The Blessed Augustine\'s deficiencies (real or perceived) had absolutely no bearing on the diphysite/monophysite debate. Neither can it be said that ALL theologial false doctrines stem from St. Augustine. There are plenty of pre-Augustinian heresies floating around, to this day.
Dear CHALCEDONIAN good friends,
No, that is correct. What I meant is that
the most serious REMAINING HERESIES come
from FILIOQUE and therefore from
AUGUSTINE. No one has explained why the
Armenians, Ethiopians, Copts, Syrians,
Indians, today, are still in error. Or shown
that they are STILL in error. Are they?
If they are, I hope the come out of error.
If they are not, I hope they are
exhonerated. If they are incorrect, if
someone Orthodox explains us to us laymen
gently, and with charity, we would
appreciate it. These good people are
trying to avoid Nestorianism, ISTM. ISTM,
too, they are MISTAKEN in supposing that
Chalcedon is NESTORIAN. At least some of
these Oriental Christians USED to believe
this; PERHAPS TODAY no Oriental Christian
believes that CHALCEDON is Nestorian.
They should be presumed innocent until
someone who has the Spirit of God can
point out the errors for us. At least, I\'m
sure my moral error is more of a problem
(at least for me), than some of this. I\'m not
supporting them if they are wrong; it\'s just
that I think immorality is something I\'ve had
more problem with than false doctrine. I
usually when I was growing up non-
Orthodox had very few false teachings I
actually BELIEVED. For a while, I did fall for
the dispensationalist error, but I was
corrected from this by Reformed Christians
whose eschatology (amillennial) is closer to
the Orthodox faith. I used to say FILIOQUE
in Lutheran \"church\", NOT KNOWING ANY
BETTER. If these people DO NOT KNOW
ANY BETTER about wrongly rejecting
CHALCEDON, will someone please PRAY FOR
THEM, that they, too, may SEE THE LIGHT
ON THIS MATTER. MAY WE ALL SEE
(BELIEVE) THE LIGHT THAT GOD GIVES US BY
HIS GRACE AND MERCY.
GOD SAVE ALL OF US FROM
MONOPHYSITISM, TOO. AND ANY
MONOPHYSITES WHO ARE STILL THAT WAY,
GOD CORRECT THEM FROM BELIEVING FALSE
VIEWS ON CHRISTOLOGY.
AMEN.
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
ALWAYS, SCOTT HARRINGTON ERIE
PENNSYLVANIA USA
Well, it might be the case with Greece today, looking only at statistics. But it hasn\'t been true at all times in all places where Orthodoxy has been the official, state religion.