I recently read on OC about being \"True Orthodox.\" What does this mean?
Be the first person to like this.
[This message has been removed by the moderator]
[This message has been removed by the moderator]
I think Vitali may have been making an ironical statement due to the --- =) --- mark at the end of his post.
Or is it because these men are mentioned in his Blog?
...Which if I read it correctly meant irony. But I am not sure. :) My brain can\'t handle more than 10 lines of information. Too much house work to do.
Paul Barrera
Posts removed due to slander. \"Ecumenist\" is a slanderous term in Orthodox Christianity, therefore these posts were in violation of the following term of OC:
OrthodoXCircle is not a place to post your personal opinions, disagreements or prejudices about the Holy Orthodox Faith, its history, theology, doctrine, sacraments, moral beliefs, and traditions, its Patriarchs, Hierarchs, Bishops, Monks, Priests, and Laity, its Churches, Jurisdictions and Monastic communities. Posting any content, links, polls, forum posts, private messages that violates this rule of conduct will result in account termination. Offensive or divisive behavior, comments, posts, graphics will also result in account termination.
OrthodoXCircle is not a place for Church politics nor a place to sow discord among canonical vs. non-canonical members.
authio wrote:
Posts removed due to slander. "Ecumenist" is a slanderous term in Orthodox Christianity, therefore these posts were in violation of the following term of OC
Paul, I don\'t disagree with your decision to remove those posts, but I do want to address your statement that \"ecumenist is a slanderous term in Orthodox Christianity.\"
The simple word \"ecumenist\" is by no means slanderous in Orthodoxy. Wikipedia defines \"ecumenism\" as \"initiatives aimed at greater religious unity or cooperation.\" Many Orthodox Christian leaders happily accept being called \"ecumenists,\" and refer to themselves as such. It is only an insult among some people, when used in a particular manner. In these cases, \"ecumenist\" carries with it an accusation of \"panheresy,\" which is obviously a serious charge.
Really, a better justification for the removal of the posts would have been \"divisive behavior,\" a phrase which appears in the OC policy which you quoted. Anyway, my point is just that the mere word \"ecumenist\" is rather neutral. It is insulting only to the degree that the user of the word intends it to be.
John Chan
ok - back to the question...
What is \"True Orthodoxy\"?
I think the hang-up happens because of the capital T and capital O in the words. If we were not necessarily discussing our belief system, and just using the word \"orthodox\" to mean \"accepted, standard, time-tested and proven\" maybe the discussion wouldn\'t start off on the wrong foot.
So - something that is unorthodox can be innovative and lead to remarkable breakthroughs. Einstein was unorthodox in his approach to Newtonian physics. Kurt Thomas was unorthodox in his incredible maneuovers on the pommel horse. Dr Blalock was unorthodox in his approach to surgery and discoverd that open heart surgery was possible. It\'s something good.
On the other hand, being unorthodox might cross the line where words like \"maverick\", \"renegade\", \"headstrong stubbornness\" come to mind. Dr Kevorkian was unorthodox in his regard for human life and dignity.
Is it possible to discuss \"True Orthodoxy\" regarding our beliefs? I think we would need to find the heart of what we believe, and strip away all cultural influences and nuances that have crept into the way we express our faith. Perhaps that is possible, but is it profitable? It would probably be distasteful to most people as we get into the same old \"(T/t)radition\" discussions.
So - here is my proposal to continue this discussion in a positive manner: How would you express the crux of your belief to someone who wants to know?
I fall back onto Micah 6:8
He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of thee but to do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God?
It\'s ironic that you used the word \"crux\"--Latin for cross. That is the \"crux\" of our belief! But it also includes how that belief was manifested by the earliest Christians unbroken to the present. The laying on of hands at Ordination doesn\'t just pass on a hierarchial lineage going back to the Apostles and to Christ, it also reflects an assurance of doctrinal purity unbroken to the beginning. Isn\'t that what \"Orthodox\" means? \"Orthos doxa\"--\"right belief\" or \"right worship\" or \"right glory\". That is true Orthodoxy, the assurance by the laying on of hands that \"we have seen the True Light, we have received the Heavenly Sprit, we have found the True Faith, by worshipping the Undivided Trinity, for they have saved us.\"