Viewing Single Post
Robotom, I just don\'t know if I am that uncomfortable with Western thought, and this sort of goes to MariaM\'s thoughts. It seems to me as I think about it that I still find a lot to admire in a sort of strict legalism. Perhaps this will correct as both of you say.
This raises a new, perhaps more esoteric concern for me. A lot of my path to the Eastern way has been paved through my own logical thinking about issues of faith and my conception of Christianity as I read about it in the New Testament. I have not, yet had a personal, heart felt sort of experience with God that is so emphasized in Orthodoxy as yet. Does this put my position as a person seeking to join the church in a dire position I did not know about? Is my Orthodox interest considered less valid than it would be if I had arrived in the heartfelt way you guys are talking about?
It seems like I have ironically come to Orthodoxy by way of means that were built up by the Western way of looking at the world. Maybe I am wrong in this, maybe it only seems that way because I am disregarding some deeper connection that I feel but am not aware of, however I am not sure that is the case.
Thank you for the answer Promise. You seem like you have thought quite a lot about the problem. I hope you don\'t mind if I ask a question of it. Are you saying that all of Rome\'s actions since the split have been a progress away from the true faith of Christianity? I do agree with you on a lot of points. Firstly I do not think Byzantium was brought low by Christianity, though historians like Gibbons disagree with that assessment. Also I do think a lot of Eastern progress was stifled after the fall of the empire at the hands of the Turks.
The only real problem I have is that if your answer is correct, and I will have to give it more thought, I am still in the same position. That is that with my being drawn to the East I am abandoning a big chunk of my Western European heritage which is hard even if it does lead to true Christianity. This is not a road block but something I do think about.
Be the first person to like this.