Andrea Scimonelli
I have asked several of the higher-ups about this, but still have not gotten a response. All I ask is this simple question... Is it wrong to have feelings for my godmother\'s brother? Along the same lines, am I allowed to act on these feelings? I have had a massive crush on him from the moment I met him. Is there some church \\"law\\" that says this is forbidden territory? Would it be like having feelings for someone in my biological family? He\'s only 4 or 5 years older than me. In a nutshell, all I want to know is if I am allowed to pursue a relationship with my godmother\'s brother. Any and all constructive ideas will be appreciated.
Be the first person to like this.
You godparents are considered to be as closely related to you as a blood relation, but that relationship doesn\'t extend to their relatives. So you only have to worry about your relationship with your godparents and their godchildren and the parents of your godchildren.
from http://www.goarch.org/archdiocese/departments/outreach/resources/pastoralresources/pastoral
Prohibited Marriages
The following types of relationships constitute impediments to marriage:
* Parents with their own children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren, or godchildren of the same godparents.
*Brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law.
*Uncles and aunts with nieces and nephews.
*First cousins with each other.
*Foster parents with foster children or foster children with the children of foster parents.
*Godparents with godchildren or godparents with the parents of their godchildren.
I don\'t think this is a problem although perhaps a bit awkward.
Jenn Rademacher
my understanding is that our own Godparents and their children are like blood relations. In my case I have a sponsor (since I am grown) and that sponsor\'s children and my children should not engage in a romantic relationship. My sponsor\'s siblings or my siblings are not considered in the same way.
I would think that if this fellas feelings toward you are not mutual, it is a mute point... but if the feelings are mutual, then seeking/receiving the blessing of your Preist and your Godparents, would be the next step???
Hope the best for you.
John Chan
it is a mute point
*moot*
sorry, I couldn\'t keep mute. :grin:
Jenn Rademacher
oops, :-) thanks johnchan
John Chan
What kinda confusing advice is that??
Chemicals are not feelings. Chemicals are predictable and behave the way they\'re expected to. Explosions are avoidable because the properties of chemicals are knowable. Feelings are not so easily controlled, and not even always so easily identified - let alone being able to control an environment to such an extent that a particular emotion can be either intensified or lessened.
I think it would be better to reserve our assumptions of WHY someone asks a question and stick to answering the question instead.