Join us!
OrthodoXCircle - The Orthodox Christian Social Network

How do you pick your Patron Saint? Can you pick from any Saint in history? My first name\'s James. If I were to become Orthodox would I get a new name, or stick with that one, since it\'s the name of a Saint?
My patron saint choose me, or better, God choose him for me. I saw his icon and immidetely \\"fell in love\\", after reading about his life I knew: I wanted him to be my patron saint. Since you aleady bear a saints name, you can \\"stick with that one\\". Or you pick the saints who is celebrated the day you are received in the Church, or a saint, you particularly feel obliged to. Jannis
If you already bear the name of a saint, I would consider that a gift from God. It is better to have the same name for all purposes, sacred and secular.
MariaM
You can keep your name James and go with a saint who has your same name. I like to read the story of the saint and pick the one I feel a connection too. Good luck How do you pick your Patron Saint? Can you pick from any Saint in history? My first name\'s James. If I were to become Orthodox would I get a new name, or stick with that one, since it\'s the name of a Saint?[/quote]