Be the first person to like this.
Very beautiful! Wish there was an english translation. Can you tell me in english what the hymn is?
I clicked on a link there and the hymn that came up I know in english. Good stuff.
It is just a short part from the Akathist of Saint Mary, The Theotokos, in the end of it and translated to english it will mean something like:
\"speechless be the the lips of the unbelievers who do not reverence your icon, which has been depicted by the Apostle Luke and which is known as Hodighitria(Directress)\" ( odigos, gr,= guidance)
The text of the hymn in greek is:Alala ta heili ton asevon, ton mi proskinounton tin ikona sou, tin septin, tin istoriteisan ipo tou aposto lou Louka ierotatou, tin Hodighitrian\".
The text is more profound, because the word \"alala= speachless, has also the meaninig of \",craziness, furor\" and the word \"heili\" means actually \"mind, brain\" beside \"mouth or lips\" and it may also refer to how does work the unbelievers and pagans minds: they loose the way, they got the mind shaded and they can not see the real sense and the piety of life in Christ.
The Church Tradition says that this kind of Icon-Hodighitria- was painted for the first time by St.Ap.Luke while St. Mary was in Efes under the carefulness of St. Ap John. It was painted on a piece of wood from a table built by St. Joseph and which table St. Mary took it in Efes. St. Ap Luke sent it to Antiochia to Teophil, the one who is mentioned in Luke chapter 1. After Teophil has died it was sent to Jerusalem where Tradition says that was descovered By St. Helen the Empress, around the year 300 and that she brought it to Constantinpole, to Hodegan monastery.From here it was taken to Rome, where pope Gregoire the Great ( St.Gregoire the Great) placed it in St. Peter Church.( VI-st century).
In this kind of icon, the Holy Mother is represented holding her Son in her left hand, pointing with the right hand to Him, meaning that he is the Son of God, the true God and also that the only way is Jesus Christ. The Holly Child is represented with an adult face, meaninig the wholeness maturity of His divine nature.
The \"Gkikofiloussa\" Icon( the sweet loving Mother) is also refered to St Ap Luke.