This is not strictly Orthodox music, but generally I find Celtic music to be similar to Orthodoxy in spirit at least. The Irish at one time were Orthodox, and Celtic Christianity has often or many times been independent of Latin-papal influence in its liturgical, calendar customs in the West.
Anyway, have you heard Loreena McKennitt\'s cd and dvd boxed set, \"Nights from the Alhambra\"? \"Dante\'s Prayer\" is pretty good song.
Take care.
The \"Mummer\'s Dance\" song is odd but interesting.
:grin:
Be the first person to like this.
We love Loreena McKennit. Some of her stuff gets a bit over the top, I must admit, but my husband and I have several-times-removed celtic roots and we both really enjoy her along with other groups that have a little of the celtic folk music blended in like Pentangle and Fairport Convention.
Macrina
I think that Loreena is a great artist.....her music is speaking an universal language of the heart ....I can recommend her music to every gentle soul :-)
Alexandra
Ana Hudici
I also like Loreena McKenitt. The dark night of the soul is another beautiful song of hers.
In Christ,
Ana
Donna Farley
My husband listens to Loreena McKennitt all the time while working on his Bible commentaries....:-)
Loreena\'s music has been with me since I was a teen, and has helped me to keep seeking higher. It can be a great bridge between the secular world and something more intangible. It was a constant through all my spiritual seeking, and I\'m glad I still have it in my life. As for \\"The Mummers\' Dance\\", I feel it\'s a perfect description of the celtic/saxon journey from pagan celebrations of Spring to celebrations such as St. George\'s Day and other traditionally British Orthodox festivals. The boxed set is fabulous, as are all of her other albums.
Yngh Hrist,
Sara-Melangell
Gordie Thomas
sarahillis wrote:
...it (Loreena's music) can be a great bridge between the secular world and something more intangible....As for \"The Mummers' Dance\", I feel it's a perfect description of the celtic/saxon journey from pagan celebrations of Spring to celebrations such as St. George's Day and other traditionally British Orthodox festivals...Yngh Hrist, Sara-Melangell
A very interesting documentary I first saw on A&E in 1994 (just after I had visited Ireland) is on point to your comment.
The two part VHS show is called \\"Behind The Veil: Nuns\\" (1984) and explores the role of women within Ireland since the time that Christianity was first introduced in Ireland. (it was the second time, but that\'s another story).
Be informed: this is presented from a \\"feminist Catholic\\" point of view. Not being pejorative, just seeking an honest description.
In my case, seeing the documentary happened at a very pivotal time in my life when I was fighting my protestant tar-baby.
Though it took me in a totally different path initially, I\'d say it\'s likely I would never have searched and found Orthodoxy as I did, had I not seen this movie, for it was this movie which first started me to look at The Mother of God in a different light.
It was the first opening of my eyes to the possibility that there really was something mystical about Christianity.
When I finally read [url=http://www.sainthermanpress.com/catalog/chapter_three/Tao_book.htm]Christ The Eternal Tao[/url] I was able to make some sense of the mystery, and to be at peace with that which continues to be transcendent.
Here is the best link I could find:
[url=http://www.facets.org/asticat?function=buyitem&catname=facets&catnum=/5800]Behind the Veil: Nuns[/url]
Oh, and that was also very close to the time I discovered Loreena McKennitt, and though I haven\'t listened to her in a while, I get WAY more spiritually inspired by her sound than I do by almost everything I used to listen to as a protestant (CCM).
Gordie
Hi Gordie:
I know exactly what you mean about the feminist Catholic perspective. Haven\'t seen that documentary, but I\'ve seen similar ones on Dame Julian of Norwitch and Hildagard of Bingen and such. I\'ll see if I can find this one. Is Matthew Fox in it, do you recall? He seems to be in every feminist documentary about medieval Christianity and even some about medieval pagan-type stuff.
I myself was a Christian (though unbaptized) when I encountered Loreena\'s music, then later I became a pagan and a witch, and finally, by the prayers of our Most Holy Theotokos I\'m sure, I was able to come to Orthodoxy. I know what you mean about the mysticism of The Theotokos and discovering that.
God bless,
Sara-Melangell
Gordie Thomas
Hi Sara-Melangell,
We have some very similar experiences In coming to the appreciation that The Mother of God was praying for us long before we became inquirers. Mothers don\'t wait to be asked to pray, they simply pray in response to a need.
In Christ,
Gordie