dmitri mosier
Anyone know where one could get Orthodox-related ringtones for cell phones? I think it would be an interesting ice-breaker if our phones could play \"Rejoice, O Bethany\" or Stychericic tone 6 (Russian OR Byzantine!), etc. with incoming calls.
Be the first person to like this.
I\'m still trying to find some \\"oldies but goodies\\" ringtones for mine. They are so expensive though. Oh well... :)
how about just the \\"tock tock tock\\" sound when they hit the wood with the hammer at the monasteries? kind of less demeaning to the church\'s holy music.
John Chan
robotom wrote:
how about just the \"tock tock tock\" sound when they hit the wood with the hammer at the monasteries? kind of less demeaning to the church's holy music.
That\'s what Fr Cyprian suggested :grin:
Cyprian wrote:
Or the sound of a semantron?
(when I first read it, I thought a semantron was something from \\"Transformers\\")
I suppose you could consider the semantron (or talanton) a \\"transformer\\" since it calls us to church and prayer... which transforms us! har, har, har...
My cell phone personally sings \\"Brown Eyed Girl\\" from Van Morrison.
But monastic bell ringing would be an option for me if I knew how to download a song to my cell. (That being cell phone and not monastic cell, since I am not a monastic. Just trying to keep the terminology straight.)
But, my body is made up of many cells,.. I\'ve just got the old fashioned \\"ring\\" sound on mine. Oh, for the days when phones had cords and you had to use envelopes and stamps to send mail...
I set my phone to just light up the screen - since my new phone number gets a ridiculous amount of unknown callers (I think the number was previously used on some advertising or something)... even on vibrate it was too much inconvenience (especially as a teacher) considering it rings at least 30 times a day.... if I didn\'t have that burden I\'d put something from the folk music I enjoy... church is church - what\'s not in church is in my words deeds and actions - not tootling out of my cell phone
plus it would be kind of bad if you associated church hymns with \\"ah dangit! why am I always being disturbed!?!?\\"
John Chan
Cyprian wrote: But, my body is made up of many cells,..
True, but your body is made up of many MONASTIC cells.
Paul Barrera
ha ha ha!
This thread helped me meet my need for my daily bread - CORN bread, that is! The last couple posts were so corny and I just eat it up!
dmitri mosier
maybe a church music ringtone would help curb the passion of losing one\'s temper (however mildly) when being rung up yet one more time?
;)
John Chan
Didn\'t I see a movie a long time ago called \\"Semantron Vs Talanton\\"?
Or maybe not.
My hubby just put monastery bells as his ringtone.
We bought a CD of the Nuns at Saint Paisius Monastery. The CD begins and ends with the monastery bells. After our visit to the monastery last week, I made a ringtone of the bells for my phone. My family is glad. My old ringtone was of orcas singing.
Cyprian wrote:
Or the sound of a semantron?
I think that would be nice. I use Tracphone, so I can not have independent ringtones.
Dave
A Russian friend of mine that studies English with me (I\'m a teacher) has a ringtone for her daughter that starts with a pop Russian tune \\"mamochka\\" (mommy!). It\'s funny every time when we\'re in a lesson and her daughter calls (who attends my kid group lessons). (MA-much-KUH...)
If you can use/convert MIDI files as ringtones on your phone, there are some nice (and small) files at http://www.theologian.org/choir.html - the web site of St John the Theologian Church (Antiochian) in San Juan Capistrano, CA