Viewing Single Post
Your post made me think of something. So before Lent there is a week were we are not allowed to fast! But why is this? Why would the church tell us this?
That fast free week is right around (I believe) the Publican and the Pharisee. From what I have heard/read, it is there to remind us (before our upcoming spiritual trek through Lent) that we should watch ourselves from becoming spiritual Pharisees!
There is also Bright week right after Pascha, and really the Feast right after the Pascha service, were we are called to rejoice in God\'s blessings to us! This of course doesn\'t mean that we should lose where we have gained from our Lenten expirence or become little pigs, or lazy in our readings or prayer. But it does mean that we should be obedient even in the \\"feastings and rejoicings\\" of the church because they also are there for good reason....to keep us in check from becoming spiritually prideful, despondant and so on. (And note: that any extra spiritual work should be approved by your priest, to make sure that none of us fall into blinded spiritual pride.) Everything in the church is done for our benefit, thank God for His Blessings!
God Bless!
Be the first person to like this.