Rev Fr Athanasios Haros
Kerygma wrote:
FrAthanasios wrote:
Warning....trick quesiton follows...
Would you consider it a sin to not fast?
No, it's not a sin. My concern is that we spend too much time talking about it rather than doing it... quietly and before the Lord. We need to follow the counsel of our spiritual fathers and/or priests. But a sin... no.
I couldn\'t agree more!!!!!!! Fasting IS an Orthodox discipline, but I fear too many see it as a \"law\" similar to the OT dietary laws and assign \"salvation value\" to the ACT of fasting. I hear too many people talking about we \'must\' fast etc. as if fasting will save us. On the contrary, I believe fasting is about controling our passions so we can \'be more like Christ\' as passionless (greed etc) and fasting is PART of that struggle. But to be clear, I could eat a porterhouse steak every day, even during Holy Week, and not be sinning. Of course if I do that, I am risking some other sinful attitudes etc such as pride, which is extactly the essence I\'m trying to convey. I doubt I\'m conveying very clearly. This is really a subject that makes more sense face to face.
I fully expect to be labled a variety of names after this post....but study Romans before accusing me of anything....
Be the first person to like this.