Especially with the Dormition Fast coming up, what do those of you who keep the strict fast normally eat? Just curious. Any favorites?
Be the first person to like this.
Fast fast soup:
Two cans black beans
Two cans chopped tomatoes
Two cans corn
Heat, eat, freeze left-overs:^)
Paul Barrera
Tortillas, avocado, black beans, and other vegetables to your belly\'s content.
1. Taco Bell\'s Bean Burrittos with no cheese.
2. Spaghetti or other Pastas with Marinara Sauce w/Brocolli or Green Beans
3. Apples & other fruits
4. Rice with Stir-fry veggies
5. Celery & other vegtables
6. Shrimp Stir-fry type dishes
7. Shrimp w/pasta type dishes
8. Nuts (Pine-nuts are the most delicious)
9. PB&J
10. Granola type bars
11. Plain baked potatoes with Bacos (Bacon Bits without any actual meat or meat products in them at all!) &/or BBQ Sauce - looks weird, but tastes great
12. Frozen juice - like a slushy
Keep in mind that it\'s not just during long fasting periods, but also every Wednesday & Friday as well when we Orthodox are required to keep the fast. I only give this reminder, because I sometimes forget until after I\'ve had a meal on a Wed or Fri. I\'m striving towards perfection!
Demetrios Galanidis
lots of lentil soup
pounds of peanut butter w equivalent weight in jellies and jams.
salads
pastas
fruits
in other words, the \"usual\" but bearing in mind \'simple foods, simply prepared\'.
Hazelrah wrote:
Fast fast soup:
Two cans black beans
Two cans corn
Just tried this and the kids loved it...so did hubby.
Thanks for the recipe
Just another question:
When the calendar states \"No Wine or Oil\" as well, does anyone know which oils this implies? I wasn\'t sure whether or not this meant all oils coming from animal fat, or whether it included just ALL oils.
Thanks.
Demetrios Galanidis
Originally, olive oil - that being the only oil used \"back when\". Now? I don\'t know about other vegetable oils.
I know I\'m weird, but I love tofu. I cook it \"Greek style\" by cubing it and baking in a pan with oil, garlic, onion, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. It\'s really good with canned chick peas which get a nutty, caramelized flavor, together with other vegetables like carrots and potatoes and even string beans. I bake it at about 450 until caramalized, about 30 minutes, stirring every so often so stuff doesn\'t stick. One might be able to leave out the oil, but I haven\'t tried this yet.
Barbecued lentils is another favorite. Or lentils and rice, seasoned like the Greek tofu. (I like Greek food.)
I also order Chinese food and ask to replace the chicken with tofu--like General Tso\'s Tofu. Mmmmm.
dmitri mosier
I go for lots of soup (2 cans of chickpeas with as many veggies as you can fit in the pot, and a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes with various flavorings for those who aren\'t familiar with it)) and \"bean mash\" spread on bread as a sandwich (just a can of beans mashed with enough to tomato paste, and minced onion to take the \"canned\" taste out of \'em), fruit, cereal with almond milk and lots of salads.
Kristina
We eat all of the above, and a new favorite:
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained, with fresh diced tomato, diced red bell pepper, green onions, cucumber, other fresh veggies. Add tons of dill, salt, pepper, a dash of garlic and onion powder, vinegar of your choice and canola oil for a dressing.
orthohawk wrote:
I go for lots of soup (2 cans of chickpeas with as many veggies as you can fit in the pot, and a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes with various flavorings for those who aren't familiar with it)) and "bean mash" spread on bread as a sandwich (just a can of beans mashed with enough to tomato paste, and minced onion to take the "canned" taste out of 'em), fruit, cereal with almond milk and lots of salads.
where do you find the Almond Milk (like a Whole Foods/Trader Joe\'s type place)? It sounds like an interesting alternative.
As for the question about oil, strictly speaking, I apply it to all oils--no oil at all on those days. I think it is one of those elusive things where you\'ll never get the same answer twice, though.
Our new favorite lenten salad (for oil days):
1 and1/4 water
1c raisins
14 oz can chickpeas
1/4c fresh parsley chopped
3 green onions chopped
1 lg tomato chopped
1 c diced zucchini
1 red bell pepper
6 Tbsp oil
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 sm garlic clove, minced
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
~Boil water, add couscous and raisins, cover and remove from heat immediately. Set aside.
~In lg bowl combine all vegetables then add couscous mixture.
~In sm bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients then pour over couscous mixture.
~Enjoy!
dmitri mosier
RdrMatthewSouder wrote:
orthohawk wrote:
I go for lots of soup (2 cans of chickpeas with as many veggies as you can fit in the pot, and a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes with various flavorings for those who aren't familiar with it)) and "bean mash" spread on bread as a sandwich (just a can of beans mashed with enough to tomato paste, and minced onion to take the "canned" taste out of 'em), fruit, cereal with almond milk and lots of salads.
where do you find the Almond Milk (like a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's type place)? It sounds like an interesting alternative.
I get it at the local grocery store. But Iowa City is a pretty crunchy town :)
justasiam wrote:
Hazelrah wrote:
Fast fast soup:
Two cans black beans
Two cans corn
Just tried this and the kids loved it...so did hubby.
Thanks for the recipe
Hey thanks! I\'ll have to tell my mom she\'s a genius:^)