Ramy G
I consider it one of the greatest threats to the faith when anyone, scholar or else, casts doubts about the Scriptures we use and follow in the Church. Every now and then, a new theory arises about the origins of the Gospels. My concern here is theological: The unanimous witness of the Church is that the Gospel of Matthew was written by the Apostle Matthew and that the Gospel we have between our hands is indeed the original Gospel and not a mere translation. There existed figures who mentionned their knowledge of some documents written in Hebrew scripts by the Apostle Matthew, but these were not equated to the Gospel we have. Indeed Syriac and Aramaic translations were made of the New Testament, but not the other way around. Koine Greek was the lingua franca of the Eastern mediterranean and everyone understood it and spoke it. It\'s positive that Our Lord spoke and taught in both Greek and Aramaic, and that His words and teachings we have in the New Testament are indeed His words and not a translation.Yes there existed other gospels written in Aramaic which were not accepted as inspired by the Church and were mainly used by early Judeo-christian sects. So let\'s not lose focus because what seems like harmless \\"theorizing\\" can have theological and practical negative effects on the lives of the faithful. I wish to hear what you, brothers and sisters, think about this topic. :smirk:
Be the first person to like this.
Ramy G
Be the first person to like this.