I used to be a pretty violent person. I try very very hard to restrain myself these days. I went from the perspective that some people just have it coming and though I\'d rather not be the one to do it I wouldn\'t shirk it.
These days I\'m trying very hard to not be violent. I live around the corner from my church and there was a guy who was ringing our church bells and trying to break them. He threatened to shoot me he threatened to shoot the church and other people at the church later (this was at 1AM) and I managed to not deck him though I felt completely defeated for not doing so.
I don\'t know if there is a time and place for it, I don\'t know if I should always \\"turn the other cheek\\" and its very difficult at times.
I suspect many others have a much easier time in this regard or at least I\'d hope others have an easier time. But anyone else with a problem like this what do you do?
Be the first person to like this.
Marie Moffitt
There are a lot of issues involved in these situations, and a lot people exhibiting problem behavior turn out to be mentally ill or otherwise deeply troubled. Call the police, if necessary, and let the experts handle these cases - they are trained to do so.
I dont think Violence is ever good. When the soldiers came to deliver Christ and Peter cut off his ear, What did Jesus do? In a sense this man was doing the same thing they did to Christ, threatening to shoot the church. If we are capable of inflicting pain and hurt upon others how much more are the angels capable? I don\'t believe Iv ever seen my guardian angel slug someone I was angry at in the face though. I think if we become humble and see everyone around us as the same we wont become as angry. When we say \\"lord Jesus Christ have mercy upon ME\\" and that me is everyone else in this world. how can we see ourselves as any stronger any better, any wiser. And when persecution comes up let us rejoice that we have a chance to show our love for Christ. Even when Jesus was on the cross, he prayed for the men who scourged, mocked and beat him. No one has it coming, pray for him, that is the most effective thing you can do. its more powerful than any physical harm.
I don\'t think one can say rightly that violence is never acceptable. There are many cases where it is the only preferable option.
Marie Moffitt
The witness of the saints is to turn the other cheek.
Perhaps it depends upon the situation. I think there is more cause for action when other people are at risk. I believe a Saint some time wrote articles about when retaliation is Justified.
It is a great joy however to be martyred, I think in the upcoming Decades Orthodoxy is going to be outlawed and there will be again many red martyrs
James Anthony
outsider wrote:
I used to be a pretty violent person. I try very very hard to restrain myself these days. I went from the perspective that some people just have it coming and though I'd rather not be the one to do it I wouldn't shirk it.
These days I'm trying very hard to not be violent. I live around the corner from my church and there was a guy who was ringing our church bells and trying to break them. He threatened to shoot me he threatened to shoot the church and other people at the church later (this was at 1AM) and I managed to not deck him though I felt completely defeated for not doing so.
I don't know if there is a time and place for it, I don't know if I should always \"turn the other cheek\" and its very difficult at times.
I suspect many others have a much easier time in this regard or at least I'd hope others have an easier time. But anyone else with a problem like this what do you do?
Violence is one thing, but protecting (defending the innocent, protecting the helpless, pleading for the poor and the widow), is quite another.
The Church Father\'s quotes gathered in the Philokalia point to the overcoming of anger as means to victory over all the passions. I\'ve read of violence being what was needed to turn a person from \\"the error of their ways\\". The person who threw the punch was repentant and asked forgiveness.
the sinful and unworthy servant
Sadly the police in my city aren\'t really accountable to anyone. When I had called about it all I met with was hostility towards me for second-guessing a cop.
John Chan
artintel, you have a really odd way of chasing rabbit trails from tangential remarks...
(just thought I\'d actually mention that.)
John Chan
The irony I\'m facing right now, is that it is currently after midnight here and not twenty minutes ago I heard what sounded like multiple gunshots nearby, followed by some shouting, and then all was quiet for ten minutes - until I heard sirens off in the distance somewhere.
And I was thinking to myself \\"Should I look outside? Should I report what I heard to the police?\\"
I peeked outside and waited and eventually since all was quiet, I ignored the whole incident.
When things like that happen around here I go out to help with what I can in whatever capacity I can. I would hate to think someone bled to death in a gutter due to my inaction though everytime I\'ve had to do that I know I have to weigh it against my responsibility to my wife and child and I couldn\'t begrudge someone who didn\'t.