John Chan
I know that I can\'t keep hiding behind the excuse that \"I\'m new to all of this\" - Here we are at the Sunday of the Prodigal Son again - and I\'m thinking \"I\'m not ready!\"
Today, I was not the Prodigal Son, as I was last year. Last year, I was grovelling in repentance for my arrogance, my haughtiness and my general fool-hardy attitude about the status of my soul.
This year, I was the older brother - which I think is worse. I needed to be reminded that those who foolishly squander mercy and then ask for more of it will not be denied - it\'s God\'s Mercy and He can\'t possibly give it all away so that there\'s none left for me.
Unless I sit and sulk and refuse to accept it.
Forgivness Sunday is coming. Are you ready?
Be the first person to like this.
Dia Lamb
Dare I say I am?
But even if I am not, bring it on. Humbling me can but do me good.
James Anthony
I\'d like to think that I\'m ready. And so I struggle as I oft do with the memories of the forgiven wrong. Is it a decision of the will, or a warm fuzzy feeling? O Lord God, have mercy!!!
This account has been removed.
michalis orfanos
Sandblasted i agree... i am also confused about it
I think a better question is \"are you ready\" about 1 week after pascha... dunno about you, but I always fall into sin in the days after pascha... with a full belly, spouting off the mouth is quite easy - or any other variety of indulgant pleasures.
I find that keeping the Paschal joy is much harder than maintaining lenten sobriety.
Kseniya Mierzejewska
Sandblasted wrote:
I'd like to think that I'm ready. And so I struggle as I oft do with the memories of the forgiven wrong. Is it a decision of the will, or a warm fuzzy feeling? O Lord God, have mercy!!!
I don\'t believe that forgiveness is a feeling, myself. I\'ve heard it said that forgiveness is a conscious decision to leave the judgment of the person who wronged you up to God -- in that sense, it\'s a decision the same way love is a decision. It\'s nice if the warm fuzzy feelings come with it, but the feelings aren\'t the point. (I\'m no good at the feelings part of forgiveness.)
I\'m a little apprehensive about Forgiveness Sunday this year. We had a not-insignificant kerfluffle in the parish last year, and the married couple responsible for it remained in the parish (much to the discomfort of many). I had no part in the kerfluffle, but I\'m feeling goaded by my conscience to approach them on Forgiveness Sunday and ask their forgiveness, because it did affect me. But I\'m also absolutely terrified of the both of them. It\'s going to take a major effort for me to go anywhere near them, much less speak to them.
Lord have mercy on me a sinner!
I\'m not ready. And I have a feeling I will be kicking and screaming all during Lent. This season used to be so easy for me. But it is getting harder the more complicated my life gets. Does it make me a sinner? I already am. Does it make me a bad Christian? Only if I stop trying.
John Chan
ostonvasi wrote:
I'm not ready. And I have a feeling I will be kicking and screaming all during Lent. This season used to be so easy for me. But it is getting harder the more complicated my life gets. Does it make me a sinner? I already am. Does it make me a bad Christian? Only if I stop trying.
I often have this feeling like you\'ve been reading my mail, ostanovasi...
NICE find!
This thread needs:
I do not like tofu cold or hot.
I do not like them shaped like a robot.
I do not them scrambled with ham,
I do not like them John Chan I am.
:)
Since it\'s lent I probably should have written..
I do not like them scrambled with yams! :)
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:)
Lent can be fraught with the sort of anxiety one has when visiting the doctor after a long absence. You will find out things you don\'t want to hear or face, but that you need to know and deal with.
Whats wrong Fr. Athanasios? ;)
Don\'t you like my Dr Seuss?
Would you rather eat a goose?
You do not like tofu with yams?
Then you should try them fried with clams.
John Chan
I have no need for tofu
I have no need for yams
I am under the curse of the flu
and the thought of such things causes spasms.
It\'s been 58 hours since I last ate
and I\'m still here hovering
the thought of anything on a plate
will surely arrest my recovering