Is their a Roman Orthodox? Or is it just the Roman Catholicism?
Be the first person to like this.
There\'s an Italian Orthodox Church...
Marie Moffitt
Under the Ottoman millet system, the Turks referred to the Orthodox as the \\"Rum\\" (= \\"roman,\\" pronounced \\"room\\") millet, and the Patriarchate of Constantinople as the \\"Rum Patriarchate.\\"
We had a priest who used to joke that that made the Orthodox the REAL \\"Roman Catholics\\" (\\"Catholic\\" = \\"universal\\")!
Hello i hava one question what is between diference Ethiopian Orthodox and Others could you explain me? please.2why is old testament is rejected?
3 if it is rejected why is Jesus said \\"do not think that i came to destroy the law moses and prophets i did not come todestroy but to fill full. Mat: 5 17 for assuredly i say to youtill heaven and earth pass away.
4 why is moses ark rejected God said to moses i will speak with you and i give for children of Israel my comandment\\"when we think about prophets and moses books did reject ? please this is my question i need to learn more because Orthodox is accepted with testament we orthodox rejected animals blood to offering to God. that is Jesus him self Redemption and given for us. please i learn from you more thanks
in christ
land promise
Ryan McGee
yigezu wrote:
Hello i hava one question what is between diference Ethiopian Orthodox and Others could you explain me? please.2why is old testament is rejected?
3 if it is rejected why is Jesus said \"do not think that i came to destroy the law moses and prophets i did not come todestroy but to fill full. Mat: 5 17 for assuredly i say to youtill heaven and earth pass away.
4 why is moses ark rejected God said to moses i will speak with you and i give for children of Israel my comandment\"when we think about prophets and moses books did reject ? please this is my question i need to learn more because Orthodox is accepted with testament we orthodox rejected animals blood to offering to God. that is Jesus him self Redemption and given for us. please i learn from you more thanks
in christ
land promise
To my knowledge, the Ethiopian Orthodox Church does not reject the Old Testament. As with most Orthodox and Christian churches, the Old Testament is part of the canon of Scripture.
Now, the the Law of the Old Testament no longer applies to us. The Law is good; through it we know our sins; but the Law of the Old Testament cannot save us. Our new sacrifice is the Eucharist, Christ Himself, whose offering up of Himself we mystically celebrate at every Eucharistic Liturgy.
Ryan McGee
Just a clarification: it would be more correct to say that we are no longer under than the law than the Law of the Old Testament no longer applies to us.
Ryan McGee
orthodox_makedonija wrote:
Yes there is very big deference.As you see here some Orthodox people dont use old testament,and use Gregorian calendar(from catholic church).This is short explain but very big defernce,like heaven and hell.
In Christ
What do you mean when you write here some Orthodox people don\'t use old testament?
Marie Moffitt
I have never heard of any Orthodox people who don\'t read the Old Testament. It\'s in the services, for one thing.
Marie Moffitt
We follow what Jesus said about the relationship of the the Old Testament and the New Testament. I don\'t understand your point.
Reader Michael Malloy
Back to the original question - \\"Is there a Roman Orthodox Church?\\"
Yes and no. Yes if you happen to be Roman Catholic. They dress up like real Orthodox and copy our services very well but make no mistake, they are wolves in sheeps clothing. We call them Uniats.
I think Reader Michael gives an uncharitable description of the Uniates, who call themselves Eastern Catholics or Byzantine-Rite Catholics.
As I understand the history, these were Orthodox Christians living in the western Ukraine who were conquered by the \\"Holy Roman (Austrian) Empire\\" during the late 16th century. They were forcibly reunited with the Roman Pope in the Union of Brest in 1596 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_of_Brest).
But they still do not profess the filioque, and as I understand they venerate the saints of the Orthodox Church. So, they see themselves as fully Orthodox, but reunited with Rome. The irony is that the Union of Brest, which was supposed to help reunite the Christian East and West, has instead become another (serious) impediment against it.
In response to the original question, I suppose about the closest thing you could point to for a \\"Roman Orthodox Church\\" would be a Western-Rite Orthodox Church. In the Antiochian Archdiocese and in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR) there exists some western Christian bodies who have expressed a desire to reunite with the Christian East. Many of these have been Episcopal Churches who have wished to return to traditional Christian practices. Thus the Antiochian Archdiocese founded the Western Rite vicarate. These ar churches who wish to observe western Christian worship and belief as it existed prior to 1453. For more information on this see http://www.westernorthodox.com/ and also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Orthodoxy
yigezu wrote:
Hello i hava one question what is between diference Ethiopian Orthodox and Others
Well the Coptic Orthodox Church is very close to the Ethiopina Tawahedo church, as far as I know, there are no significant differences between the two Oriental Orthodox churches.
God bless you
My dear friends a very good site for Dogma questions in many languages is http://www.oodegr.com/
Anyways in simple words: the Old Testament is used to understand the New Testament. That is our \\"GOSPEL\\" that is what we believe. Otherwise the Old Testament is the MOST antisemitic book ever written. What they were doing then, they are doing even now. They were never with God.
ScottH247 wrote:
Is their a Roman Orthodox? Or is it just the Roman Catholicism?
well The Orthodox Church Has a Western Rite Liturgy in the Antiochioan Archdiocese, so they have the Roman Vestmants and Church building ways The Western right church is in Communion with the Orthodox Church. The Catholics have a group called Maronites they use an Eastern Liturgy except they commemorate the Pope. The Maronites are not in communion with the Orthodox Church.