My birth and baptismal name is Noah. I have been researching it and I cannot find a date in which Noah is celebrated as a name day. :confused: My brother said it would be Sunday of the Forefathers. (second Sunday before the Nativity) Could I change my baptismal name?
Be the first person to like this.
check your last name, while its not common in all branches of orthodoxy some families go by the nameday of their surname. For example there were a few patriarchs that share my last name so sometimes I go with that with the family.
My last name is Klarr. There are no saints that share my last name. That is what you are saying, correct?
why would you want to?
cocoapuffs wrote:
My last name is Klarr. There are no saints that share my last name. That is what you are saying, correct?
Yes that would be the idea. Look for your name\'s roots, perhaps there is a derivation or a different spelling, or its a whole different word in another language. I\'m not saying its easy or possible, just an idea to look into.
Example, Louis is Elias in Greek, which is Elijah in Hebrew whom is a saint. If you didn\'t know the connection you wouldn\'t know his name day would be yours. (a simple example of course)
Marie Moffitt
Why would you want to change your baptismal name?
MariaM wrote:
Why would you want to change your baptismal name?
I believe he said it was because he did a lot of research and could not find a Name\'s Day for it.
Noah\'s feastday is celebrated on January 28th of the Julian Calendar (Old Style). Hope this helps.
Marie Moffitt
If there is no other specific date for your nameday, you celebrate All Saints. Everyone has a nameday!
Ryan McGee
You can become a monk and get a new name.
thanks everyone! yes, i wanted to change it because i couldnt find a feast day after researching it. thanks for the answer Moses
I seem to recall a new name is possible by receiving communion under the new name, but I would think you only do that after a deal of thought, prayer and with the blessing of a spiritual father.
Dn Paulinus Heggs

I've had this discussion with someone who was accidentally given Holy Communion by her sister's name  We didn't come to any firm conclusion.

Presvytera Vassi Haros

Are you still thinking changing your name.?  I've never heard of anyone getting a new baptismal name, but people get new names when they join a monastery or are ordained.