Ryan McGee
For several years I attended a parish that every Sunday gave out bulletins printed by Eastern Christian Publications (well, the outside covers are printed by them). The front of the bulletin always has an icon that relates to the feast day being celebrated, and the back side has a wise saying or meditation, generally from one of the Fathers. The icons are in full color.
In any case, I\'m wondering what I should do with them. Already, I\'ve done things with half of them. I cut out fifteen of the icons, pasted them to a gold poster board, and then laminated them. Other icons I have cut out and taped to the front and back covers of my Christian books. Is it all right to treat icons in this manner?
Be the first person to like this.
Naomi Leventis
I know what you mean..every Sunday I get one and when I come home I just put it in my mail holder with all the other ones. When I taught Sunday School I used to use them for projects....making stain glass windows (out of tissue paper of course, or colored saran wrap) and used them in making triptichs (sp?). But do they really qualify as icons?? What do they do with them at Church...throw them out??
Burn them. :)
many of my private icons are self made print outs and than laminated. Those I would not toss away. but if it is \\"only\\" printed on a bulletin, than I had no problem to toss it away. But I you have prayed with them, then it is different. IMHO
Jannis
Daniel Rudder
It is considered a sin to just throw away an image of Christ (not too sure of the saints).
the proper way to (get rid of) would be to burn, not to put in a trash can. Using these wonderful icons to create art work for the home or really great way to get sunday school classes to create things out of them is best.
I have the same sort of dilemma... Believe it or not we have an old calendar from 2001 still on display in our laundry room because I just don\'t know what to do with it. To be honest I question whether or not we should really be using icons in a \\"disposable\\" manner to begin with. I wrestle with this notion.
Church bulletins at the church I most recently attended had a reminder on them to not just throw away ones that had icons printed on them but to either keep them or to burn them and if one isn\'t able to burn them than to leave them at the church where they would then be burned.
Kerygma wrote:
crosscrafter wrote:
It is considered a sin to just throw away an image of Christ (not too sure of the saints).
the proper way to (get rid of) would be to burn, not to put in a trash can. Using these wonderful icons to create art work for the home or really great way to get sunday school classes to create things out of them is best.
Nonsense. I'm not sure who considers it to be a sin, but if that really were what Orthodoxy taught, I would run, not walk away from it. I'm not a materialist. An image is just an image. I understand our view of icons which have been blessed. Images on bulletins and in comics (yes...even some Sunday schools have images of our Lord) are NOT sacred... period. You wish to treat them so... fine. I don't. Let's agree to disagree.
Right, I\'ve heard different opinions on this one as well. It\'s really hard to tell...
Peter L
We used to toss them away, but it felt uncomfortable. Our new parish priest has suggested that any such item (including old flowers and palms) be returned to him. He then buries them whenever he has a funeral.