Hello!
Does anyone know where I can get a copy of this icon?
http://home.att.net/~sergei592/20thcOrthPillars.jpg
I could not find contact info. for the webmaster of the main site, so thought I\'d ask here.
Be the first person to like this.
This is part of a mural in the church of the Holy Wisdom at New Skete, a dependency of the Holy Trinity Cathedral, Boston (OCA jurisdiction). The photograph which comes up in the link you provided has been doctored. Figures in this mural have been removed, being those of Dorothy Day and Mother Theresa. Other murals in this church show the figures of Archbishop Michael Ramsey and Pope Paul VI. None of these people are Orthodox Christians, and their images should never have been painted (even without haloes) in an Orthodox Church.
For more information, look up the thread \"New Skete\" on this forum. There is much food for thought there.
I might add that Maria Skobtsova was recently glorified as a saint of the Orthodox Church, as St Maria of Ravensbruck and Paris. Of Frs Lev Gillet, Alexander Men and Alexander Schmemann, I have no information as to whether they have been glorified, or are in the process of being so. The rationale behind their appearance in the New Skete church is that they were \"great Orthodox thinkers and writers of the 20th century\". True enough, but time will tell if they are elevated to sainthood by the Church.
Be the first person to like this.