This is a thread for sharing infromation about our patron saints! Mine is Anthony the Great I no longer fear God but love him
Be the first person to like this.
My patron is St. Michael the Archangel, since it was the middle name my parents gave me and I chose to keep it after my chrismation into Holy Orthodoxy.
Paul Barrera
My patron is the Holy, Glorious, All-Honorable Apostle Paul. And now that I\'ve heard the story fo St Sevastiane, I want to name my daughter that! If I have one, God willing....
Mine is Gregory Palamas. I also ask the Theotokos, St. John the Theologian, St. Patrick the Enlightener of Ireland, St. Colmcille(Columba), St. Athanasios, St. Andrew, St. George, and the Holy Hierarchs to interceed for me.
Νικόλαος Slayton
Saint Nicholas is my patron saint.
I didn\'t know how to chose a patron saint or who to chose, but I Think they chose you if you\'re open to that.
St. Constantine the Great.
He was the Roman emperor who ended the persecution of Christians, called the First Council of Nicea in 325, founded the city of Constantinople and had many cathedrals and churches built.
Besides the Most Holy Theotokos whose name I bear, my secondary patron is St. Marina (17 July) on whose feast I have my birthday.
Alan Teague
Well my patron is St. Alan of Cornwall also known as St. Elian in Wales. His name day is near to my birthday and I read that Alan was an old English Orthodox name. Not much seems to be known about him, maybe a lot o information was lost when Henry V111 destroyed a lot of monasteries. England was Orthodox up to 1066 I believe, shame it didn\'t stay that way. Just my opinion. :D
I think, in some deeper sence it is God, who chooses our patron saint. Wether through our seeking and our decision, or through the decision of our priest or spiritual father/mother, or that we see an icon or read the life of a saint and suddenly and certainly know: He/She is it!
So either God leads someone to make the right decision or maybe he asks a particular saint to meet a certain person.
For me, I think, it was St. John who came up to me. I saw his icon and loved him at first sight. I didn\'t know this saint. I decipherd his name, written on the icon, and back home a searched the internet. What I read about his life moved me and I found it so fitting for me. I had searched yet for a certain period of time, looked at icons, read life storys. Some were interesting. But it would have been a arbitrary decison to take A instead of B or C as patron saint. And then he came. And I knew: yes, he is it.
Jannis
Steven Adams
This account has been removed.
James Anthony
Anjali wrote:
I am curious about what people mean by the patron saint choosing them? What is that like?
In the same sense as the man Joshua; who, when the camp of Israel convinced Aaron to make them a god to go before them because they did not know what had happened to Moses on the Holy Mountain; after Samuel there were men who followed the prophets. There was a \\"school\\" of prophets\\". Elisha, staying true to the God of Israel; followed the prophet Elijah. Who when he understood that Elisha would not turn back from following, granted Elisha\'s wish that a \\"...portion of the Spirit...\\" that was on Elijah would come upon him.
The book of Hebrews tells us that we are surrounded with a \\"...great cloud of witnesses...\\", who are the saints who have gone before us, who believing in Jesus, though they are dead, yet they live. They are watching us as we struggle onwards in our journeys. And, each sees in us something of the spiritual verve which so animated their lives. As well as the sins which so troubled them.
I pray that helps you. Pray for me:
the sinful and unworthy servant
Alexandra Sabau
My patron saint is Saint Alexandra the Emperess...I have tried to find as much about her as possible. The thing I still don't know yet is her origin: was she Roman or Greek? If anyone knows please let me know where to read about this. Thank you
Fr. Germogen Tucker
July 25, tommorow is thr Repose of the Righteous Anna, mother of the Theotokos. You have already a name of a saint.
Charles Compston
St. Moses the Black/Ethiopian/Strong
We share...similarities in background....
Peter Hampe
St Peter the Apostle. I was named after him by my parents, and I've sort of taken him as a role model - at least as far as \"Like my namesake I ask 'Where else can I go?' and 'well\",St Peter tended to stick his foot in his mouth too.\"
But I have been having an amazing \"rappor\" with St Mary of Egypt. It isn't easy, reversing the habits of a lifetime.
pyotr
My patron saint is St. Nicholas of Japan. He was born in Smolensk in 1836 and became a monk in his early twenties. He became a priest shortly thereafter. He heard about these strange people in the Orient and decided that he wanted to share the gospel with them. He went to Hakodate, in the north island of Hokkaido in 1861. He made converts, including a samurai who initally wanted to kill him. I chose him because I admire his determination, and also because I lived in Japan for three years. during my twenties. (No one told me that I was supposed to pick a female saint. I don't think it matters).