I just watched this documentary this past week, and really enjoyed it.
The basic synopsis is that this 82 year old bachelor from Denmark has dreamed, for 40 years, of having his old castle be turned into an Russian Orthodox Monastery.
He finally gets the Moscow Patriarchates interest, and they send a small group of nuns to check it out. Ultimately one nun, M. Amvrosia, helps with the restoration/rehabilitation of the castle....it hadn\'t been lived in for 20 years, and was a ruin in some ways.
The cinematographer followed Mr. Vig and M. Amvrosia for almost 5 years....Mr. Vig in particular. It was very interesting to see the progress.
I liked it a lot. There are English subtitles, and sometimes the people are speaking Dutch, Russian, or English.
Mr. Vig has quite a collection of hats, and is an interesting old man. Think what it would be like if you had this idea for 40 years, and then reality struck as you are trying to put it into action.....
I found it at our public library. It has won all kind of awards internationally.
Be the first person to like this.
My wife and I bought this video a few weeks ago at the Church bookstore..we haven\'t watched it yet though..thanks for the review.
I was loaned a copy by a professional movie reviewer friend. He was impressed.
I thought it was great in that it highlighted some of the \\"quirky\\" personalities involved in getting something like that done.
I just added it to my Netflix list. Thanks for the recommendation!